Pre-Game Talk: Dallas vs Vancouver 1pm start ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Why is it 1 pm start for a Home Game ?

This has to be the 1st one ever in franchise history?

Personally i hate it, i'll say that the ratings on this one will be low.

Saturday afternoon is primetime family time. Sure if youre going to the game thats great, but for the most of us, Saturday afternoon is one of the busiest in the week.

To bad too... Pettersson vs Heiskanen

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
That is super early, thats not eastern time tho is it?

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
I've heard that the NHL has been scheduling more early games in recent years to make the league more accessible to markets in Europe and Asia.

Reactions: VintageBure

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
There was a 1pm home game against the jackets in March. It was thatcher Demko's debut.

It happens every so often. When I was a kid, many games weren't even televised.

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
I went to a 1PM sunday game against Columbus either last year or the year before. Boy that was a mistake. Due to tickets being cheap cause the team was trash and the early start, the arena was packed with families with a ton of young children. Nothing better than standing up every couple seconds to let kids go by for bathroom breaks, snack breaks, etc etc. Also got a bunch of dirty looks as I was trashed because I'm a degenerate.

Tickets cost me 11 USD each for section 111 tho so I can't complain.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
They do that every once in a while, I think thats even Canucks request. Reasoning was indeed to make it easier for families with little kids. If I remember correctly there was even a 11am start a few years ago.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
2-3 home afternoon games/year has always happened.

It's a cool change. Except when you forget it's an early game, which is how young me missed us beating Calgary 11-0 in 1992.

Reactions: cookiefest

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
What exactly are people upset about?

This same thread pops up ever season a few times. Have no idea why people legitimately get upset over this :laugh:. Its one game out of how many? And it's great for families and people in general to get out in the afternoons, enjoy a game, and then have the rest of the evening to do what they like.

A single game time being inconvenient for a small group of people on a couple occasions throughout an entire season doesn't make it a terrible thing, believe it or not.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Is someone actually arguing that a 1pm start is bad for families with kids?

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
2-3 home afternoon games/year has always happened.

It's a cool change. Except when you forget it's an early game, which is how young me missed us beating Calgary 11-0 in 1992.

I got super nintendo for my birthday the month before, and I was playing simcity instead of watching. I remember my dad hollering at me from the living room

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Not a big deal, I remember going to games at 2pm PST against Pittsburgh at Pacific Coliseum so it's not that big of a deal to host a Sunday matinee game.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It's 11am start time here in Hawaii. No problem with me, I love waki g up to early Canuck games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not really....people often have things going on Saturday mid day.
The people who bought tickets know about the start time. It’s the people who would be watching the game on tv that it would impact now. If you miss this upcoming what’s the big deal?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I love this.
I love when the Lions and and Whitecaps go to 1pm as well...

I seek those games out so I can take my boys.... They are 7 and 5, bedtime is 7:30ish. Have taken em to 3 Lions games over the last 2 yrs and a caps game... they manage to get through most of them.

I made the mistake 3 yrs ago of taking my then 4 yr old to a Canucks game... and he was begging to leave before the end of the first... I said "never" again.

This will be their 1st 'real' Canucks game..

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I can finally watch a game live, that's nice.
Love the 1:00pm start

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Hockey night in Canada. I certainly have nothing to be upset about, I get to watch hockey all day.

But, in general early starts at home can be a bit annoying, since the only reason is so that other Canadian teams get the prime-time spotlight instead. It's always been the Canucks on the shaft end of the schedule spectrum. Ottawa too. They have a 1pm eastern game.

Let's not fool ourselves, they aren't doing it for international markets or for families. They're doing it because more people will watch Toronto or Edmcdavid (although, I'll admit Vegas probably factors in as well).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad