Confirmed with Link: Dallas trades James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Penguins for Alex Goligoski.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I like it. The Stars are very deep at left-shot LW and weak at D, it saves more cap and real dollars (approx. $2.5 million this year and next) and it gets them a shake up among the, er, non-producers at forward.

MetalGodAOD*

I like it too. Should have pushed for that 2nd or 3rd rounder though. A good trade IMO.

People on the trade boards are acting like Neal is Bobby Ryan or something.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
They did what now?! o_O
Fine, Niskanen is essentially dead weight... But really, Neal for Goligoski? I mean sure, he's a good player but... *sigh*
And while we're at it, at the very least I think Niskanen should have warranted a pick if nothing else... As a straight trade Neal for Goligoski it's questionable, but now they're getting an extra on top of that and that ain't right... At the very least, where's my bag of pucks?!

Fleuryfan29

Apr 1, 2004
Barrie, Ontario
www.freewebs.com
Good Luck with GoGo.... I will miss him. You guys will have a solid PPQB real soon with Alex.
I like James Neal as well from what I remember of him playing for the World Jr's a couple years back, but whats the other dude like? Ovencive, Defencive? Big Hitter?

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
I am surprised you guys aren't as disappointed as I expected. Or are you guys more or less fine with it because you have Benn?

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
still can't believe this, Neal is worth more and Pens would have to add if they wanted him. But what does Nieuwy do? We add instead....
I'm praying there is more to the trade that hasen't been announced yet

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Niskanen has negative value, that's the reason the Stars couldn't get a pick back. Pittsburgh did us a favor by taking him. Once again goes to show he shouldn't have been offered that generous contract in the summer.

Needless to say this is a massive risk. Neal has a very real chance to be one of the best players this franchise has ever developed. The player we saw for most of this season not at his best is nevertheless very valuable, and if he regains his confidence and rookie form we'll look back on this day with deep regret.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Just thought I'd come in here as a Pens fan and reassure you that Dallas just got a very, very good young defenseman.

The main boards are blowing up about the Stars getting fleeced, but puck-movement is so important in the NHL that cheap PMDs like Gogs are worth their weight in gold.

He has the potential to be a top 5 offensive defenseman in the NHL, and his defensive game has been rounding out nicely too. Should be a trade that helps both teams out immensely. :)

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Atleast this means that Richards will stay... Cause losing both Neal and Richards the same damn season... Well, Nieuwy would have to leave town...

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Also, Neal's value isn't as high as HFers think league-wide. He has a reputation for being inconsistent (earned) and picking up points against lesser competition (possibly earned -- haven't run the numbers myself).

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Watch Goligoski leave for free agency after next summer. GM Joe is an idiot! He mustn't have realized that Goli is only an RFA for one more year. I mean... did that not play a factor into this trade? He couldn't even get a late pick out of this? The only positive out all this is that we clear more salary for next year.

The more I think about it, this is just a small part of Joe's plan to resign Richards. He's reducing as much salary from those back loaded contracts as possible.

5.25 (Neal & Nisky's total salaries) - 2.75 (Goli) = 2.5 mil. of loose cash for Richie.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I like it too. Should have pushed for that 2nd or 3rd rounder though. A good trade IMO.

People on the trade boards are acting like Neal is Bobby Ryan or something.

Should have pushed for a 1st Rounder...

Goligoski is not a top 2 defensemen, and never will be. It doesn't take any weight off Robidas which was what we really needed in a defensemen.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
Dallas still has a bunch of high potential wingers left in the system.

Scott Glennie
Tomas Vincour
Alex Chiasson
and possibly Curtis Mackenzie.

Losing Neal does not affect them in the long term, but gaining Goligoski has a tremendous impact on the Stars blueline. More mobility and a D-man with a good point shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad