I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
3fxxss.jpg

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
The players had a chance to change the narrative. They had an agenda and lied to each other. I hope they come out tonight on a crusade, but I fear the refs, media and fans will lose them this game. They'll be unlucky and Lou hands out bad contracts.
At this point, I'm looking past wins and losses.

Let's start with playing engaged, intense, intelligent hockey.

They do that, they win more often than they lose.

And the fans that pay good coin to support them, get an on ice product they can be proud of.

Reactions: HolyCrap and banks

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs usually respond well after an embarrassing loss where they played down to the level of their competition.

The Dallas Stars are 3-0 on the season and have outscored their opposition 13-3 in those games.

Leafs are going to need a real strong performance today against a worthy opponent to come away with a win.

Lets see what kind of impact those behind close doors meetings had on compete & contribution levels by the players today.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Leafs usually respond well after an embarrassing loss where they played down to the level of their competition.

The Dallas Stars are 3-0 on the season and have outscored their opposition 13-3 in those games.

Leafs are going to need a real strong performance today against a worthy opponent to come away with a win.

Lets see what kind of impact those behind close doors meetings had on compete & contribution levels by the players today.

From what I can remember....

1) There was a Marleau speech that got people going
2) There was a Jumbo Joe speech that got people going
3) Last 2 years there was Spezza speech that got people going

Now..... ????

It would be a glorious day if we can hear Matthews or Tavares losing their shit in the locker room and calling people out for not putting an honest effort

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
From what I can remember....

1) There was a Marleau speech that got people going
2) There was a Jumbo Joe speech that got people going
3) Last 2 years there was Spezza speech that got people going

Now..... ????

It would be a glorious day if we can hear Matthews or Tavares losing their shit in the locker room and calling people out for not putting an honest effort

Would be cool if they didn't need speeches and had the internal motivation.

That kind of resilience is usually only found in the truly exceptional, though - Guys like Point, Keith, Doughty, ROR, Bergeron.

Reactions: PromisedLand

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

If it was obvious the Leafs would lose to Arizona it is obvious they will win tonight IMO.

I think the team goes on a bit of a run here. Wouldn't be surprised if they win 7 of their next 10

Reactions: Jojalu

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Leafs will be fine. Heading to the game tonight. Hoping they win if for no other reason than to shut people up.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Damn that’s tough news to hear :(.. Hopefully Muzzin can sit the rest of the season. Have some rest and give us one more crack at the playoffs before he goes on LTIRetirment
he isn't kucherov. Not sure I'd want a cold old Muzzin anywhere near the ice when playoffs start tbh. Shut him down, life is way more important.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I feel the same. I know the leafs will end high in the standings. But this lack of killer instinct against sub-par opponents (Habs and Coyotes) is very concerning

I was listening to a Leafs podcast and they mentioned killer instinct. How some teams will just trounce another team into the dirt.

This team has never shown a killer instinct in their recent history.
Yep, we've seen it before and we know how it ends.
I think it really comes down to some fans care a little more than others.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Tampa hadn't played like they're uninterested out there.

It's not the losses. Well a little. It's definitely how they are losing.

This team has something to prove. They know it. They feel it. And the players know we know it.

And yet they are barely competitive against 2 bottom feeder teams. Lose the game while competing and getting f***ed by the ref, fine. I wont be happy but I'll certainly won't be concerned.

But to be so uninvolved in those games is definitely concerning.

All I want tonight is for the best leaf's players, to be the best players on the ice. Win or lose, at least give a shit

I'd be more worried if my team was playing well and losing than keeping games close and looking like they are not trying... at least 4 games in.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Leafs are old. They're currently listed as the 4th oldest.

Playing the kids should inject some enthusiasm and energy into the line-up.

Robertson made the team in camp... Only Cap management prevented him from playing in the NHL.
Wow, 4th oldest with a thin prospect pool. What could go wrong ? The Genius is staggering. How to scuttle a build and get away with it 101, leaving the cupboards completely bare as Mathews walks.

Reactions: ToneDog

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Saying the Leafs are the '4th oldest' is a bit disingenuous without context. The only player over the age of 27 in the top six is Tavares, and from the regulars in the forward line-up only Jarnkrok and Tavares are over 28 years old. Simmonds getting called up drags down the age as well.

The defense ranks older for sure, but Gio and Brodie still look great and have no issues keeping up. Holl (who is 30) is off the books this summer, and Gio, Brodie, Muzzin will all be UFA 2024 (assuming Muzzin even comes back), at which point hopefully Sandin and Liljegren have taken on bigger roles. I will concede that our defense going forward is thin and I hope we can make some good acquisitions or guys like Niemela can make the jump.

The Leafs are not some geezer team, most of the core players are in their prime or just starting to hit it.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Wow, 4th oldest with a thin prospect pool. What could go wrong ? The Genius is staggering. How to scuttle a build and get away with it 101, leaving the cupboards completely bare as Mathews walks.
What are you basing thin prospect pool on?

Consensus would be middle of pack. Which considering they make the playoffs every year and are ahead of Boston, TB, and Florida while still having a young core puts them in a good position.

Reactions: stickty111

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
What are you basing thin prospect pool on?

Consensus would be middle of pack. Which considering they make the playoffs every year and are ahead of Boston, TB, and Florida while still having a young core puts them in a good position.
I don't buy mid pack but rather closer to 20th myself but whatever. After the top 5, its either 3 or 4th liners, easy to get in FA or 6 and 7 Dmen. Also easy to get. The top end quality just isn't there outside Knies. The goalies are a complete unknown. I'm just not that excited about this years crop.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I feel the same. I know the leafs will end high in the standings. But this lack of killer instinct against sub-par opponents (Habs and Coyotes) is very concerning

I was listening to a Leafs podcast and they mentioned killer instinct. How some teams will just trounce another team into the dirt.

This team has never shown a killer instinct in their recent history.

This is hyperbole. Good teams have bad games against bad teams. And to claim we've never destroyed a bad opponent? Com eon now

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't buy mid pack but rather closer to 20th myself but whatever. After the top 5, its either 3 or 4th liners, easy to get in FA or 6 and 7 Dmen. Also easy to get. The top end quality just isn't there outside Knies. The goalies are a complete unknown. I'm just not that excited about this years crop.

Watching for decades prospects is subjective and often wrong. If we actually tracked the so called experts from say their last 20 years, you would see its more like throwing darts blindfolded while doing whiskey shots.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is hyperbole. Good teams have bad games against bad teams. And to claim we've never destroyed a bad opponent? Com eon now

yup did't colorado lose like 6 out of 7 heading into the playoffs? They also lost to the coyotes twice last year!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Saying the Leafs are the '4th oldest' is a bit disingenuous without context. The only player over the age of 27 in the top six is Tavares, and from the regulars in the forward line-up only Jarnkrok and Tavares are over 28 years old. Simmonds getting called up drags down the age as well.

The defense ranks older for sure, but Gio and Brodie still look great and have no issues keeping up. Holl (who is 30) is off the books this summer, and Gio, Brodie, Muzzin will all be UFA 2024 (assuming Muzzin even comes back), at which point hopefully Sandin and Liljegren have taken on bigger roles. I will concede that our defense going forward is thin and I hope we can make some good acquisitions or guys like Niemela can make the jump.

The Leafs are not some geezer team, most of the core players are in their prime or just starting to hit it.

We will likely be getting a lot younger up front in the near future too. A lot of 22-24 year olds who are going to start taking spots from guys entering their late 20's as soon as this year.

Defense will be the main issue going forward. Between Kral, Kokkonen, Villeneuve, and Niemela, we have a pair of solid defensive prospects on each side of the ice. If we get one from each side, then we will be in a solid spot. Defense should be a focal point in future drafts and the UFA market though, as other than these 4 guys and maybe Koster, I am not seeing anything that comes close to NHL caliber and it has been a weak point for the Marlies for a few years now. There are a few interesting NCAA/Euro UFA's who can help us out there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If it was obvious the Leafs would lose to Arizona it is obvious they will win tonight IMO.

I think the team goes on a bit of a run here. Wouldn't be surprised if they win 7 of their next 10

Leafs started last year at 2-4-1, so this isn't the first time the Leafs came out flat on a new season.

The Leafs turnaround happen when Jack Campbell went 9-2-0 in Nov posting a 1.27 GAA and .959 sv%. with 3 shutouts.

Reactions: Petrus and ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad