Speculation: Dallas Stars - unsung deadline buyer?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think they should swoop in and grab Tanev. Shore up that top 4 and they are *very* legit cup contenders. Maybe Parayko if the cap can work out.

I was looking at their stats the other day and it's insane how much offensive depth and firepower they have.

Hintz: 22 goals
Pavelski: 19 goals
Robertston: 17 goals
Seguin: 17 goals
Duchene: 17 goals
Marchment: 16 goals
Johnston : 14 goals

That's an insane amount of guys you can hope step up and score each game and that's not even counting Jamie Benn who could have a big second half after a pretty pedestrian first half in the goal scoring department.

Stars are legit and it's a huge miss by Nill if he doesn't add a top 4 at the TDL.

A week or so ago I heard on one of the broadcasts that Dallas was the only team in the league with 8 forwards who were at double digits in goals. Not sure if that's still the case (I doubt it) but the depth they've shown up front, plus now on the back end as well (Harley's up to 12 on the year), definitely good to see.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Which players make sense as "salary out" inclusions, if need be? Dadonov? Faksa?
They honestly both can go. Dadonov can be replaced by Bourque or Stankoven. Faksa can be replaced by Dellandrea. I would not be opposed to moving both. That frees up 5.5 and Dallas could a legit top 4D.

Reactions: Dallasman

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
..buut in this hockey economy, who is taking our mediocre cap chunks and giving us back solid D?
I hate to be a naysayer, but I could see Jim Nill Liking Where We're At since our prospects will help give us some cap relief in the future.

I'd love us to make a move, but its probably going to hurt us to do it.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I'd be interested in Bischel and or their first. Vatrano, Henrique, Silverberg, Lybushkin, Fowler. Any of interest? We could retain for a favorable return of course.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
..buut in this hockey economy, who is taking our mediocre cap chunks and giving us back solid D?
I hate to be a naysayer, but I could see Jim Nill Liking Where We're At since our prospects will help give us some cap relief in the future.

I'd love us to make a move, but its probably going to hurt us to do it.
That’s why I don’t throw names out there. I don’t see an actual trade. I could see Faksa going the other way for cap purposes but I’m not moving bischel and a 1st for Hanifin who is a rental and that seems to but the ask.

Reactions: JeffP

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd be interested in Bischel and or their first. Vatrano, Henrique, Silverberg, Lybushkin, Fowler. Any of interest? We could retain for a favorable return of course.

Highly unlikely Nill moves Bichsel. He doesn't really like to trade any prospects at all that he drafts. If he does trade one, it'd probably be one of our lesser forward prospects

Reactions: LT

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Dellandrea sucks AND takes a lot of dumb penalties
Don’t forget the hits. He seems to get blown up every game.

That being said I would take him if it means Faksa moves for a top 4D. I have never been a Dellandrea fan but Nill likes him. I would rather Stankoven take the spot but I doubt that will happen.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
The emergence of Harley kind of puts all need for acquisitions on the backburner. They obviously could use another D, but it’s not like a desperate need anymore. In other words Tanev fits the bill, but Nill will gladly abstain if it looks like an overpay. He never really goes above market value and has little reason to this year with what’s there already.

The PP is average to strong, and I think trends up with Miro back. The PK is borderline elite. They have the best forward unit 1-12 in the league (or one of them) and you’re obviously not going to make a move in net. With that, I think the main goal is to get Hakanpaa as the 7th D or move him for an improvement to the top four. I like the idea of Ferraro or Savard, but don’t know if they’re good enough to pony up what it would take. I just don’t think moving another first is really needed here.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Definitely yes. Not sure Philly would move him the way they are playing now?
Him and Larsson are my top targets. Would love to add both and have Suter sit.
idk that philly is a seller yet, but the way they're playing now isn't great. lost i think 5 straight, and a -1 goal diff for the season.
i don't follow them closely enough to know if it's injury related or what.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Definitely yes. Not sure Philly would move him the way they are playing now?
Him and Larsson are my top targets. Would love to add both and have Suter sit.
Thanks for your reply, John. The front office has explicitly stated that they remain committed to a rebuild, with the anticipated news about Carter Hart further complicating -- I hate to use understatement for such a terrible situation -- the Flyers' continued surprisingly high level of play. I am hopeful that they are true to their word and deal Walker for assets toward a rebuild. What would you put his value at from a trade perspective? My expectation is that the Flyers will be asking for a 1st.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
The emergence of Harley kind of puts all need for acquisitions on the backburner. They obviously could use another D, but it’s not like a desperate need anymore. In other words Tanev fits the bill, but Nill will gladly abstain if it looks like an overpay. He never really goes above market value and has little reason to this year with what’s there already.

The PP is average to strong, and I think trends up with Miro back. The PK is borderline elite. They have the best forward unit 1-12 in the league (or one of them) and you’re obviously not going to make a move in net. With that, I think the main goal is to get Hakanpaa as the 7th D or move him for an improvement to the top four. I like the idea of Ferraro or Savard, but don’t know if they’re good enough to pony up what it would take. I just don’t think moving another first is really needed here.

I agree with alot of what you said. Also perhaps some of Dallas goals against woes improve quickly with improved Oettinger play.

Having said that, simply looking at their goals against number the last 10 games and season overall, to me reads still a need, if the goal is the Cup (which it is).

14th in GAA needs to improve. Dallas has scored their way to alot of wins lately. Can't rely on that approach in playoffs.

In my view adding a top 4 Defesneman also helps Oettinger.

Could be the move that wins them a cup.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They need to add another top 4 D
I'm sure the Flyers could help with that. Mobile guy like Sean Walker or a big moose like Ristolainen? Also, need any forwards? Laughton is almost made to be a Star...

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Thanks for your reply, John. The front office has explicitly stated that they remain committed to a rebuild, with the anticipated news about Carter Hart further complicating -- I hate to use understatement for such a terrible situation -- the Flyers' continued surprisingly high level of play. I am hopeful that they are true to their word and deal Walker for assets toward a rebuild. What would you put his value at from a trade perspective? My expectation is that the Flyers will be asking for a 1st.
Earlier in the season I was spitballing trading Lundkvist+2nd+3rd for Walker with 1mil retention. Since then Lundkvist has picked up his play again tho.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I'm sure the Flyers could help with that. Mobile guy like Sean Walker or a big moose like Ristolainen? Also, need any forwards? Laughton is almost made to be a Star...

We have an embarrassment of riches at forward. But we’ve discussed taking Konecny off your hands for awhile :popcorn:

Reactions: Johno

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
We have an embarrassment of riches at forward. But we’ve discussed taking Konecny off your hands for awhile :popcorn:
No doubt. ;)

I think they are looking at keeping him long term, made him captain recently...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad