Speculation: Dallas Stars - unsung deadline buyer?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Right side but not super picky - Lundkvist probably would get healthy scratched but in an ideal world Suter comes out. Would never happen though

Nils hasn’t been great? I thought it was a decent pick up when it happened.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
They're a top contender, but there aren't a lot of key parts that they truly need to add (top centers, top-six scoring, No. 1 D, top goalie, etc). They have those things covered. It's such a balanced team. They have those key players you need for a Cup run.

So they're buyers, but likely in the market for depth where there are deals to be had, I think. I think they're looking at top-four defensemen, possibly someone better described as a top-two D, and likely some forward depth.

Maybe Tanev & Mantha, or something along those lines. A quality D and a cheap depth scorer.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nils hasn’t been great? I thought it was a decent pick up when it happened.

He's been fine and is getting better, but DeBoer isn't a huge fan. Either way, they need someone different. Essentially need someone to take on Suter's role who isn't a black hole offensively/puck-moving wise

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's been fine and is getting better, but DeBoer isn't a huge fan. Either way, they need someone different. Essentially need someone to take on Suter's role who isn't a black hole offensively/puck-moving wise
And Sutter’s on the left side? Maybe you guys will get in on the Chychrun sweepstakes. Heck maybe even Nils is a piece that goes the other way cause Sens have a need on the Right side.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Factoring they are tight against thr Cap and Jim Nill would be extremely unlikely to give up Borque or Stankovan. I think it slightly dilutes their ability to buy a premium player but could still be in market for a 2nd pair D man.

Tanev seems a perfect fit as he's a Right side D, good defensively, lowish cap hit and someone that could pair with Heiskanen to get Heiskanen back to his favoured left side (although it currently looks like Dallas wants to see they could have with Harley-Heiskanen as they have lit up the last 2 games as a pair)

Whatever the list of available D men is this year. Think Dallas target one of them.
Tanev be expensive a lot of teams want him.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Eagerly anticipating Jim Nill putting on his apron ahead of March 8th.

The Dallas Stars are quietly having another strong season, but with a supporting cast spanning multiple generations, this might be Joe Pavelski's last season of 1st-liner effectiveness (though, one should take care with such predictions).

Is Dallas going to be a big buyer at the deadline? Jim Nill had a relatively quiet summer outside of the shrewd Duchene acquisition, which has buoyed their strong forward group against any age-related regression.

They have some compelling minors prospects in Stankoven and Bourque, and their 1st-rounder is available in the next few drafts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Stars push for it; looking at the competion in the west, I don't think anyone would be blown away if they heard the current Stars roster defeated Vancouver, Edmonton, Vegas, or Colorado in a 7-game season, so putting the team into a slightly better position to run the gauntlet might be the optimal course for this season.

That is, so long as they can make the money work.

The Stars don't have anyone on LTIR right now, and they might not have a lot of wiggle room at the deadline - the team will likely be targeting veteran depth players on darling contracts, or with retention such that the player's contract value close to the league minimum.
Habs fan here…. Curious, any desire for monahan? If so, what value?

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
Miro isn’t moving off RD. Just dont have the depth, and the LD depth of Harley / Lindell / Suter is pretty decent. The Suter hate by the fanbase is crazy; he starts on nearly every team in the league (all? Giving myself an out on a team or two with crazy D depth)

Nill won’t give up the top 2 F prospects in Stankoven and Bourque and will do his best to not give up Bischel

Any interest in Savard?

That’s my pick for what will happen. For a pick and a small cap dump, he’ll replace Hakanpaa on the 2nd pair (and next yr - Hakanpaa is a UFA). Then Hakanpaa and Lundkvist will duke it out for the final RD spot for this playoff.

I would love Larsson so I’ll be rooting for Seattle to be far enough out of the playoffs to sell, but that definitely costs at least Bischel (if he’s even made available)

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Caps have crowded D on the right side now with Carlson, TvR, Jensen, Bear.

Jensen or TVR could be had, both right shots

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
That’s because it’s Dallas, Texas and they don’t have a massive, or loud, fanbase. Most hockey people on here obviously know they are the 2nd favourite (or 1st) with Colorado for the Cup this year.
Even on tv dallas building is one of the tops for atmosphere imo especially playoffs
Hanifin or maybe Tanev make sense, no?
Dallas has been my pick to nab tanev since the fall - he would fit in a lot of ways

David savard would work as well. A harley savard pairing looks good

Reactions: LT

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bc they’re not that good

Damn your standards are high if being tied for 4th in the league in points while also having one of the deepest forward groups in the NHL isn't good. All this while their Goalies have been well below average. If Oettinger can get going again, I have a hard time finding many better teams

They need 1 more top 4 D and they're set

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Damn your standards are high if being tied for 4th in the league in points while also having one of the deepest forward groups in the NHL isn't good. All this while their Goalies have been well below average. If Oettinger can get going again, I have a hard time finding many better teams

I think he was talking about the Rangers.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I argued with my own board on this the other day. The idea is the regular season means absolutely nothing, and any team at the top of the league isn't actually that good until they win a few rounds in the playoffs.

Or something like that.

Needless to say I disagree.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I've always thought they would be a prime candidate for Guentzel but I'm not sure 1LW is their primary need.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I've always thought they would be a prime candidate for Guentzel but I'm not sure 1LW is their primary need.

Yeh because Marchment made a big step this season and having a big impact it probably takes away the need.

Marchment on track for 30 goals and plays the forechecking forward role well, using his size and hitting well.

Left wing depth of Jason Robertson, Marchment and Benn is strong. Even if the strength of the team is through the middle (Hintz, Duchene, Johnston), they are fine at wing.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I think they should swoop in and grab Tanev. Shore up that top 4 and they are *very* legit cup contenders. Maybe Parayko if the cap can work out.

I was looking at their stats the other day and it's insane how much offensive depth and firepower they have.

Hintz: 22 goals
Pavelski: 19 goals
Robertston: 17 goals
Seguin: 17 goals
Duchene: 17 goals
Marchment: 16 goals
Johnston : 14 goals

That's an insane amount of guys you can hope step up and score each game and that's not even counting Jamie Benn who could have a big second half after a pretty pedestrian first half in the goal scoring department.

Stars are legit and it's a huge miss by Nill if he doesn't add a top 4 at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad