Dallas Stars type game

• Thread starter Bi Coastal Bawse*
  • Start date

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Have seen a few people mention that this years team would benefit from a Dallas Stars type game.

Don't know if games like this exist in the NHL these days or if there are any teams the Bruins could do this with. Maybe after today the Capitals, always the Habs or even the Sabres.

Anyone else think a game like one of these would be good to bring together all the new elements of this new team? May not have guys like Horton, Ference, Lucic, Campbell and Thornton anymore but the team still has a few tough guys.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
What you are saying is simply allow your team complete freedom to score as many goals as possible and neglect playing that thing called defense? No thanks, I much prefer watching a team succeed based on talent and smarts at both ends of the rink.

My guess is you won't see that Dallas team from last year...It was a freebee year.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
There is no doubt that game against the stars brought the team together. This is a very different team though, I think they need to lose a couple games 6-0 in a row in order to get the message through to the coaching staff that there is more to offense than the cycle.

That being said, I think the fans need to see a game like that again.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
What you are saying is simply allow your team complete freedom to score as many goals as possible and neglect playing that thing called defense? No thanks, I much prefer watching a team succeed based on talent and smarts at both ends of the rink.

My guess is you won't see that Dallas team from last year...It was a freebee year.

I think you sort of missed what the OP is saying.

He's not calling for the B's to emulate the Stars current playstyle. He's referencing the fight laden game against the stars in '08.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Ference could do no wrong w/me after that game. Between that and the MTL finger he might go down as the greatest third pairing defenseman in Bruins history :laugh:

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Watching this again is depressing.

The main reason we won't have one of these types of games anytime soon, is because we no longer have those kind of players. In fact, I'd say we are more like Dallas now. I love what Rinaldo has been bringing, but nowadays, it would be the Bruins in the Dallas role, and another team in the Boston one.

We don't have Hnidys, Stewarts, Thorntons, Lucics, Ferences, etc, etc... We have Rinaldos, Marchands, and Erikssons.

Sigh.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

The main reason we won't have one of these types of games anytime soon, is because we no longer have those kind of players. In fact, I'd say we are more like Dallas now. I love what Rinaldo has been bringing, but nowadays, it would be the Bruins in the Dallas role, and another team in the Boston one.

We don't have Hnidys, Stewarts, Thorntons, Lucics, Ferences, etc, etc... We have Rinaldos, Marchands, and Erikssons.

Sigh.
Naw- those games just don't happen all that often.

I like this team as toughness/character go and they really aren't all that different IMO.
Hnidy - miller
Stuart- mcquaid
Thornton- Randell
Lucic- rinaldo
Ference- Krug

Last edited:

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast

Sigh.

Marchand played in 2011, which is the second video. You have no idea.

Rinaldo and Marchand probably would do something like this for the good of the team. Loui probably would not.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Those games are a thing of the past. These days, refs would start tossing guys immediately.

I forgot how many great character guys were on those teams. Hnidy, Ference, Chara, Thornton, Soupy, Savvy. Incredible. That Bruins team played with a chip on their shoulder like they had something to prove every night. They had a certain attitude about them. I believe this year's team isn't there yet.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Those games are a thing of the past. These days, refs would start tossing guys immediately.

I forgot how many great character guys were on those teams. Hnidy, Ference, Chara, Thornton, Soupy, Savvy. Incredible. That Bruins team played with a chip on their shoulder like they had something to prove every night. They had a certain attitude about them. I believe this year's team isn't there yet.

Crazy to think how different the game is now. I mean this wasn't THAT long ago. That Vancouver game from Jan. 2012 was the beginning of the end. Refs were ridiculous.

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
I still have hope that they can bring this back. Their passive, Detroit-lite temperament from last season was depressing.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Have seen a few people mention that this years team would benefit from a Dallas Stars type game.

Don't know if games like this exist in the NHL these days or if there are any teams the Bruins could do this with. Maybe after today the Capitals, always the Habs or even the Sabres.

Anyone else think a game like one of these would be good to bring se together all the new elements of this new team? May not have guys like Horton, Ference, Lucic, Campbell and Thornton anymore but the team still has a few tough guys.

Unless of course they get their arse's kicked instead.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

guessing your misinterpreting the OP`s thread here

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Artie's point about the spontaneity of that Dallas game needs to be underscored; you can't manufacture those results and that type of unity.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Artie's point about the spontaneity of that Dallas game needs to be underscored; you can't manufacture those results and that type of unity.

There are are some opportunities every year for these games . Tampa and Washington last year I clearly remember runs taken and if you are a tight and all for one team you will take advantage of the moment .

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
There are are some opportunities every year for these games . Tampa and Washington last year I clearly remember runs taken and if you are a tight and all for one team you will take advantage of the moment .

I agree with that; but it is more a moment of spontaneous protection/defense than gameplan. I dunno, Lou, I agree they are needed, they can bring a team together but more up to the players to make that call.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It was funny to see Savvy stick up for a young Looch.

Also Jack's call of the game was a riot. I was at that game and was wondering what Jack was saying. It was a fun game to watch twice.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I agree with that; but it is more a moment of spontaneous protection/defense than gameplan. I dunno, Lou, I agree they are needed, they can bring a team together but more up to the players to make that call.

I agree 100%. I think though if you are all for one that happens with a shorter fuse. Also matters what kind of players you have . It will be more spontaneously the closer they are .

BigBadBruins63*

I think the pieces are potentially there for a game like this happening. You need the right situation, but boy would it be fun to see. Need more games like this in the NHL, not less.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Last time I think of any teams doing this are

Flames vs. Canucks
Senators vs. Canadiens

but those were brawls and not a bunch of brawls/fights all over the game

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
What happened in that game was spontaneous. Such a happening (remember that term?) just can't be recreated.

I don't think it's about recreating those specific games so much as it's about recreating that camaraderie.

I want to root for a team that sticks up for each other as much as that team did.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I don't think it's about recreating those specific games so much as it's about recreating that camaraderie.

I want to root for a team that sticks up for each other as much as that team did.

Of course. If the camaraderie is there, such things happen organically. If the conditions are there as well. Opponent ("Brave Steve" played a key role), timing, who's on the ice, all can be factors for a "perfect storm" sort of reaction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad