Dallas Stars: Gaglardi's Stalking Horse Bid: $265 MM for Stars, AAC (50%)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Excellent. I sure hope you Texans dont mind a foreign owner... of course, anyone from outside the Great Republic of Texas is a foreigner, be it California or Czechoslovakia. Thousands of Psychologists with swimming pools in their backyards dotting the suburbs of Dallas for anyone who might have a problem with it. Just hop over the fence.

Your welcome. :)

vofty

Mar 2, 2008
TX
Excellent. I sure hope you Texans dont mind a foreign owner... of course, anyone from outside the Great Republic of Texas is a foreigner, be it California or Czechoslovakia. Thousands of Psychologists with swimming pools in their backyards dotting the suburbs of Dallas for anyone who might have a problem with it. Just hop over the fence.

Your welcome. :)

Considering how the last Texan fared as owner anyone who is willing to be devoted to this team as an owner, whether Texan or Tahitian will be welcomed with open arms!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Amen Rev'nd. And you might wanna try & be a little more forceful in dispelling the rumors circulating amongst the Congregation that the Dallas Stars will soon become the Surrey Stars, Tom returning to destroy his arch enemies, the Aquilini's... its just not true.

Or is it?.

Not a hope brother Killion......He will passionately wave the Texas flag while his room mate Mark boosts him up on his shoulders and he can safely launch an attack far enough away from the maddening crowd.......the team isn't going to budge!!

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
He's half Texan already, and you don't have to born in Texas to be a Texan, we have a long proud history of accepting newcomers. It's just a matter of loving the place once you get here. Besides Jerry is from Arkansas and Cuban from Pennsylvania.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He's half Texan already, and you don't have to born in Texas to be a Texan, we have a long proud history of accepting newcomers. It's just a matter of loving the place once you get here. Besides Jerry is from Arkansas and Cuban from Pennsylvania.

He will be every bit as passionate about Hockey in Dallas as Jerry and Mark are about their sports... he will just be slightly less visible

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not a hope brother Killion......He will passionately wave the Texas flag while his room mate Mark boosts him up on his shoulders and he can safely launch an attack far enough away from the maddening crowd.......

K.Ok.Okay.Kay... just pass this on to Tom & Mark otherwise I might have to send Joe Pesci down from Jersey;

*Its illegal in Texas to shoot a Buffalo from the 2nd story of a hotel.
*Its illegal to take more than 3 sips from a beer while standing up.
*Its illegal to drive a car without windshield wipers even if theres no glass.

...oh, and forgetabout cabbing it, harder to find a Checkers or Yellow in Dallas than a Rabbi in Iraq.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Per Defending Big D.com

The is no relocation looming around the corner.

This is perhaps the biggest point I want to make and something we've had to reiterate several times over the past year. Yes, Tom Gaglardi is a Canadian businessman from the Vancouver area. Yes, there has been a push in recent years to move struggling franchises back to Canada. The Dallas Stars, however, are not under any such threat.

For one, the NHL must approve of any move. The Dallas Stars, prior to the financial collapse of Tom Hicks' empire, were one of the best teams in the NHL in generating revenue. The sale of the franchise includes ownership of half of the American Airlines Center, one of the most potentially profitable arenas in the NHL. The Stars are a shining example of how hockey can work in non-traditional markets -- and let's not forget that the Dallas-Fort Worth market is one of the largest in North America.

The Stars have been money making machines in Dallas before and they can be again. Unfortunately, the collapse of the financial backing for the Stars coincided with the struggles on the ice; players getting older, failed systems and coaching changes. Not making the postseasn has hurt the fanbase at a time when money available for marketing, public relations and the ability to add quality free agents was just not available. It's been the perfect storm for the Dallas Stars the past three years and it all adds up to what looks like a horrible situation.

The fact remains the team is not heading to bankruptcy because of a lack of support in the area; this is about how the former owner failed to meet his financial obligations while overextending his wallet. The NHL is not going to allow the Stars to move from Dallas, that is a fact.

Plus the Stars have a lease with the AAC through the 2030's.

Yup. The issues with the Stars go back to Tom Hick's other business ventures failing with a crashed economy, not anything inherent to the team. IIRC, there was some creative accounting in there too to let Hicks reshuffle some of his financial losses and divest himself of them. Kinda like what Moyes did, except, unlike Moyes, what Hicks did wasn't literally criminal.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yup. The issues with the Stars go back to Tom Hick's other business ventures failing with a crashed economy, not anything inherent to the team. IIRC, there was some creative accounting in there too to let Hicks reshuffle some of his financial losses and divest himself of them. Kinda like what Moyes did, except, unlike Moyes, what Hicks did wasn't literally criminal.

What did Moyes do that was criminal, literally? If that were true, wouldn't he be facing criminal charges?

MetalGodAOD*

scaled.php

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Obligatory "Bettman is teeny" comment. Because heh.

The extended interview is fairly fun to listen to. Also shoots down the idiotic idea of possible relocation.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
...the idiotic idea of possible relocation.

I believe its now Illegal to do so Kritter.... like selling Limburger Cheese on Sundays in Houston?. Illegal. Like children having unusual haircuts in Mesquite? Illegal. Like riding your horse after sunset in Texarkana without a tail light? Illegal. Like...

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
Stars Attendance vs Points since moving to Dallas in 1993:

456339596.jpg

Via Twitter:
mirtle James Mirtle
Building pretty well full here tonight in Dallas. Night and day from Wednesday's game against the Kings.

Perhaps it's the new ownership, or perhaps it's the Leafs. Only time will tell.

Average number of fans per game for the Dallas Stars this season, second last in the NHL and ahead of only the Phoenix Coyotes. Dallas had announced crowds of 17,215 fans a game as recently as two years ago.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
He also dropped almost $200 million 2 mths ago in the biggest hotel deal in Canada since 2007.

Oh ya, Dallas got themselves one Hell of a great owner, a very astute businessman, hockey guy, expert in hospitality etc. The Sutton Place here in Vancouver is quite possibly the nicest hotel in the city, a notch above 5Star. Houses' one of my favorite bars.

Kinda surprised they still serve me... :naughty:

Last edited:

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Oh ya, Dallas got themselves one Hell of a great owner, a very astute businessman, hockey guy, expert in hospitality etc. The Sutton Place here in Vancouver is quite possibly the nicest hotel in the city, certainly one of the nicest & houses' one my favorite bars (based on years of experience :naughty:)....

I live in EDM....but have never been in the Sutton EDM.

I am in Vancouver several times a month and often stay at the Sutton.
It is a 10 out of 10.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I am in Vancouver several times a month and often stay at the Sutton. It is a 10 out of 10.

12/10. Michelin & others give it "Platinum" ratings & have for years. I would assume the same thing applies/exists in Edmonton. High-end "boutique" style hotels Worldwide. Gaglardi is also heavily involved in commercial food servicing and as the master franchisee' to a number of restaurant chains, including Moxys'. Big time battle with the Aquilinis' here in Vancouver a few years ago over the sale of the Canucks from Orca Bay as your no doubt aware.

MetalGodAOD*

Hi dronald,

I am disappoined with the Chart. Where is the attached PowerPoint presentation? ;)

Was a sellout tonight. Leafs fans definitely had some of to do with that, but I think a weekend holiday game had more. Dallas attendance generally ramps up as it gets colder and sports fans start thinking about hockey again.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Via Twitter:
mirtle James Mirtle
Building pretty well full here tonight in Dallas. Night and day from Wednesday's game against the Kings.

Perhaps it's the new ownership, or perhaps it's the Leafs. Only time will tell.

Probably a combination of both.

No other professional sports league had any games last night, a lot of Americans took the day off (Friday after a holiday on Thursday), the opponent was a marquee team, and of course, there were a good chunk of Leafs fans in attendance. It was no Buffalo or Ottawa, but they certainly made sure they were heard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad