Speculation: Dallas Stars Fire sale at the draft

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I'm down. Fire everyone and rebuild.

Seguin - Top 10 pick/equivalent prospect, 2019 1st, a good young roster player, and a good prospect.

Benn - Top 10 pick/equivalent prospect, a good young roster player, and a good prospect.

Bishop - 1st rounder and cap dump.

Trade Hanzal, Methot, and Spezza at their trade deadlines.

Seguin is an UFA after next year. You won't get that return for him - plus the playoff failures
Benn makes 9.5M - his return also limited.
I think you're better off keeping these 2

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
They should do what Sakic did with the Avs. Keep the core (maybe subtract one that isn't fitting right, like Spezza) but take a blowtorch to all the surrounding trash and replace that with better young players. I have no idea what they have in their system but it has to be better than what they're icing now, right? Someone like Honka should not be getting regularly benched, and if the coach won't cooperate with a youth movement, he needs to go.

If that fails, and it might if their drafting hasn't gone well, then it's time to blow it up to get those high end pieces to build a new core.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Seguin is an UFA after next year. You won't get that return for him - plus the playoff failures
Benn makes 9.5M - his return also limited.
I think you're better off keeping these 2

Any team trading for Seguin would do so with full intention of locking him up so yeah he would net a return like that. Also if for some reason a team just wants him as a rental the price would still be stupidly high. Look at what Nash got then consider that Seguin is younger, cheaper and a lot better.

Dallas would be dumb to not try an lock him up but if we decided to burn it down he will bring back a shit ton. I agree on Benn that for the return to be solid we would have to retain a chunk simply because moving 9.5 is hard to do

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
seguins entering his ufa season... the talk always boils down to, do these type of players think their team is doing enough to win? would it be fun getting stuck in this type of team for the next 7-8 years if theres no clear cut plan to be competitive?

dallas needs to figure out what they are doing with seguin before they can figure out what they are doing with the rest of the team. theres too much talent to bottom feed and collect high draft picks... but not enough talent to be a true contender.

getting stuck in the middle is the wrong place to be.

I wouldn't blow it up... get seguin signed and try to improve depth

Reactions: Ori and iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
seguins entering his ufa season... the talk always boils down to, do these type of players think their team is doing enough to win? would it be fun getting stuck in this type of team for the next 7-8 years if theres no clear cut plan to be competitive?

dallas needs to figure out what they are doing with seguin before they can figure out what they are doing with the rest of the team. theres too much talent to bottom feed and collect high draft picks... but not enough talent to be a true contender.

I agree.

Aside from this thread, is there any sense that the management might actually blow it up? I really don't think that team is that far from being a winner, especially with Bishop (injuries aside).

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Extend Seguin and still have lots of cap room to address other issues.

Lehtonen is off the books this off-season. After next season Methot (4.9), Speeza (7.5), Niemi (1.5). That's a lot of cap space to add quality depth.

Then add in a few prospects turning out (specifically Heiskanen) and the Stars could be really good after next season.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
give the stars another year or two, benn will be 29 next year and seguin will be 26 and klingberg 26 they're still in there prime and can compete and be built around them.
This is what Ive been hearing for Dallas for some years now since they got Seguin
Eventually that ‘year or two’ has to be now

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
This is what Ive been hearing for Dallas for some years now since they got Seguin
Eventually that ‘year or two’ has to be now
but they're still young and in prime shape, in a few years some players will be falling out of it, hence why they still have a bit more time.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I am so fed up with Danyeko’s ‘OHH’ on every single play.

He needs to go. Its not even funny at this point.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
In the spirit of the asking price for Seguin, I'll take a stab at it.

Carolina Trades

Noah Hanifin
2018 1st
Janne Kuokkanen

Dallas Trades

Tyler Seguin

Dallas gets a cost-controlled, potential top line D-man to pair with Klingberg. Also gets a lottery pick in this year's deep draft. I put Janne Kuokkanen down because he's a solid B level prospect, but in actuality, I'd be willing to give up any Carolina prospect that's not Martin Necas. I don't know what Dallas' needs are, but there's also Jake Bean, Haydn Fleury, Julien Gauthier, etc.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
In the spirit of the asking price for Seguin, I'll take a stab at it.

Carolina Trades

Noah Hanifin
2018 1st
Janne Kuokkanen

Dallas Trades

Tyler Seguin

Dallas gets a cost-controlled, potential top line D-man to pair with Klingberg. Also gets a lottery pick in this year's deep draft. I put Janne Kuokkanen down because he's a solid B level prospect, but in actuality, I'd be willing to give up any Carolina prospect that's not Martin Necas. I don't know what Dallas' needs are, but there's also Jake Bean, Haydn Fleury, Julien Gauthier, etc.

Unfortunately, Stars seem past the need for more D, after trading Seguin, would be more in need of a top scorer at the moment. But, probably a good offer value wise from Stars standpoint.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Unfortunately, Stars seem past the need for more D, after trading Seguin, would be more in need of a top scorer at the moment. But, probably a good offer value wise from Stars standpoint.

Fair enough. Unfortunately as well, Carolina has the same needs. Only forwards I'd be willing to part with in a Seguin deal is Elias Lindholm or Victor Rask. Rask has shown the ability to be a solid 3C or low-end 2C, but had an off year, possibly due to lingering injury. Lindholm is a solid top 6 forward, consistent 40pt player. Hasn't quite lived up to expectations, but most Canes fans believe he's still capable of more.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Capitals currently with both Holtby and Grubauer along with Samsonov expected to come over this summer, they'll need to shed a goalie. Bishop seems fragile, so Caps offer Holtby (Lehtonen will be a UFA) to the Stars with the caveat that they would also have to take Brooks Orpik who'll be in the last year of his contract (Hamhuis will be a UFA). The benefit for the Capitals will be that they'll be shedding salary (Holtby 6.1/Orpik 5+). Holtby's salary is about 200k more than Lehtonens while Hamhuis and Roussel's departures will make Orpik's salary a wash. Since the Caps require Orpik to be part of the deal, the Caps asking price will be less for the whole package, two second rounders ('18 and '19) from Dallas.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Hitch has done such a fantastic job defensively I am not sure they can be that much better next season.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Capitals currently with both Holtby and Grubauer along with Samsonov expected to come over this summer, they'll need to shed a goalie. Bishop seems fragile, so Caps offer Holtby (Lehtonen will be a UFA) to the Stars with the caveat that they would also have to take Brooks Orpik who'll be in the last year of his contract (Hamhuis will be a UFA). The benefit for the Capitals will be that they'll be shedding salary (Holtby 6.1/Orpik 5+). Holtby's salary is about 200k more than Lehtonens while Hamhuis and Roussel's departures will make Orpik's salary a wash. Since the Caps require Orpik to be part of the deal, the Caps asking price will be less for the whole package, two second rounders ('18 and '19) from Dallas.

While I would love to add Holtby to the Stars', I really don't want to be spending $10mil on two goalies again. If we could magically move Bishop somewhere after this, I would definitely do it.

quacktastic93

Dec 9, 2017
I'll tell you what needs to go: Free agency will help quite a bit.

Ritchie (6th rounder maybe) Shore (3rd rounder) Elie (meh, throw in piece in a bigger deal), Roussel (UFA), Spezza (meh he could stay probably). Hamhuis will be gone.

That's it. Now fill the empty spots with new and improved kids from our own system and maybe throw in a top 6 winger or 2 acquired through trade or free agency.

Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Dickinson-Spezza/Hanzal-X
Janmark-Faksa-Pitlick
Gurianov-Hanzal/Spezza-X

Time for Nill to stop teasing these kids and keeping them in the AHL for years upon years. Give them a shot, and if they fail to succeed move them on and move more in.
That third line looks dirty!

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
A lot of people liked the Stars roster in the preseason. What happened?

Spezza declined, Hanzal was/is injured, some young guys who needed to chip in more goals like last year (Ritchie, Shore) didn't. That's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad