Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2022 Draft Pick Scouting Reports

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I get that. This isn't a but in the traditional sense ... am I remembering it correctly didn't Heiskanen miss training camp at 18 in Dallas because of a concussion? I think the plan was for him to come to camp and go back to Europe, but he got a concussion in pre-season over in Europe.

Reactions: Kcb12345

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I get it, and I was happy to hear that we would've pulled the trigger on Kemell (I actually hate Nashville now, 2nd high end finnish forward prospect we have to watch them butcher the development of). It's that we drafted a big physical d-man who just had a f***ing concussion. That's pretty risky and stupid given what we just experienced with Stephen Johns. Having 1 makes you prone to more and that likelihood increases ten-fold playing in the NHL.

He wasn't BPA by any means so we drafted for need and an unnecessarily risky one at that
you can't convince me that the majority of nhl players haven't had at least one concussion at a high level in their lives. one isn't the issue, it's a question of whether he's had multiple, and get's them easily. i'd imagine/hope they did their research on that front.

Reactions: Kipper 17 and LT

LT

XXXX - XXX_ - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
you can't convince me that the majority of nhl players haven't had at least one concussion at a high level in their lives. one isn't the issue, it's a question of whether he's had multiple, and get's them easily. i'd imagine/hope they did their research on that front.

It’s also about the severity and if there are any PCS symptoms.

Almost everyone playing contact sports is going to have one at some point. I never played above a Texas high school hockey level, but almost everyone I knew had had at least one minor concussion (a couple days of headaches after a big hit, usually) by the time they were 18.

Reactions: eartotheground

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas

Almost everyone playing contact sports is going to have one at some point. I never played above a Texas high school hockey level, but almost everyone I knew had had at least one minor concussion (a couple days of headaches after a big hit, usually) by the time they were 18.
Can vouch, had a few. Never enough to keep me out of games or anything but you have to be f***ed up to get held out, at least when I was playing. Dunno how that’s changed with spotters and everything

Reactions: LT

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Can vouch, had a few. Never enough to keep me out of games or anything but you have to be f***ed up to get held out, at least when I was playing. Dunno how that’s changed with spotters and everything

At most youth levels, it hasn’t changed a bit yet.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Bichsel was non-committal about where he was playing saying he wanted to talk with Dallas, but Nill basically confirms the plan is for him to return to Sweden (which seems like the best decision honestly).

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

Bichsel was out for awhile due to that concussion. Not going to get a ton of medical info out of that situation but it is what it is.

I get that. This isn't a but in the traditional sense ... am I remembering it correctly didn't Heiskanen miss training camp at 18 in Dallas because of a concussion? I think the plan was for him to come to camp and go back to Europe, but he got a concussion in pre-season over in Europe.

Miro isn't a physical d-man and certainly wasn't when he played for HIFK. The point I was trying to make was that his NHL potential is predicated on a style that increases his likelihood for another concussion.

Not going to try and make this into a medical discussion that's outside the realm of our expertise, but I think it's a legitimate concern. Bischel clearly has a valuable toolbox, there's no question. His D+1 will answer plenty of questions/concerns so I suppose we'll wait and see.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I get the jokes about McDonnell always saying a guy was taken higher on their list than others. As I've mentioned before, he's seemed to learn from those past mistakes, and it's been a few years since he's done that. He resisted the urge again with Bichsel. In fact, he like Nill admitted they had 2 forwards rated higher that went off the board just before they picked.

I completely understand that some people don't believe Bichsel was the BPA, and I'd even probably be in that group a bit if I was forced to make a decision, but I don't think the difference between him and the forwards is significant really at all.

Sort of funny probably unintentional shade was thrown at Lane Hutson. McDonnell said I'd rather a defenseman be 6'5" than 5'8".

He did mention that they have several guys with 1st round grades still available at the top of the 2nd round.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Don't know if there's any sort of study on this, but I feel like there's zero correlation between combine performance and prospect success in the NHL. No one seems to use combine results in their analysis, it's virtually never referenced anywhere ever.

Edit: Dammit, sad that Gleb is gone. I didn't think he'd make it to the Stars 3rd anyway, but you can always dream.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
The name of the game is manipulation with Kyrou. He'll bait defenders one way and then slide right past them in the opposite direction untouched, leaving them behind the play and hopeless to recover. All the usual suspects are there -- side steps, look-offs, shoulder feints, etc. -- and the Otters defender has mastered them in the pursuit of clean zone exits and better looks in the offensive zone.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
"Christian Kyrou is a very skilled defenseman with a good point shot. He can make plays through opponents routinely and shows great creativity as a handler and passer. He is overall a threat on the man advantage. He projects to provide offense as a pro, but whether he can provide all-around value is the question. Unlike his brother Jordan, who is an explosive skater, Christian's skating is just fine, but for a 5-foot-10 defenseman it's not the kind of mobility you'd like for the NHL."

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Heavy on the RHD, eh

Hard for anyone to argue these are all BPA picks at this point

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I watched Gavin White a ton this year. Loved him in the regular season ... wanted Dallas to take him later in the draft, but he crumbled in the playoffs with injuries to Kamerrer and Staios. When asked to play a bigger role, he just couldn't handle it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad