Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2022 Draft Pick Scouting Reports

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
It's not the flashy pick, but I'm optimistic. He's pretty young in the draft and played 29 games in the SHL.

Heck for u18 players in the SHL it's not like players put up huge point totals
Kasper 46gp 11pts
Lekkerimaki 26gp 9pts
Lichsel 29gp 3pts
Bystedt 15gp 2pts
Ohgren 25gp 2pts
Ostlund 11gp 0pts

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It seems like a lot of scouts/services think he has 0 offensive ability, while other scouts/services are kinda blowing it up too much. I think he is somewhere in the middle.

I don't think he'll ever be elite at running an NHL powerplay just because I don't think he'll be dynamic enough and have a good enough shot to do so but those saying he has zero offense in his game haven't really watched him. If he can stay healthy, he'll be very efficient 5vs5 and a decent top4 defenseman in the NHL at the very least and he'll put up points and contribute offensively. Personally, I think he has top pairing upside.

Again, his lack of offensive output in the SHL last season is explainable due to his usage and the concussion he suffered.

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
The exciting thing about the pick is if he pans out he’ll be super fun to watch him out on the ice. Top 4 dman of a monster. Already built like a Mac truck too.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Hard to get excited or upset. Remember how everyone reacted to Johnston pick

I’m willing to take a chance on a similar Colton Parayko player

Reactions: Kipper 17

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm not sure if he has an out-clause, but Lian apparently said he might return to the SHL ... not he's coming back. He wants to talk to Dallas first. Nill is happy for guys to develop in Europe ... see Heiskanen in his D+1 year. I would be surprised if he made the jump immediately to the AHL. You never know though. I'd think another year in the SHL would be perfect for him.

Reactions: LT

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
I really hope that he will pan out. I always hope that the Swiss players are successful in the NHL.

I like his profile and think he will reach his potential. Furthermore what I read about him, he's a VERY likeable person.

I think and hope that you guys got a (very) good one!

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I hope he's got a whole lot of untapped offense. Risk with guys this big is very high (pun intended?), plus his season ended due to a concussion. I think if they're going to take on this much risk in a prospect that I would have been happier with just grabbing Miroschnishenko. Different risks, but seemingly much higher upside. Maybe they draft his polar opposite in Lane Hutson tomorrow. Now there are two guys who would look good on marketing materials together.

The irony of referencing the Lightning is that Hedman is just a pure skill guy who happens to be super tall, he's not mean or a defensive shutdown dman. Ryan McDonagh did that stuff and he's a very normal 6'1".

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I hope he's got a whole lot of untapped offense. Risk with guys this big is very high (pun intended?), plus his season ended due to a concussion. I think if they're going to take on this much risk in a prospect that I would have been happier with just grabbing Miroschnishenko. Different risks, but seemingly much higher upside. Maybe they draft his polar opposite in Lane Hutson tomorrow. Now there are two guys who would look good on marketing materials together.

The irony of referencing the Lightning is that Hedman is just a pure skill guy who happens to be super tall, he's not mean or a defensive shutdown dman. Ryan McDonagh did that stuff and he's a very normal 6'1".

No, he suffered the concussion mid season. He had to fight his way back with limited ice time and played some games with the under 20s but then finished the season on a high as an SHL regular with more ice time. The concussion was a setback that caused him to fall in the draft or at least prevented him from rising earlier but it didn't end his season.

Reactions: Captain Awesome

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
No, he suffered the concussion mid season. He had to fight his way back with limited ice time and played some games with the under 20s but then finished the season on a high as an SHL regular with more ice time. The concussion was a setback that caused him to fall in the draft or at least prevented him from rising earlier but it didn't end his season.
I hadn't really looked into him too much before the draft, but yeah he actually seems really good I'm excited for the pick

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Slept on the pick. Woke up disappointed.

Feel like I felt with Dellandrea, but that disappointment manifested immediately.
Ya I really wish we swung for the fences on Yurov or Miroshnichenko.

I kind of understand the logic behind the pick. D cupboards are bare and they picked a guy that is physically mature but also not raw in terms of his on ice development (the broadcast mentioned Jamie Oleksiak last night but he was a project from the time they took him). Seems like Bischel could be in the NHL in a couple years instead of a 3+ year project.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

I kind of understand the logic behind the pick. D cupboards are bare and they picked a guy that is physically mature but also not raw in terms of his on ice development (the broadcast mentioned Jamie Oleksiak last night but he was a project from the time they took him). Seems like Bischel could be in the NHL in a couple years instead of a 3+ year project.

The logic I don't understand is why they picked a defensemen who just had a concussion last year to replace a player who had their career de-railed by concussions. If he turns out to be Moritz Seider 2.0, great. If not, this was a goofy ass pick.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

It is a kinda a shame, cause imo there are still plenty of attractive defensive options in round 2 but the forwards really dwindle out. Kinda wonder if they go 2 dmen in the first 2 rounds now

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The logic I don't understand is why they picked a defensemen who just had a concussion last year to replace a player who had their career de-railed by concussions. If he turns out to be Moritz Seider 2.0, great. If not, this was a goofy ass pick.
Yeah we're definitely on the same page. I also think the Seider and Parayko upside projections are Looney Tunes

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Wasn’t happy with the pick initially because he is a big defenseman. After reading his thread on here and more scouting reports I’m happy with the pick.

As others have mentioned some scouts see untapped offensive potential, the Stars scouts must see that and I think their Euro scouts have earned our trust.

Reactions: Sports2

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
If he hits his full potential and becomes anything close to Seider, then watch out if he’s paired with Miro. Scary dangerous.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Guy isn’t my cup of tea but I’m willing to give Dallas the benefit of the doubt after the last couple years. #analysis

Reactions: txomisc

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Guy isn’t my cup of tea but I’m willing to give Dallas the benefit of the doubt after the last couple years. #analysis

im not

regression to the mean, man

its time for a few of our picks to bust

(this is sarcasm)

Reactions: Zrhutch

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I have no problem being disappointed with how the draft played out, but I don't agree with being upset about the decision. This isn't an excuse ... it's reality, Dallas would have taken Kemell or Lekkerimaki but they go just before Dallas. We're not sure if that includes Ostlund on their list, but the plan wasn't to take Bichsel. We know that because Nill also confirmed he tried moving back after the forwards go off the board. This is an underwhelming draft. The moment Kemell goes to Nashville, we all knew that most hope of trading back evaporated.

The chips didn't fall in Dallas' favor, while I definitely can understand preferring the Russians or Lambert, I don't agree that you can say it's a slam dunk easy decision. I actually prefer Bichsel to the Russians from a risk standpoint. I'd have been fine though with Lambert, Oslund, Kulich, or Howard honestly over Bichsel, but again ... only moderately. I don't think it's in the same league as had they passed on a Nazar, Lekkerimaki, or Kemell who just weren't there to take.

It feels like Dallas made a reasonably good decision based on what was available whereas other decisions would have also been fine or maybe slightly superior. They didn't do anything egregious.

I don't see the Dellandrea comparable though in terms of disappointment. For me, that would have been taking Nathan Gaucher. Decent, physical Top 4 defensemen aren't a dime a dozen like defensive forwards. Even though they both might be safer, lower ceiling picks, Bichsel at least offers a more unique package.

Last edited:

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Yeah we're definitely on the same page. I also think the Seider and Parayko upside projections are Looney Tunes

That's the pie in the sky, unlikely potential.

I think most people are being realistic understanding he's probably more a K'Andre Miller or Erik Cernak type.

If he's a long-term partner for Heiskanen, it's a fantastic pick. If he's a decent Top 4 option and PKer, it's a good pick. Neither one of those possibilities seems that hard to see happening, but I agree the idea that he's going to blossom into a legit top pair defender is probably delusional.

Reactions: Satan and LT

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I have no problem being disappointed with how the draft played out, but I don't agree with being upset about the decision. This isn't an excuse ... it's reality, Dallas would have taken Kemell or Lekkerimaki but they go just before Dallas. We're not sure if that includes Ostlund on their list, but the plan wasn't to take Bichsel. We know that because Nill also confirmed he tried moving back after the forwards go off the board. This is an underwhelming draft. The moment Kemell goes to Nashville, we all knew that most hope of trading back evaporated.

The chips didn't fall in Dallas' favor, while I definitely can understand preferring the Russians or Lambert, I don't agree that you can say it's a slam dunk easy decision. I actually prefer Bichsel to the Russians from a risk standpoint. I'd have been fine though with Lambert, Oslund, Kulich, or Howard honestly over Bichsel, but again ... only moderately. I don't think it's in the same league as had they passed on a Nazar, Lekkerimaki, or Kemell who just weren't there to take.

It feels like Dallas made a reasonably good decision based on what was available whereas other decisions would have also been fine or maybe slightly superior. They didn't do anything egregious.

I don't see the Dellandrea comparable though in terms of disappointment. For me, that would have been taking Nathan Gaucher. Decent, physical Top 4 defensemen aren't a dime a dozen like defensive forwards. Even though they both might be safer, higher ceiling picks, Bichsel at least offers a more unique package.

Very reminiscent to how we ended up with Harley IMO. Caufield, Krebs, and Newhook all went in the three picks before ours. Harley’s panned out pretty well, although I think he was probably a slightly better prospect than Bischel.

Reactions: Satan

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

I don't see the Dellandrea comparable though in terms of disappointment. For me, that would have been taking Nathan Gaucher. Decent, physical Top 4 defensemen aren't a dime a dozen like defensive forwards. Even though they both might be safer, higher ceiling picks, Bichsel at least offers a more unique package.

I get it, and I was happy to hear that we would've pulled the trigger on Kemell (I actually hate Nashville now, 2nd high end finnish forward prospect we have to watch them butcher the development of). It's that we drafted a big physical d-man who just had a f***ing concussion. That's pretty risky and stupid given what we just experienced with Stephen Johns. Having 1 makes you prone to more and that likelihood increases ten-fold playing in the NHL.

He wasn't BPA by any means so we drafted for need and an unnecessarily risky one at that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad