Mckenzie - Fiddler - Eaves
Sceviour - Moen

Nemeth - Klingberg
Goose - JJ
Oleksiak - Demers
Benn

Lehts
Niemi

I really hope to see the top six looking like this. Mostly to see Nuke with Spezza. I see those two getting a lot of points. If Hemsky can’t get it going with the top line I’d like to see him get shipped out. Ritchie or Eaves could fill in on the top line until Denis the Menace gets here next year.

If we could sign Franson for 5m or under I’d like to see him slot next to Goose and we can trade which ever of Oleksiak, JJ, or Nemeth perform worse in camp. I’m all for home grow talent, but I want to see success this year.

For call ups I see Faksa first for forwards and Johns/Lindell first for defence. Predicting 7th in the west!

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Thinking about it last night, I also thought that Hemsky on the top line - which is what Nill said he traded him for - would be the best fit. Speed and passing skill fit there. Sharp has that, too, but putting a sniper like Nuke on the second line with two pass first guys makes some sense to spread out the shooters a bit.

But, Hemsky did have some chemistry with Spezza and may stay there. Plus, Eaves didn't do badly on the top line, and if Nuke is slow coming around after a year off, I can see Ruff starting him down on the third line and making him work his way up.

Ritchie looked slow when on the Benn-Seguin line, so I doubt he is a fit there, but would also be the ideal addition to the third line, making three decent scoring lines and a top nine. Granted, the synergy with McKenzie was great, but not sure you keep them together just for that, even if you figure Fids can do what Horcoff did to make that line gel, which I think he could.

Edit - Just saw a bit where Ruff is suggesting Sharp on the top line, and Nuke-Spezza-Hemsky on the second. Looks like that is what he will try on first, probably with Roussel-Eakin-Eaves/Ritchie on the third, and Scevior/McKenzie-Fids-Eaves/Ritchie on the fourth.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Sharp - Spezza - Hemsky
Roussel - Eakin - Ritchie
Moen - Fiddler - Sceviour
Eaves, McKenzie

Nemeth - Klingberg
Oleksiak - Demers
Golikoski - Johns
Benn

Lehtonen
Niemi

The addition of Johns i think pushes Jokipakka back to the AHL (he is still waiver exempt i think) to play with fellow Finns Lindell and Honka. Johns is already better IMO. Expecting a somewhat breakout season by Oleksiak as well.

Unfortunate as a Finnish fan but i'll be pleasantly surprised if JJ manages to outplay few of these guys.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Eaves, McKenzie

There's no way Eaves and McKenzie are scratched in favor of Moen and Sceviour.

I like your call on Johns, though. Seems to me he could add some muscles to our blueline. Though he needs to have a very good camp..

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Sharp - Spezza - Hemsky
Eaves, McKenzie

Nemeth - Klingberg
Oleksiak - Demers
Golikoski - Johns
Benn

Lehtonen
Niemi

The addition of Johns i think pushes Jokipakka back to the AHL (he is still waiver exempt i think) to play with fellow Finns Lindell and Honka. Johns is already better IMO. Expecting a somewhat breakout season by Oleksiak as well.

Unfortunate as a Finnish fan but i'll be pleasantly surprised if JJ manages to outplay few of these guys.

Jokipakka's not waiver exempt any more. Even if Johns is better, having him in the AHL for some of the season means whoevers spot he takes has a chance to build trade value.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think you guys have had a terrific off-season so far, you addressed your needs very well, and you are one of the most interesting teams in the whole league next season. You are the team to watch in West next season. I'm just not too happy that you are in Central :D :S. Looking forward to our matches next season and I honestly think that you might take the Central next year. Maybe you go all the way.

-Preds fan

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Unfortunately, everyone said the same thing last year, too. Stars look good on paper, but they play on ice.

Good luck to Preds, too. They seem to depend a bit too heavily on Rinne to be good, but he usually comes through. Scouting report is opposite of Stars - a bit boring to watch, but use D and G to win a lot of games. Let's hope both teams blend their approach a bit more to the middle......

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
I think you guys have had a terrific off-season so far, you addressed your needs very well, and you are one of the most interesting teams in the whole league next season. You are the team to watch in West next season. I'm just not too happy that you are in Central :D :S. Looking forward to our matches next season and I honestly think that you might take the Central next year. Maybe you go all the way. ...
Agreed with all this. Please have mercy on my lowly Hawks. I already made a Stars timer on my VCR so I don't miss all your playoff games and can watch Sharp and Oduya.

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
Benn-Seguin-Sharp
Nuke-Spezza-Hemsky
Rous-Eakin-Ritchie
Moen-Fiddler-Eaves
McKenzie-Sceviour

Oduya-Kling
Goose-Demers
Nemeth-JJ
Oleksiak-Benn

My ideal for day 1.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You guys had an interesting off-season. I don't think your coach should give Sharp first line minutes as he has slowed down a bit the last couple years (still a good player though who can make your team deeper / better), but your forward corps has filled out nicely. If Nichushkin can have a healthy and productive year I think Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin is a no-brainer and in the running for best line in the NHL.

Your D is still a question but you've improved your goaltending situation at the same time so on balance the D is better IMO. Oduya is solid. If Sharp can keep up and you can improve the D a bit more at the deadline, Dallas can be a playoff team IMO. Anyone talking about cellars has their head up their ass.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
You guys had an interesting off-season. I don't think your coach should give Sharp first line minutes as he has slowed down a bit the last couple years (still a good player though who can make your team deeper / better), but your forward corps has filled out nicely. If Nichushkin can have a healthy and productive year I think Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin is a no-brainer and in the running for best line in the NHL.

Your D is still a question but you've improved your goaltending situation at the same time so on balance the D is better IMO. Oduya is solid. If Sharp can keep up and you can improve the D a bit more at the deadline, Dallas can be a playoff team IMO. Anyone talking about cellars has their head up their ass.

Slowed down over the last couple of year? He put up 34 goals and 78 points 2 years ago and this last year he scored 19 and 51 pro-rated. I would maybe be worried about his scoring if he wasn't getting chances. But he shot at a similar pace this year, he just was unlucky with a career low shooting%. Also playing with 2 lite forwards on the first line I'm sure his numbers won't look too bad

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
There's no issue at all with Sharp getting 1st line minutes. Not to start, anyways. The guy is proven, and as WhatWhat pointed out, just a season removed from a 34 goal - 78 point campaign.

Even if Sharp is a 25 goal - 55 point guy up there, combined with some good 2-way play, nothing wrong with that.

Should he fall flat on his face and completely hold things up for the big boys, then you do some shuffling.

Besides....

Sharp = Hull
Oduya = Zubov
Niemi = Belfour
Eaves = Keane
Spezza = Nieuwendyk

Anyone thinking differently can show themselves the door.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
There's no issue at all with Sharp getting 1st line minutes. Not to start, anyways. The guy is proven, and as WhatWhat pointed out, just a season removed from a 34 goal - 78 point campaign.

Even if Sharp is a 25 goal - 55 point guy up there, combined with some good 2-way play, nothing wrong with that.

Should he fall flat on his face and completely hold things up for the big boys, then you do some shuffling.

Besides....

Sharp = Hull
Oduya = Zubov
Niemi = Belfour
Eaves = Keane
Spezza = Nieuwendyk

LOL what?!

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door

Besides....

Sharp = Hull
Oduya = Zubov
Niemi = Belfour
Eaves = Keane
Spezza = Nieuwendyk

Yes yes, we got no Modano but its alright since we got our own Yzerman=Seguin and our Iginla=Benn.... well... yessssssss eeeeexcellent

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The short story is that Julius Honka could probably crack the roster however he isn't waiver eligible- unlike Jokipakka and Oleksiak, so he will be in the AHL.

There's a surplus of young, bottom pairing defenseman who could get NHL experience in the Stars organization. Esa Lindell, Stephen Johns, Julius Honka are all guys who likely are used as season call-ups when injuries occur to the regulars.

Even if Oleksiak or Jokipakka are traded, I think Stephen Johns gets called-up before Honka. Unless Honka has an unreal start to the season.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
What chance does Honka have at making the Stars this upcoming season or does he need more seasoning?

No chance because he's behind other guys. He could probably use more seasoning and he'll get it, but he's right on schedule.

Ermine

Sep 25, 2014
Benn - Seguin - Nuke
Sharp - Spezza - Hemsky
McKenzie - Fiddler - Eaves / Sceviour

Goligoski - Demers
Oduya - Klingberg
Oleksiak - Nemeth

The offense is great and the lines are easy to build, but putting together good defensive pairs is much harder a task. I don't like the idea of putting Demers in the 1st pair, but I can't think anything else that would work. Nemeth? Oduya? Those guys aren't players that thrive with big minutes. Neither is Demers though... We'll see.

Anyway I would send Riverdeck to AHL since I think Oleksiak has higher potential and there isn't that big of a difference between the players. If Stars should have one Finnish defenseman in the lineup it should be Lindell.

I would have PP-units like this:

Benn - Seguin - Spezza
Sharp - Klingberg

Nuke - Eakin - Hemsky
Demers - Goligoski

I don't think that the first unit would work as I have put it, best offensive players put together, but I think it's worth a try. Two possible changes are to have Goligoski instead of Klingberg and to have Nuke instead of Spezza. The second unit would be quite weak, but it has potential, too. Eaking being in front of the net and Hemsky dishing the puck to Nuke and other guys.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You send Jokipakka to the AHL and you run the risk of him getting claimed.

You send Jordie to the AHL and you run the risk of Jamie becoming depressed.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Jokipakka gets claimed, and I doubt we are about to start playing players with potential ahead of those who are currently better.

I'd much rather have Sharp on the point for the 2nd line than the 1st. The 1st unit needs a netfront/retrieval guy which might be Eaves again (I'm holding my nose). Having a point shot option for the 2nd line would give it something to do at least, which represents a big change from Fraser's usual plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad