Dallas Stars 2015-2016

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
After a very disappointing season with the Stars not making the playoffs what changes does the club need to make to get back in the picture next year?

Personally I don't think the problem is the goaltending...I know that sounds crazy. But, I think the biggest flaw is the d-core and the defensive system. Ruff is not the guy for the job and has to go. He blasts his players over and over in the media and doesn't have his players back. The d-zone is nonexistent and with that kind of scoring there should be no reason to miss the playoffs.

Coaching Staff depends on who gets fired. Julien? SJ coach? Bylsma?

Fwd I wouldn't change much...Ritchie and Val will be enough and bring back Eaves

Benn-Seguin-Val
Hemsky-Speeza-Ritchie
Garbutt-Eakin-Rousell
Sceviour-Fiddler-Eaves
Moen

Where the team needs big changes is the back end

Sekera-Klingberg
Goose-Michalek
Daley-Oduya
Benn

Kari
Greiss

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Where do Nemeth, Jokipakka, and Oleksiak go? They all require waivers next year. They're either on the roster on they're likely not a part of this organization.

Three FA defenders is overkill. As we've said multiple times, we don't need more depth, we need a top pairing defender to move everyone into place.

Ruff isn't going to get canned after two seasons. I don't disagree, his system doesn't seem to work for Dallas. But he'll get another season. If we miss the playoffs again, he needs to go. McLellan, Tippett, etc. could all be available, and I trust Nill to make the right choice. Vigneault was his #1 last time, and look at how strong his teams have been. Yes, they've had a ton of talent, but he knows how to fit his system to his players as well.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Defense

For D I would like to see:

Nemeth - Klingberg
Goligoski - Daley
Oleksiak - Demers
Jokipakka

Jordie Benn should not be anywhere near the lineup.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Defense for me next year

Nemeth - Klingberg
Goligoski - Franson
Oleksiak - Honka
Demers/Benn/Lindell/Jokipakka

Free agency is kind of weak this year, we may have to trade if we want a real defensive threat. Goaltending is still a questionmark as to whether or not Kari can still play at a starter level for a full season.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Where would Daley go off to?

Honka won't be in the NHL next season.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Where would Daley go off to?

Honka won't be in the NHL next season.

Daley would go to a team that needs an offensive dman, we'd get picks in return.

Obviously Honka is one of the last on that list of names but why are you certain he wont be getting a shot next year?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If we want to compete in the NHL we won't be starting 4 players with under 82 games in the show under their belt.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Defense for me next year

Nemeth - Klingberg
Goligoski - Franson
Oleksiak - Honka
Demers/Benn/Lindell/Jokipakka

Free agency is kind of weak this year, we may have to trade if we want a real defensive threat. Goaltending is still a questionmark as to whether or not Kari can still play at a starter level for a full season.

The last thing this team needs is Franson. Goli/Franson would be on for a lot of goals against. Maybe go after Beauchemin or Martin or someone else with good defensive skills.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The only problem I see is that any of Sekera, Michalek and/or Oduya are really only lateral moves, in that they are still second pair D. Not sure how they help, although Sekera is the only probable choice at age 28. This team has no reason to sign 32-33 year olds who are breaking down.

I see the only real option to go big as trades for Seabrook or go the Cowboys route and trade for Voynov if available, and putting up with the PR hassle.

In reality, we don't need three new D, we need one stud D who will move all our pairs down to more reasonable competition. And, that one trade would probably cost about as much in assets as making the other two trades combined.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
The only problem I see is that any of Sekera, Michalek and/or Oduya are really only lateral moves, in that they are still second pair D. Not sure how they help, although Sekera is the only probable choice at age 28. This team has no reason to sign 32-33 year olds who are breaking down.

I see the only real option to go big as trades for Seabrook or go the Cowboys route and trade for Voynov if available, and putting up with the PR hassle.

In reality, we don't need three new D, we need one stud D who will move all our pairs down to more reasonable competition. And, that one trade would probably cost about as much in assets as making the other two trades combined.

I agree with all of this (though I don't care for the Voynov idea).

Nill I'm sure (hope) will have have multiple irons in the fire for Seabrook. He should be plan A IMO, then Sekera.

Klingberg
Seabrook/Sekera
Goligoski
Nemeth
Demers
Daley
Oleksiak/Jokipakka

Not a bad lineup of dmen though Seabrook is preferred.

Assuming you trade Daley to make room for younger guys:

Klingberg
Seabrook/Sekera
Goligoski
Nemeth
Demers
Oleksiak

Jokipakka/Benn

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Daley would go to a team that needs an offensive dman, we'd get picks in return.

Obviously Honka is one of the last on that list of names but why are you certain he wont be getting a shot next year?

How quickly does a defenseman go from being drafted out of junior to the NHL? He has an advantage in already playing against men, but it takes time to teach offensive defensemen to not be a disaster. 2 full AHL seasons minimum, and there's no need to worry if it takes a 3rd to get him to the NHL.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The other thing to consider is whether even a Sekera would improve the D. I mean, basically, we did trade for a mid level veteran D (different skill set) in Demers, and I didn't see a whole lot of difference in the D stats, although I think they improved moderately later on. But, we still give up near 3 per game. Even if you think Sekera is a 1B-2 guy, while Demers is a 2B-3 guy, I am not sure that alone will drop the GAA.

We need a stud, but we also need a change in philosophy, which I am sure Ruff is capable of bringing. the Firewagon hockey just is never going to cut it in today's HHL, and in retrospect, I wonder why Nill and Ruff thought it would?

I know Detroit drafts and plays skill players, but its always been a good two way system predicated on skating. We do have the skating to pull it off, but not the system, it seems to me.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
The very fact that Honka just got drafted means it won't be him; brining Honka to Dallas means that one more of Oleksiak / Jokipakka / Nemeth / etc has to be sent back down to Austin and probably gets nabbed off waivers on the way. I would hope the Coyotes would claim any of the three.

Let Honka play a bigger role in Austin and continue to round out his game. The team's record got kicked in the team this year while getting some of those Growing Pains Minutes to the aforementioned trio; it'd be silly to give them away and then take on more of those GPM for Honka when there's still plenty more he can do in Austin.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The very fact that Honka just got drafted means it won't be him; brining Honka to Dallas means that one more of Oleksiak / Jokipakka / Nemeth / etc has to be sent back down to Austin and probably gets nabbed off waivers on the way. I would hope the Coyotes would claim any of the three.

Let Honka play a bigger role in Austin and continue to round out his game. The team's record got kicked in the team this year while getting some of those Growing Pains Minutes to the aforementioned trio; it'd be silly to give them away and then take on more of those GPM for Honka when there's still plenty more he can do in Austin.

None of Oleksiak, Jokipakka, or Nemeth will go on waivers. One or more will be traded this summer to get assets in return. You don't hust put young quality guys like that out on the curb to be picked up like an old couch.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
None of Oleksiak, Jokipakka, or Nemeth will go on waivers. One or more will be traded this summer to get assets in return. You don't hust put young quality guys like that out on the curb to be picked up like an old couch.
Yeah, there aren't enough jobs for these guys, so Nill will make room by picking favorites by using one or more in trades.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
The very fact that Honka just got drafted means it won't be him; brining Honka to Dallas means that one more of Oleksiak / Jokipakka / Nemeth / etc has to be sent back down to Austin and probably gets nabbed off waivers on the way.

Oleksiak hasn't made the big club yet though and I'm not sure Jokipakka is a permanent solution either. I honestly see Honka as a future replacement for Goligoski, I'm not sure if that's an unrealistic expectation but he has impressed me seeing as the team wasn't even sure if he was going to be able to play pro at the beginning of the year.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Oleksiak hasn't made the big club yet though and I'm not sure Jokipakka is a permanent solution either. I honestly see Honka as a future replacement for Goligoski, I'm not sure if that's an unrealistic expectation but he has impressed me seeing as the team wasn't even sure if he was going to be able to play pro at the beginning of the year.

Oleksiak would be in Dallas full time if Jokipakka wasn't playing so well, and I don't know what the latter needs to show you to convince you he's at least the 6 we hoped Jordie would be.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
After a very disappointing season with the Stars not making the playoffs what changes does the club need to make to get back in the picture next year?

Personally I don't think the problem is the goaltending...I know that sounds crazy. But, I think the biggest flaw is the d-core and the defensive system. Ruff is not the guy for the job and has to go. He blasts his players over and over in the media and doesn't have his players back. The d-zone is nonexistent and with that kind of scoring there should be no reason to miss the playoffs.

Coaching Staff depends on who gets fired. Julien? SJ coach? Bylsma?

Fwd I wouldn't change much...Ritchie and Val will be enough and bring back Eaves

Benn-Seguin-Val
Hemsky-Speeza-Ritchie
Garbutt-Eakin-Rousell
Sceviour-Fiddler-Eaves
Moen

Where the team needs big changes is the back end

Sekera-Klingberg
Goose-Michalek
Daley-Oduya
Benn

Kari
Greiss

I'd hope neither of those two are part of this organization before October rolls in.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Forward
Jamie Benn
Tyler Seguin
Val Nichushkin
Jason Spezza
Patrick Eaves
Antoine Roussel
Cody Eakin
Brett Ritchie
Colton Sceviour
Vern Fiddler
Travis Moen
Curtis McKenzie
Someone else (Trade, UFA)

Defense
John Klingberg
Mike Green
Alex Goligoski
Jason Demers
Patrik Nemeth
Jamie Oleksiak or Jyrki Jokipakka

Goal
Someone else (Trade, UFA, RFA, Open tryouts, Eenie Meenie Miney Mo, Paper Rock Scissors)
Jack Campbell

Coach
Mike Babcock

This is a blend of what I think will be, and what I'd like to see.

Shawn Horcoff I wouldn't mind back at all, I left him off though. Not sure what happens there.

If I'm Jim Nill, I offer sheet Dougie Hamilton and he's on that list.

I see if there's a forward worth bringing in who can play with Spezza as well. Hemsky is out.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
An offer sheet to Hamilton would be amazing and gutsy. Not sure if it's really much of a weapon in many GM's repetoire's anymore though (which is a shame, sometimes).

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Forward
Jamie Benn
Tyler Seguin
Val Nichushkin
Jason Spezza
Patrick Eaves
Antoine Roussel
Cody Eakin
Brett Ritchie
Colton Sceviour
Vern Fiddler
Travis Moen
Curtis McKenzie

Defense
John Klingberg
Mike Green
Alex Goligoski
Jason Demers
Patrik Nemeth
Jamie Oleksiak or Jyrki Jokipakka

Goal
Someone else (Trade, UFA, RFA, Open tryouts, Eenie Meenie Miney Mo, Paper Rock Scissors)
Jack Campbell

Coach
Mike Babcock

This is a blend of what I think will be, and what I'd like to see.

Shawn Horcoff I wouldn't mind back at all, I left him off though. Not sure what happens there.

If I'm Jim Nill, I offer sheet Dougie Hamilton and he's on that list.

I see if there's a forward worth bringing in who can play with Spezza as well. Hemsky is out.

I really don't think better options in goal are available in the start-up position. Kari is likely the starter in 2015-16 whether we like it or not. Also, not sure why JC has warranted a call-up with his 11-14-5 and 0.905 sv%. He obviously needs more experience and conditioning in the AHL.

I will have to agree on your choice of coach. While Ruff isn't entirely at fault and we could pinpoint the failures this season on special teams and goalie coaching, it usually happens that the head-coach walks out with his support staff. Babcock is too good an option to pass on should he be available in the summer.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
An offer sheet to Hamilton would be amazing and gutsy. Not sure if it's really much of a weapon in many GM's repetoire's anymore though (which is a shame, sometimes).

That to me would be Nill's checkmate. Likely not going to happen, but it'd be pretty awesome.

I really don't think better options in goal are available in the start-up position. Kari is likely the starter in 2015-16 whether we like it or not. Also, not sure why JC has warranted a call-up with his 11-14-5 and 0.905 sv%. He obviously needs more experience and conditioning in the AHL.

I will have to agree on your choice of coach. While Ruff isn't entirely at fault and we could pinpoint the failures this season on special teams and goalie coaching, it usually happens that the head-coach walks out with his support staff. Babcock is too good an option to pass on should he be available in the summer.

Campbell being up with the big club is part wishful thinking, and part believing that he just needs to be pushed.

He's had a rough go this season with Texas, but I've stated all year he just needs confidence and that comes with playing. He'd get a game, then sit for up to 2 weeks. He could have helped himself by winning that game or at least playing well, but being stapled to the bench wasn't helping him at all. It sucked to see him go down to the ECHL, but clearly he just needed to play. He was stellar down there, and he's been pretty damn good since returning Feb 27. He's 7-5 with a .926 SV% (Stopping 389 of 420 shots) with one shutout. He's been the Jack Campbell he was previously, which is obviously good.

The next few months are up to him. He can prepare himself and have a strong camp. He needs to. The spot is for him to grab. Some times a goalie just needs to be thrown in to the fire so he can sink or swim.

I don't know who will be our starter if it's not Kari, but I just want a change there. Heck, maybe Jack is that guy (Not likely, but stranger things have happened). Regardless, I want change there.

As for Babcock, he's the best/smartest coach going. He's up there with the greats of the game like Scotty Bowman and Al Arbour. I like Ruff, but there's no way I hesitate to make that change should it be a possibility. Babcock would be a game-changer for this team.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think we'd officially win the Kessel trade if we do oversheet and acquire Hamilton :laugh::sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad