Confirmed with Link: Dallas re-signs Garbutt (3 years, $1.8 million per)

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
I'm torn. I feel like garbutt has overachieved this year a lot and his return would be worth more to the organization than what he will personally bring.

The other side of me is enjoying what he has brought so far this year.

The thing that makes Garbutt valuable is that he seems to be able to generate shot attempts on the opposition net (which when you think about it requires you to have possession of the puck in the opposition zone) at a rate that is almost uniquely good for players that are on the ice for 11-13 minutes a night (I'll use that description instead of 3rd / 4th liner). Antoine Roussel seems to share this quality with Garbutt, and the two have combined to form a very effective two way line no matter who they are centered by.

Usually these guys get trapped in their own end and give up scoring chances by the boatload if top players on the other team are up against them, Garbutt and Roussel are able to not only prevent that from happening to them but often push back. If you have guys like this lower down in the lineup it goes a long way towards giving your top players a break from shouldering all the responsibility for creating attacking zone time and chances. We all saw how terrible Pittsburgh looked last week when the best they can ask from their depth players is "please don't screw up too badly when you are out there and allow a goal".

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I'm glad he's going to stick around. Fast and tenacious and gets a lot of pucks on net. Will he score goals at this pace over the course of his contract? Maybe not but even if he's scoring 7-8 goals he's valuable unless they are overpaying him. Even if they are a little I'm okay with it.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Glad to have him back. Hopefully we can get Roussel locked up also.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Roussel adds character even if he adds some bad penalties. Other teams would push us around a lot more without him. He holds his own even though he's not a heavyweight.. in fact he can make plays and chip in goals. Marketability too..

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Good deal for both parties. We need to build some stability and give the other guys some peace of mind as well as the big guys. Garbutt gives up a little bit of size but with his speed and toughness he can be a good 3-4th liner in the NHL.. Also knows how to score as the numbers from this season show.

I'd say he's gotten some soft penalties after the Penner hit and that has affected his play a little.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Glad this happened. Hopefully Rousell signs soon.

No worries ... he's a RFA. They could for sure sign him, but don't worry if he only gets a QO at the end of the year. Nill will have his hands full with Dillon and Eakin.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
No worries ... he's a RFA. They could for sure sign him, but don't worry if he only gets a QO at the end of the year. Nill will have his hands full with Dillon and Eakin.

Eakin will take a reasonable bridge I would think. Dillon has more leverage as defenseman salaries keep ratcheting up.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Eakin will take a reasonable bridge I would think. Dillon has more leverage as defenseman salaries keep ratcheting up.

A bridge contract is rarely a quick negotiation, but I like the optimism. They have plenty examples of what he should be paid so I hate when they drag their feet.

I don't believe though that Dillon's will be any more difficult. Eakin has just as much room to argue he's a 2nd line center as Dillon has to argue he deserves more than his comparable contracts because of his position on the team.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This guy works for a Winnipeg newspaper:

Ken Wiebe ‏@WiebeSunSports

Winnipeg's Ryan Garbutt signs a three-year extension with Dallas #Stars worth $5.4 million to avoid free agency. Took the long road to NHL

Unconfirmed but that puts him at $1.8 million. I'm nervous and a bit uncomfortable there. With that number, I'd expect about 12 to 15 goals on average from him.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'm fine with the price and the term, it's not like it makes him untradeable if it came right down to it. He's good enough to deserve that contract the way he's been playing this season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm fine with the price and the term, it's not like it makes him untradeable if it came right down to it. He's good enough to deserve that contract the way he's been playing this season.

That's honestly a healthy way to look at it I guess. Worst case scenario ... I'd almost guarantee someone would be more than happy with him at $900K.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
That's honestly a healthy way to look at it I guess. Worst case scenario ... I'd almost guarantee someone would be more than happy with him at $900K.

If the cap were to go up to about $70M, it's less than 1/35th of the cap. That averages out to less than a mid-level player on the roster, and I'm ok with thinking Ryan Garbutt is around that level of player. I'm pretty sure someone offers him $3M if he hits 20 goals this year during UFA signings.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
A bridge contract is rarely a quick negotiation, but I like the optimism. They have plenty examples of what he should be paid so I hate when they drag their feet.

I don't believe though that Dillon's will be any more difficult. Eakin has just as much room to argue he's a 2nd line center as Dillon has to argue he deserves more than his comparable contracts because of his position on the team.

My optimism is comes from:
1) I think Eakin really likes it here, the system/identity fits his skills
2) there is an advantage to a 2 year bridge contract, because high money (for your level) also needs high years, and I really believe Eakin is just starting to emerge. In two more years, he can seriously get paid as a FA or the years he wants or both.

He just screams bridge contract because he is just starting to really come into his own.

What's a fair salary for him? Who is the best comparable?

With Dillon, i just think defenseman are going up in price constantly and they all have leverage.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Well I've noted that I don't think Garbutt is very good. I will admit though he has been pretty important for the team at times. He is a pretty streaky player who gives it his all every shift. Hopefully he can continue that level of commitment because if he slows down at all he isn't going to bring much to the table.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
My optimism is comes from:
1) I think Eakin really likes it here, the system/identity fits his skills
2) there is an advantage to a 2 year bridge contract, because high money (for your level) also needs high years, and I really believe Eakin is just starting to emerge. In two more years, he can seriously get paid as a FA or the years he wants or both.

He just screams bridge contract because he is just starting to really come into his own.

What's a fair salary for him? Who is the best comparable?

With Dillon, i just think defenseman are going up in price constantly and they all have leverage.

I posted the best information I could find in this thread.

I don't disagree that bridge contracts should be easy to agree on ... they should. Traditionally though both sides drag their feet until the guy signs for exactly what everyone expected to begin with.

That has nothing to do with loyalty though ... that's just the way RFA negotiations go. They don't have leverage so they tend to drag on.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
This guy works for a Winnipeg newspaper:

Unconfirmed but that puts him at $1.8 million. I'm nervous and a bit uncomfortable there. With that number, I'd expect about 12 to 15 goals on average from him.
With the cap going up, we won't even notice a $1.8 million healthy scratch.

MetalGodAOD*

A little more than I'd like but it's the new going rate for elite at being a 4th liner players (Prust set that tone). Overall you can do a lot worse on your 4th line and bottom 6 depth than Garbutt. Tons of teams would see him as an upgrade to a stagnant 4th line. So whatever, I'm OK with it.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Like the deal. Great 4th liner who can forecheck and put pucks in the back of the net. Has the speed element to bring, and he's not afraid to block shots.

Price seems pretty fair with the cap going up, so it's a solid B grade from me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad