Confirmed with Link: Dallas re-signs Garbutt (3 years, $1.8 million per)

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Still a rumor at this point, but it's obviously legit:

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika

According to insiders, Stars have agreed to a contract extension with Ryan Garbutt. Expected to be three years. More to come after practice.

It's official.
“Ryan has shown that he is an effective, hard-hitting forward that plays the game with a great deal of speed and tenacity,†said Nill. “Over the course of the season, he has earned the trust of his coaching staff and has played himself into a role where we ask him to play against our opponent’s top players on a nightly basis. It’s a great credit to the work he has put in and we’re excited to have him signed.â€

Last edited by a moderator:

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
3 years probably takes him through his useful life as a 4th liner, hopefully the salary is right and this is a good contract going forward. Garbutt is as good a 4th line player as you could want to have on your team. :)

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
I'll wait and see the dollars but he's a good 4th line player. Aside from the bad penalty here and there, he's solid at what he does. Nice to see him chip in the odd goal here and there too.

Primetimey*

Solid fourth line player, good signing if the $$$ is alright.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
When he's not taking stupid penalties, anyway.

Always my issue with him, and to me it'a a large one. That said, I think he's been better lately, and Ruff rides his ass when it happens. If Nill and Ruff think they have it under control and can push the right buttons ... I'm good if the price is good.

I am a bit concerned though we just got rid of all the whiny guys that take dumb penalties. Now we have Roussel, Garbutt, and a guy like McKenzie close. That's three guys that either have or will have a reputation for shenanigans. I don't want this situation to devolve like it did with Ott and Morrow.

aisforaaron83

May 24, 2008
i seem to be in the minority, but he is more than a 4th liner. that line of eakin roussel and garbutt is as good a 3rd line that you can find. They are playing 2nd line minutes, but I think 3rd line is more realistic on a good team. His speed and tenacity are great. I totally agree that he has to get a handle on the bad penalties, but it is getting better. I am happy about it, unless the $ is ridiculous. My guess would be that it increments upward each year. carry on.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
“Ryan has shown that he is an effective, hard-hitting forward that plays the game with a great deal of speed and tenacity,” said Nill. “Over the course of the season, he has earned the trust of his coaching staff and has played himself into a role where we ask him to play against our opponent’s top players on a nightly basis. It’s a great credit to the work he has put in and we’re excited to have him signed.”

It's official.

Will a mod please change to confirmed with link.

LoneStarHockey

Sep 19, 2011
Texas
I'm happy. This is good for the Stars, Garbutt is a solid depth player that will continue to improve. I am interested to see what the $$ looks like, but I'm sure it is within reason.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
i seem to be in the minority, but he is more than a 4th liner. that line of eakin roussel and garbutt is as good a 3rd line that you can find. They are playing 2nd line minutes, but I think 3rd line is more realistic on a good team. His speed and tenacity are great. I totally agree that he has to get a handle on the bad penalties, but it is getting better. I am happy about it, unless the $ is ridiculous. My guess would be that it increments upward each year. carry on.

With Ruff rolling three lines and everyone playing over 10 minutes a game, 3rd/4th doesn't really matter. Call them the checking line if you like, but your point is correct that most nights they perform admirably in a shutdown role. They excel as an energy line.

If you keep that line together, you did need at least another offensive center to play and form a solid 2nd scoring line behind Seguin and Benn ... someone that when Nuke is ready can feed him the puck so teams are forced to decide which elite player to shutdown.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
FWIW .... Nill's quote likely means $$$. Guys who play against the top line on the other side get paid ... well. It was likely a big sticking point for his agent ... and that's not even touching the offense.

I really wanted to see less than $1.25, but I'm thinking closer to $2 potentially. I'd take Garbutt (and my minor grudge against him early this season) 100 times out of 100 over Hendricks who just got 3 and $1.85.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
The nice thing I have seen from Roussel is his ability to just skate away from shenanigans.

It's probably a deal similar to Hendricks... he just needs to keep up his current pace over the life of the contract.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Garbutt is playing a role far above that of a 4th liner, both in terms of his goal scoring and defensive play, but he's also playing far better than he ever has in the past. He's scoring at close to a 20 goal pace in a contract year. We'll see if that can keep up once the ink dries.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
A bit of a risk, but you need players like Garbutt. He is probably one of my favorite players on the team when he's good, and one of my most hated players when he's bad and taking penalties. Hopefully he can keep up this years play for the next three years.

haf

Mar 3, 2008

I don't think Garbutt being seen as more than a good 4rd liner this year is a minority opinion. There are noted exceptions here on HF, but that's all well and good and are still exceptions.

He is definitely playing more minutes, scoring more goals, and is more depended on than a 4th line forward. I actually like him as much if not more than Nystrom. As fast as Nystrom was, Garbutt is noticeably faster.

I still think Garbutt is the best forechecker on the team. I would love to see the percentage of times that he goes first on the forecheck on a dump in that we get the puck back versus when it goes the other way. I really think he would be very high on a league wide list.

Good signing IMO. Hope it's for around 1.5-1.75. But I would be happy in almost any realistic money scenario.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
Always my issue with him, and to me it'a a large one. That said, I think he's been better lately, and Ruff rides his ass when it happens. If Nill and Ruff think they have it under control and can push the right buttons ... I'm good if the price is good.

I am a bit concerned though we just got rid of all the whiny guys that take dumb penalties. Now we have Roussel, Garbutt, and a guy like McKenzie close. That's three guys that either have or will have a reputation for shenanigans. I don't want this situation to devolve like it did with Ott and Morrow.

I tend to think it won't be as big of a problem as it was with Ott and Morrow. With Ott and Morrow being leaders on the team, their actions had a trickle down effect to the team.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
He's fine if he's not overpaid. Most 4th line guys don't score like he does and quite frankly given some of the crap we've rolled out in that 4th line roll the past half decade he's decidedly better but he's got to keep the penalties under control. Keeping him also makes it easier to flip Whitney and Fiddler because that's one less roster spot they have to fill going forward.

As long as they go and a few defenders get moved now or at the draft I'll probably be pretty happy, depending on their returns.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I'm torn. I feel like garbutt has overachieved this year a lot and his return would be worth more to the organization than what he will personally bring.

The other side of me is enjoying what he has brought so far this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad