Confirmed with Link: Dallas re-signs Garbutt (3 years, $1.8 million per)

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The money is more than you want to pay your 4th liner but he's not playing the role of one on this team. The way Nill's quote is worded he doesn't see Garbutt as a 4th liner. Given his production this season I think that's a fair'ish assessment. I've always been lukewarm on Garbutt but his line has been pretty effective. The gamble is that he's done maturing and we're always going to see the guy that takes stupid penalties at bad times. This is especially true if he's going to be checking one of the other team's top two lines.

All in all this isn't a contract to get one's panties twisted over.

MetalGodAOD*

All in all this isn't a contract to get one's panties twisted over.

Agreed. I think we on HF too often get obsessed with not overpaying and having cap flexibility. A guy making a few extra $100k a year isn't going to break a team, especially one so lacking in talent as this one.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
You can't just produce these guys and then get rid of them once they're poised to make over 1-1.5 mill, only to bring in some plug that may hopefully do the same eventually (in Garbutt's case probably not), just to save a few hundred grand.

Not like I'm a huge fan, but as an entire package he's proved himself and he deserves this. It's not an over payment, and his penalties aren't a huge deal. Players like that take penalties, that's just a fact. He sits 50th in the league in PIMs so not exactly smashing records there. It's likely that many players ahead of him have wracked up mins by dropping the gloves rather than taking minors, but it's also likely that not many of them can skate like he can, create havoc in the offensive zone like he does, and are scoring at a 16 goal clip like he is.

You pay your players.

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Agree that the dollars might be a bit high ($1.6m?), but good signing. Tom Wandell, Tom Vincour, Scott Glennie and Colton Sceviour all have more talent than Garbutt, but none of them are in Dallas because Garbutt wouldn't get out of the way. One of the good finds of the GMJN1.0 flea market era ... hope he keeps it up.

:handclap:

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
disagree about Vincour and Wandell, neither are good enough to even be on a NHL roster anymore. Wandell never had 10 goals in any of his NHL seasons and Vincour never had more than 4 goals.

Primetimey*

I would say Vincour, Wandell, and Garbutt all have a similar "talent level" each player just plays a different game and Garbutt's style of game is best suited for that "talent level".

InTheCreaseDallas

Dec 25, 2012
Dallas, TX
Garbutt is a very effective player on this team regardless of his tendency to take a vast amount of offensive zone penalties. Is he a second line winger? Absolutely not. But he's a guy that should be a mainstay on your fourth line with the ability to play on the third line and hit that 12-15 goal range. He's fast, puts a lot of pucks on net, brings edge to his game, and at 1.8 mil a year, this is good deal.

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
I use to not like Garbutt, but lately he has become one of my favorite players. He is fast, gritty, and has a nice shot. He is probably the hardest hitter on this team and is also a good PKer. Hopefully we get roussel locked up and our 3rd/4th line is set.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I would say Vincour, Wandell, and Garbutt all have a similar "talent level" each player just plays a different game and Garbutt's style of game is best suited for that "talent level".

Exactly. Talent lots of times has less to do with a player's success than actual ability and just sheer will. Garbutt doesnt need to be as "talented" as guys like Vincour or Wandell or the thousands of others who were "talented" but couldnt hack it. He fills a role and does things those guys couldnt do. Heck, lots of players were more talented than even Gretzky.

Disclaimer: No I'm not comparing Garbutt and Gretzky

And what IF it is an over payment? How much are we over paying, 100 grand? 200 grand? 300? Big deal. Pay your players.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Exactly. Talent lots of times has less to do with a player's success than actual ability and just sheer will. Garbutt doesnt need to be as "talented" as guys like Vincour or Wandell or the thousands of others who were "talented" but couldnt hack it. He fills a role and does things those guys couldnt do. Heck, lots of players were more talented than even Gretzky.

Disclaimer: No I'm not comparing Garbutt and Gretzky

And what IF it is an over payment? How much are we over paying, 100 grand? 200 grand? 300? Big deal. Pay your players.

Bingo. This is not "overpaying" as far as contracts in the NHL go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad