Dallas Eakins career coaching record in the NHL is abysmal : 83 wins, 158 losses, .333

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
13-14 Oilers - missed the play-offs
14-15 Oilers - fired
19-20 Ducks - missed the play-offs
20-21 Ducks - missed the play-offs

83 wins, 158 losses (83-132-32) .333

----

2013 -> 2015 he played mind games with several 1st overall, 1st round selected and other players
most notoriously; Nail Yakupov, Taylor Hall and RNH

2019 -> Ritchie, Kase, Sprong, Terry, Steel, Petterson
all 6 had a very promising starts as Ducks, before Eakins arrived

Now Ritchie, Kase, Sprong, Petterson are all gone, Steel & Terry's development has stalled
the only one that Eakins has not yet "ruined" is, Max Comtois.

Ducks like, Rakell, Silvferberg, Henrique, all have declined under Eakins...
same could be said about John Gibson as well

I fear of the future, possible super stars; Zegras & Drysdale...
also, Comtois as well

----

Why did Ducks signed Dallas Eakins as their head coach???, i wondered it then, i still do
Sure, Ducks suck, their roster is no good, but they have possible stars, super stars in that roster,
prospects of now.

Yes, really can't say how Eakins would do with a better Ducks roster,' cause he has never had one for the first place but...but what he did in Edmonton... i thought his NHL coaching career was done for.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
His stint in Edmonton was in range of worst coach in the history of the NHL territory.

Oilers fans can't agree on anything but I challenge you to find a single one that will defend this guy. You won't.
So many of his decisions were just baffling. Scratching our best defenseman (Petry) because he made a couple mistakes. The stupid swarm strategy that failed in every way. Minor league strategies. What a useless coach.

I think Dallas Eakins may be not only the worst coach in NHL history, but the worst person to hold any job in NHL history. He was so, so bad.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ducks fans are feeling the pain now. He is a black hole when it comes to offense. I blame Eakins more than the roster. A good or even decent coach would have gotten more out of this current roster, even if lacking.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Is he still doing the swarm with the Ducks? Watched a period or 2 of Ducks last season and they only had Rakell and Zegras making plays with no one to finish the play.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
His stint in Edmonton was in range of worst coach in the history of the NHL territory.

Oilers fans can't agree on anything but I challenge you to find a single one that will defend this guy. You won't.

The guy loved himself something fierce as well. Loved the camera. He was getting the Toronto media treatment for a few seasons prior, calling him the next best thing (for no other reason than he was in the Leaf organization) and it clearly got to his head.

The icing on the cake was when he finally took a bullet and became probably the only Head Coach in NHL history to get fired, but then ask for a media availability afterwards which the Oilers dumbfoundingly granted him. That presser was an all timer in all the wrong reasons.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Without commenting on Eakin's quality as a coach, I think it is a bit much to say he ruined any particular player - perhaps those players just weren't that good/ready for NHL action. It's not like we look back on any roster he had with the benefit of hindsight and say "he should have made the playoffs with that roster".

Commenting on Eakins: Yes, he is a bad NHL coach.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The guy loved himself something fierce as well. Loved the camera. He was getting the Toronto media treatment for a few seasons prior, calling him the next best thing (for no other reason than he was in the Leaf organization) and it clearly got to his head.

The icing on the cake was when he finally took a bullet and became probably the only Head Coach in NHL history to get fired, but then ask for a media availability afterwards which the Oilers dumbfoundingly granted him. That presser was an all timer in all the wrong reasons.

Oh god that presser was bad at the time, and did not age well.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

Hard to blame coaches when the Oilers have been bottom tier at defense forever as they collected and wasted their assets over the years to have a spectacular core of young offensive players with yet one of the worst tendies duo and terrible defense as a whole pulling them back from being one of the best teams in the NHL. Now people look at McD and Drai and think ''well maybe if they play better defense'' when you have tools running around like headless chickens as a support cast. And now blaming the coach. Or former coach. Not saying Eakins is a good coach but he has been scapegoated by an inept GM and a mentality that seems to last to this day.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Hard to blame coaches when the Oilers have been bottom tier at defense forever as they collected and wasted their assets over the years to have a spectacular core of young offensive players with yet one of the worst tendies duo and terrible defense as a whole pulling them back from being one of the best teams in the NHL. Now people look at McD and Drai and think ''well maybe if they play better defense'' when you have tools running around like headless chickens as a support cast. And now blaming the coach. Or former coach. Not saying Eakins is a good coach but he has been scapegoated by an inept GM and a mentality that seems to last to this day.

Ok - look at the team's results immediately before and after he was there. Nobody, as in zero people are blaming him for the Oilers being bad. They are blaming him for being an utter embarrassment from every single perspective as an NHL coach.

The team sucked - yes. He took a shitty team and made it so much worse that it almost seemed deliberate. I think the Oilers won about 4 of their first 25 games with him there or something like that.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Doesnt really deserve the benefit of the doubt but you cant deny hes had pitiful rosters every year he has coached in the league

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Eakins had a worse record than Kruegar and Todd Nelson despite having the same rosters.
EVERY player under Eakins regressed.

Oh and then this was absolute hilarity:

Eakins Swarm Defense:
bzb5y2iceaaw9sz.jpg

ErqgMG1.png

Oilers_NYR_Swarm_mistake.jpg

This is what the fans thought:

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Ok - look at the team's results immediately before and after he was there. Nobody, as in zero people are blaming him for the Oilers being bad. They are blaming him for being an utter embarrassment from every single perspective as an NHL coach.

The team sucked - yes. He took a shitty team and made it so much worse that it almost seemed deliberate. I think the Oilers won about 4 of their first 25 games with him there or something like that.
I don't deny he was bad, I just said he wasn't the only one lol. Nowadays Oilers are my favorite Western conference team and I think with just a couple better Ds and a top 10 goaltending duo, they could win it all. But still, even last year their defense, bro... So frustrating to watch them play.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Please don't try and tell us that you think these two things are the same:

Oilers 2013-15: 3.31 GA/GP for last in the league
Oilers 2019-21: 2.90 GA/GP for 14th in the league

And I would add that the 2019-21 Oilers played both seasons without their #1-D man, whose injury can hardly be blamed on Holland.

Reactions: snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad