Dallas Cowboys are in trouble

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The thing I'm seeing with Dak is, I don't think he's working through his progressions. Seems like a lot of plays where he's throwing to the primary read and nothing else. Pre-snap reads are one thing but he's not thinking on his feet. At the very least, he's cutting the field in half which was fine for a young QB 10 years ago but in today's game is way too limiting.

But I don't even know how much I can blame him because their pass pro is TERRIBLE. It looks like a line where they just slapped a bunch of first-round picks together and assumed it would work great, that's not how a good offensive line is put together. You have to have some synergy and team chemistry going on, but they're just out there playing one-on-one and it doesn't work, defensive line play is too good anymore.

They have two quality players on that line right now. Connor Williams is not a good guard and La'el Collins is a shit tackle. Center is a back up so I can't get mad at that.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
It doesn't matter. None of this matters. Jerry only cares about the team being the most valuable in sports. He cares more about the stadium being booked for big events than he does the standings. He cares more about being in control than he does winning.

As long as Jerry is alive, the Cowboys are going to be a mess. Even if they fire Garrett and Linehan, it's not like any good coach wants this job. Jerry will just find another listless yes man. No coach worth a darn wants to work for an organization where the coach has no say in who is assistant coaches are, what players he has, what players are active, or how he disciples his players. No coach wants to have the owner sit in on coaches meetings.

The only thing you can do as a Cowboys fan is wait for Jerry to die. Even then, you have to hold your breath and hope the kids decide to hire a real GM. Right now, it looks like all Jerry dying would do is see Stephen step into the same role Jerry occupies.
He just keeps hauling in cash , why should he care if the HC and QB are garbage. Dak =RG3

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Jones needs to drop the GM gig and go waaaaaaaaaaay outside the organization to hire someone for football ops.

Its a coveted job and he could have his pick of executives, while he stays hands off, collects the cheques and lets the football guys do the football things.

The best is when he said he wanted the make Garrett his Tom Landry..... ignoring the fact that Landry was a 2x champion (hence the job security) and forgetting that he was the one who unceremoniously fired him.
Same Gerry who got rid of the Tuna,the hottest commodity in the NFL.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
So what would you do with Dak this offseason then? Are you trading him?

Just for some context, my thought on Dak is that he's probably a mid-tier QB (say 15th best) playing like the 20th best this year. I don't think he's playing great or anything. But if we have a game this weekend, I'm still picking him over Smith, Keenum, Carr, Bortles, Manning, whoever the 49ers/Dolphins are starting and all of the rookies. Probably a couple others, too.
Picking Dak over five of the worst QBs in the league isn’t much of an endorsement.

As for what to do with him... I keep Dak until his contract expires after next season. He’s still a cheap backup no matter what.

I also start looking for a new QB, which is tough to do. Don’t have a first round pick to use to draft a guy or to trade for a guy. The best option in free agency is probably Teddy Bridgewater, but there will be competition for him.

Chances are Dak is the QB next season no matter what due to a lack of options. And if he keeps playing like this, the Cowboys will be in line for a decent draft pick in 2020 to use on a QB.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Picking Dak over five of the worst QBs in the league isn’t much of an endorsement.

As for what to do with him... I keep Dak until his contract expires after next season. He’s still a cheap backup no matter what.

I also start looking for a new QB, which is tough to do. Don’t have a first round pick to use to draft a guy or to trade for a guy. The best option in free agency is probably Teddy Bridgewater, but there will be competition for him.

Chances are Dak is the QB next season no matter what due to a lack of options. And if he keeps playing like this, the Cowboys will be in line for a decent draft pick in 2020 to use on a QB.

I listed 11 QB's or situations. Still not enough, he needs to be better.

I don't think he's coming to camp without a new contract. You could probably get a 1st round pick for him if you wanted, though.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I listed 11 QB's or situations. Still not enough, he needs to be better.

I don't think he's coming to camp without a new contract. You could probably get a 1st round pick for him if you wanted, though.
I didn’t notice you tossing in all of the rookies.

Either way, what you’re describing isn’t a helpful way to decide what to do with him. The question isn’t who is he better than this week. The question is who will he be better than next season and the season(s) after that. If he’s projecting to be a bottom third QB, it would be a very very bad idea to give him the extension Jerry is going to give him. The Cowboys are essentially going to copy the Ryan Tannehill decision.

Any team offering a first for him gets him today if I’m GM. You can find a spare free agent QB to play as well as he has while you figure out your next QB.

Reactions: Amerika and m9

fin8

Apr 10, 2010
sault.ste.marie,on
How would you rate Dak as a QB though? All things equal with a decent supporting cast around him.
He’s well below average. Daks biggest issue is his accuracy. That’s a major issue to have if you’re a QB. The supporting cast around him isn’t all that bad. I mean, if he needs a pro bowl team around him, then, how good is he really? The biggest problem with the Cowboys is the whole coaching staff. It all comes down to Mr Jones, because he is the one who keeps them all employed.

Reactions: Babe Ruth
Sep 19, 2008
I had the good fortune of taping the Dan Lebatard Show on ESPNews on Monday. Having them interrupt their show to watch a sweating profusely Michael Irvin segment was magical.

Screamin' Stephen trolling the crowd later with Irvin just looking on was great as well

I know a lot of people here don't like the First Take posts but damn it they're posted because they're absolutely hilarious. The way Irvin sweats throughout so much that people have to come on set and wipe him down is great. He's delusional about his Cowboys and kept trying to hype up the crowd :laugh:

Reactions: Reality Check

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
But all this hate on Dak is incorrect in my eyes. Sorry.

If there is all this hate on Dak, why isn't there any on Elliott? Hes had a horrible season compared to past seasons!

Dak is the object of the plays called. End of story.

We run the ball 95% of the time on 1st down. Defenses know this.

We do not throw the ball down field at all, stats show it happens less the 1 time a game since Linehan has taken the OC job.

We only threw the ball to Beasley 2 times last game, and it happened with 4 minutes left in the game.

He is our possession receiver that can get you 5+ yards a catch easily. This opens up the entire game both running and down field when you have short threats like Beasley on the team. Linehan is the issue. He really needs to go. Dak isn't the issue. He can be a top 15 QB in this league if the right plays are called at the right time. Linehan and Garrett are putting him, Zeke and this oline in a position to fail.

How does a team like Dallas with the players they have, have 2 weeks to plan for one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL with large holes on their D and LOSE. Something isn't right, and its not the players I'm sorry. Linehan and Garrett need to go.

Sep 19, 2008
Dak is decent. Everyone hating on Dak is hilarious. He literally has nobody around him. NOBODY. Tha'ts why they traded for Cooper. Now they at least have someone. But it's not enough.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Dak is decent. Everyone hating on Dak is hilarious. He literally has nobody around him. NOBODY. Tha'ts why they traded for Cooper. Now they at least have someone. But it's not enough.

It is hilarious to say that Dak is the issue I agree. But I do not agree that we have nothing around him. With Zeke, Cooper, Beasley, Gallup and the offensive line we have that should be plenty to be ranked in top 15 in the league when it comes to offence. Dallas is ranked 29th out of 32 teams!!!! 29TH, are you kidding me.

What do teams like TB, Denver, Houston, Baltimore, SF, Cleveland, Carolina, Chicago, Miami, Oakland, NYG, Detroit, Jacksonville, NYJ, Cincy, Washington and Seattle have that the Cowboys don't? They have an offensive line better then all of these teams, a RB better then all these teams, a QB that is better then most of the teams listed, and a WR core that should be able to compete with all of these teams. The only difference is play calling, and coaching.

Dak isn't the issue, Zeke isn't the issue, the offensive line isn't the issue, and our current group of WR we have isn't the issue. Its strictly PLAY CALLING and COACHING. This is a top 15 offense that is being played like a high school team.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Winston/Fitz, Keenum, Flacco, SF QB of week, Mayfield, Newton, Tubisky, Miami QB of week, Carr, Manning, Bortles, Donald, Dalton, and Smith are all better QBs then Prescott? With a better Oline and better weapons at RB and WR?

Our offence should be at least doing much better then all these teams. Why aren't we? Yes some teams may have 1 WR that is better then all of ours. But their RBs and Olines are crap but they are succeeding. Dak isn't the culprit for offence struggles.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Winston/Fitz, Keenum, Flacco, SF QB of week, Mayfield, Newton, Tubisky, Miami QB of week, Carr, Manning, Bortles, Donald, Dalton, and Smith are all better QBs then Prescott? With a better Oline and better weapons at RB and WR?
Newton is better and it's not particularly close.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
But all this hate on Dak is incorrect in my eyes. Sorry.

If there is all this hate on Dak, why isn't there any on Elliott? Hes had a horrible season compared to past seasons!

Dak is the object of the plays called. End of story.

We run the ball 95% of the time on 1st down. Defenses know this.

We do not throw the ball down field at all, stats show it happens less the 1 time a game since Linehan has taken the OC job.

We only threw the ball to Beasley 2 times last game, and it happened with 4 minutes left in the game.

He is our possession receiver that can get you 5+ yards a catch easily. This opens up the entire game both running and down field when you have short threats like Beasley on the team. Linehan is the issue. He really needs to go. Dak isn't the issue. He can be a top 15 QB in this league if the right plays are called at the right time. Linehan and Garrett are putting him, Zeke and this oline in a position to fail.

How does a team like Dallas with the players they have, have 2 weeks to plan for one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL with large holes on their D and LOSE. Something isn't right, and its not the players I'm sorry. Linehan and Garrett need to go.
Beasley only getting the ball twice late in the game isn't on Linehan or Garrett. That's on Dak. Beasley is out there running routes every passing down.

As bad as the coaches are, I don't think a better coach can do much to change how Dak sees the field when he drops back to pass.

Yeah, Zeke isn't having a great season, but he's only a RB. The QB touches the ball every single offensive play. The QB is reading the defense, making adjustments, maybe changing plays, and is the main person responsible for an offense's success. This is a QB driven league. You win or lose based on your QB play.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Our offence should be at least doing much better then all these teams. Why aren't we? Yes some teams may have 1 WR that is better then all of ours. But their RBs and Olines are crap but they are succeeding. Dak isn't the culprit for offence struggles.
Smith, Dalton, and Newton are better. Darnold and Mayfield probably will be. Flacco is about on par. Fitzmagic is probably better. Trubisky is an unknown. Maybe.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Smith, Dalton, and Newton are better. Darnold and Mayfield probably will be. Flacco is about on par. Fitzmagic is probably better. Trubisky is an unknown. Maybe.

lolol fitzmagic is worse, Dak stinks, but fitzpatrick is at best a bridge QB.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
lolol fitzmagic is worse, Dak stinks, but fitzpatrick is at best a bridge QB.
Fitz is better than Dak today. Fitz is probably better than Dak next season. Of course, Fitz is only a bridge QB, but I'd say the same thing about Dak. Either way, you're looking at a QB you'll want to upgrade in the near future.

But I know Jerry sees it differently. Jerry loves that the guy who was his fifth or sixth favorite QB in the draft has turned into his starter. Jerry loves how he thinks Dak being a starter makes him look like a draft genius. So Jerry is going to give Dak an extension to pay him like a top ten QB all while getting bottom third play out of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad