Confirmed with Link: Dallas Claims David Schlemko

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm torn. I was a Schlemko supporter while he was here in Phoenix. I was hoping he would get back to his ability from a couple years back, but it never happened. He makes some bonehead mistakes, but who doesn't? We are all human.

He was fine as a 6 or 7 d. Had stretches when he played much better than that. Too bad he's so inconsistent. Always played great against Edmonton. Didn't dislike him at all. I just questioned our devotion to him when we had so many Dmen in the pipeline.

I wish him the best in Dallas, and it really really sucks that GMDM didn't get a draft pick for him. There had to be a buyer for him.

The fact he went unclaimed on waivers once already suggests not. Clears a bit more salary like the Klinkhammer deal. We need all the flexibility we can get -- new owner or no.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Oilers own OKC. Speculation is that they're going to switch the AHL franchise with their ECHL team in Bakersfield, CA (which seems to be doing very well attendance-wise for the ECHL) to be part of a new western AHL division.

PV Tribune wrote this:
http://pvtrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=62424

Main problem I see is that the Toyota Center (now just the Prescott Event Center) is too small capacity wise for AHL hockey.

1920px-Tims_toyota_center_az.jpg

Less than 4200 for hockey.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
If the Coyotes want to have an AHL team in Arizona, I think Tuscon, might make the most sense as a location, honestly.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If the Coyotes want to have an AHL team in Arizona, I think Tuscon, might make the most sense as a location, honestly.

They just finished renovating the Tucson Convention Center, which has an ice sheet for the Wildcat hockey team. About 5k in seats, 2.5k in bleachers. It might work. Might even help UofA take their hockey program to D1 like ASU.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I will say this, Dallas isn't getting just another scrub. Schlemmer can be surprisingly awesome sometimes. When Yandle went down a couple of seasons ago he really stepped up and showed flashes of a decent offensive defenseman.

I truly hope he finds a consistent game in Dallas. He came into the league the hard way and made a name for himself and I respect that.

That being said, his time in Arizona was done and we needed this as much as he did.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I will say this, Dallas isn't getting just another scrub. Schlemmer can be surprisingly awesome sometimes. When Yandle went down a couple of seasons ago he really stepped up and showed flashes of a decent offensive defenseman.

I truly hope he finds a consistent game in Dallas. He came into the league the hard way and made a name for himself and I respect that.

That being said, his time in Arizona was done and we needed this as much as he did.

Even more impressive, he was undrafted. I love Schlemko, and really do wish him the best. I'm going to miss him on the Coyotes. But damn, he proved hard work pays off.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
This should have happened about 3 years ago, but better late than never, I suppose.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Schlemko wasn't bad when on his game. A couple years ago before he broke his foot, he had 2-3 months where he looked like a solid number 4 type and was a good shot blocker. Still, he mostly played below that level and sometimes didn't look like an NHLer at all. Regardless, thanks to Schlemko for being a depth option.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I second that.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Schlemko was a great undrafted story who made it to the show and made a career of it. He took league minimum for years just to stay in the show and then he got a nice little contract a bit above his performance levels. Our team outgrew the need, but with over 200 NHL games under his belt, Schlemko should have a bit of a career still ahead of him, so best of luck to him (except when he plays the Yotes).

I think Maloney was able to show the opportunity he had provided for Schlemko's career to guys like Miele, Shinnimin, and Gaudet and tell them that our organization gives honest NHL shots to undrafted players if they perform at the AHL level. We've given every single one of those guys their first taste of the NHL. I think that gives Maloney some street cred with the undrafted UFAs. Usually not impact players, but a decent supplement to our drafting program.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Schlemko wasn't bad when on his game. A couple years ago before he broke his foot, he had 2-3 months where he looked like a solid number 4 type and was a good shot blocker. Still, he mostly played below that level and sometimes didn't look like an NHLer at all. Regardless, thanks to Schlemko for being a depth option.

This sums up my thoughts completely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad