Confirmed with Link: Dallas Claims David Schlemko

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've been bipolar about him for a while, but he's pretty much turned into a 3rd pairing LHD who's worth a roster spot in the NHL. He was just completely redundant here. Always sucks to lose someone for nothing but all things considered I can't say I'll miss him.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Fare thee well Schlemko. Despite my general antipathy of you over the years, you were solid enough for your paygrade.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What, no David Schlemko appreciation thread? :P

Ideal 7th D that too frequently made his way into the Top 6. Above average puck-moving skills for a low-tier defenseman. Below average defensive game for a low-tier defenseman. Never brilliant and the occasional brain cramp. Overpaid for a depth D and lost his spot in a numbers game with the likes of Summers and P. Samuelsson coming up.

I wish him well in Dallas.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Takes a spot up that most everyone wants a vet in or saved for a young player. Was good enough when he was here. His only crime was being loved by the coaching staff a little too much

o7

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
His only crime was being loved by the coaching staff a little too much
At worst, this. More likely he held the line until Gormley was ready.

Makes a ton of sense for DAL, who have a couple of still-blue defensive steaks on the grill that apparently aren't quite ready yet.

Stay up, DS6!

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm torn. I was a Schlemko supporter while he was here in Phoenix. I was hoping he would get back to his ability from a couple years back, but it never happened. He makes some bonehead mistakes, but who doesn't? We are all human.

I wish him the best in Dallas, and it really really sucks that GMDM didn't get a draft pick for him. There had to be a buyer for him.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
2 down (Klinkhammer, Schlemko), 5 to go (Chipchura, Korpikoski, Moss*, Crombeen*, Smith)

*are UFA at the end of the season so no big deal to just hold onto them as long as we don't resign them

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
2 down (Klinkhammer, Schlemko), 5 to go (Chipchura, Korpikoski, Moss*, Crombeen*, Smith)

*are UFA at the end of the season so no big deal to just hold onto them as long as we don't resign them

We resigned Moss once, what's to stop us from doing it again? Just get rid of him and hope the team that takes him wants him.

Sadly, Smith with his contract is stuck here forever.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun

In case anyone was hoping to see Klink when we play the Pens, he was traded to Edmonton.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Its funny how so many Edmonton guys (Gagner, Dubs) come here and our old guys go there (Klink, Gordon). I didn't realize Schlemko was from Edmonton, the city not the team, so he has some Oiler blood in him as well.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
He wasn't drafted, he came up through Prescott...

That begs the question, although I know the Sundogs are no more in Prescott, have we had anyone else through that team?

It's such a shame what happened with them. I remember my old college roommate would go home on weekends to Prescott just for Sundogs games. Her family had season tickets. I'm actually surprised it didn't work out, there isn't that much to do in that area. I figured that would be a nice break there. I mean hell, Prescott Valley didn't even get a movie theater until I was in high school. We just got a Walmart not even a year ago.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
14 guys have played for the Sundogs and at least 1 NHL game. Schlemko is the only one that stuck in the NHL after playing with the Sundogs as a prospect. Mike Vernace (24 career NHL games) is the only other guy that played his games with the Sundogs as a prospect before his NHL games. All the other guys played with the Sundogs after the window closed on their prospective NHL careers.

Chipchura also spent a few weeks with the team in 2012-2013 on his regular stint through Tippet's dog house.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Undrafted, Schlemko was signed as a free agent on July 19, 2007, by the Coyotes to a three-year entry level contract and was assigned to the Central Hockey League's Arizona Sundogs where he played 58 games in the '07-08 season and only 1 game for the Rampage!

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?6013

Glazed over hockeydb wrong.

Anaheim is hiring for an AHL position in San Diego. Wonder if the Sun Dogs will be resurrected as an AHL team? https://twitter.com/mayorNHL/status/543543173608247296/photo/1 http://mayorsmanor.com/2014/12/update-where-things-stand-as-nhl-teams-prep-for-ahl-west/

OKC also folded, so that 'shell' might be for sale.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Oilers own OKC. Speculation is that they're going to switch the AHL franchise with their ECHL team in Bakersfield, CA (which seems to be doing very well attendance-wise for the ECHL) to be part of a new western AHL division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad