Speculation: Dale Weise: "I'm not going to lie, I know there's a good chance I'll be traded."

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't think Chucky is the legit #1 C we are looking for, but even if he is, if you move him to center then you have one more hole on the wing. Carr and Andrighetto are no better than Weise and are smaller.

Disagree. Ghetto could be every bit as good as Gallagher or better production wise. Just needs the coaches trust. Ghetto has a level of talent Weise can't even dream about.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I really like what Weise has done with his time in MTL but the reality is the salary cap is not going up so I think Dale might be in tough for a raise.
I'm probably in the minority in this thinking but this last summer guys with more career points were only getting offered PTO.
If I am Dale any team that offers 2-3 year contract I would be signing fast. This is not saying Weise is a bad player I'm just pointing out that the salary cap hurts 3rd and 4th liners because all the big money is going to the star players.

You may be in the minority, but you are correct.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
Ide hate to be in MB's shoes at this critical moment. Hes at a crossroads. Either he sells, status quo or he buys, will be tough calls to make. Its like the 2012 season where everyone wanted us to sell but he decided to keep most everyone and that ended up being the correct call as our record for the next 3 years showed.

Not sure though this time around he should do the same though. Losing Price for sure had a huge impact on the team and he may feel that next year with Price back, we will once again be on top of the league so if hes leaning that way, he might still try to fill in them weak spots on the top 6.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
A couple of things:

Weise's back-to-back career years have come while getting significant offensive opportunities, and despite that, he hasn't really produced much like a reliable top 6 forward. Also, I found he's been quite lucky this season in terms of goals. As such, I'm still very skeptical of his goal scoring prowess. Something like three of his 14 goals have come from him trying to make a pass into the slot area and getting the luckiest of redirections. I mean good for him, but a lot of top 6 minutes and PP time have been invested in his career season, and it still is underwhelming imo...esp considering he had like 8 goals in his first 18 games.

Also, he's bound to get way too much money for a tweener. Given that the cap is going down, you can't get invest too many resources in what is ultimately a replaceable player imo.

Lastly, and most importantly, I wouldn't bring him back so long as Therrien is behind the bunch. The result is an over-usage of Weise at the expense of other players, and I just don't want another DD on our hands. it's not worth it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Trade him at the deadline and bring him back in July if he's willing to sign at a reasonable rate. I wouldn't offer more than 4x2.5M though, and would prefer even less term.

At this point, I am convinced Therrien will be fired come season's end. So I'm less worried about Weise being overutilized.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Disagree. Ghetto could be every bit as good as Gallagher or better production wise. Just needs the coaches trust. Ghetto has a level of talent Weise can't even dream about.

He had coach trust many times this year. He was used often on the top-6 and got mixed results. He still lacks consistency in his overall play. It's not like he given the coach no choice but to keep him there like Gallagher dis when he came up. Anyways. After the trade deadline many youngsters will have the chance to shine. The agenda of the team will change.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Ide hate to be in MB's shoes at this critical moment. Hes at a crossroads. Either he sells, status quo or he buys, will be tough calls to make. Its like the 2012 season where everyone wanted us to sell but he decided to keep most everyone and that ended up being the correct call as our record for the next 3 years showed.

Not sure though this time around he should do the same though. Losing Price for sure had a huge impact on the team and he may feel that next year with Price back, we will once again be on top of the league so if hes leaning that way, he might still try to fill in them weak spots on the top 6.

That is very debatable. Three years later and the roster outside of Carey Price has proven it is a non-playoff team. The other side to your argument is maybe if he sells in 2012 and continues the build, we are in a much better position right now.

But again, that's "second guessing".

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Completely disagree. His decision to keep most of everyone has lead us right to where we are today.
We still don't have a top line center. We are still rolling Plek-DD 4 year into his tenure. We still are missing a top 6 forward. We didn't stock up on draft picks or prospects when he said he wanted to focus on drafting and development.
Bergevin had two options.

Bergevin was either lying or wrong about Price this season. Not sure how it all went down, I find it rather ridiculous that they don't share this information, but they clearly messed up somewhere with Price.
Is he going to do surgery? Did he do one already and hasn't responded well to it? How is he going to rebound whenever he comes back is a complete unknown.
At this point, he needs to sell. Sell a lot, all your upcoming UFAs need to go, and he should really try to unload Markov.
Kaberle brought back a prospect, 1st rd pick, and a conditional pick when he was moved to the Bruins. I'm sure Markov could bring something similar.
Time to do what he should have done right from the start.

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Toronto just got a 2016 4th for Mathias and he has 6 goals,so i guess that means Weise with 14 goals gets two 2nd round picks.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Trade him at the deadline and bring him back in July if he's willing to sign at a reasonable rate. I wouldn't offer more than 4x2.5M though, and would prefer even less term.

At this point, I am convinced Therrien will be fired come season's end. So I'm less worried about Weise being overutilized.

I really don't see Therrien getting fired. If he wasn't already fired, I have no reason to believe he will be. Bergevin loves him, it's kinda weird.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A couple of things:

Weise's back-to-back career years have come while getting significant offensive opportunities, and despite that, he hasn't really produced much like a reliable top 6 forward. Also, I found he's been quite lucky this season in terms of goals. As such, I'm still very skeptical of his goal scoring prowess. Something like three of his 14 goals have come from him trying to make a pass into the slot area and getting the luckiest of redirections. I mean good for him, but a lot of top 6 minutes and PP time have been invested in his career season, and it still is underwhelming imo...esp considering he had like 8 goals in his first 18 games.

Also, he's bound to get way too much money for a tweener. Given that the cap is going down, you can't get invest too many resources in what is ultimately a replaceable player imo.

Lastly, and most importantly, I wouldn't bring him back so long as Therrien is behind the bunch. The result is an over-usage of Weise at the expense of other players, and I just don't want another DD on our hands. it's not worth it.
Can't believe we're talking about building a team that prevents MT from exerting his own incompetence on the lineup... Moreover, I can't believe there's a real possibility of him actually returning. Just shows you what a gongshow this really is.

Can't wait 'til this guy gets the **** out. Bring in Crawford or Boucher or whoever, but just get this clown out of here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergevin working those phones hard. He really cares.

No matter how many phone calls he makes, he's not getting two relatively high picks for Weise. It's either a 2nd or 3rd. If he can pull off both, all the better. Lebrun will keep tabs on how many calls it'll take to get there.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
getting two picks for him, and then resigning him in the offseason sounds like a great idea. If I were MB I'd tell him to enjoy the playoffs, and let Weise know that he was helping re-stock the farm with his sacrifice.

This way he wouldn't even have to move or anything. ... just take a 2-3 month vacation.

Win-win.

Also, I'd sign him for less than 2.5 ... maybe 1.95 mill X 3.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
When the whole team is succesful, and he's playing 3rd/4th line minutes, he's a very entertaining and likeable player. He completely broke Lucic in the playoffs one year, and that was pure awesomeness. That said, it'd probably be best for him to move on and cash in somewhere else.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I really like what Weise has done with his time in MTL but the reality is the salary cap is not going up so I think Dale might be in tough for a raise.
I'm probably in the minority in this thinking but this last summer guys with more career points were only getting offered PTO.
If I am Dale any team that offers 2-3 year contract I would be signing fast. This is not saying Weise is a bad player I'm just pointing out that the salary cap hurts 3rd and 4th liners because all the big money is going to the star players.

I agree player like Weise are going to find it a lot harder to cash in, teams won't be willing to give has much money or term to 3rd line players, especially since at 27-29yo these player aren't improving.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
What is "epic" about a 2nd round draft pick. Many of them never make any kind of mark in the NHL - except PK of course ;)

Because getting a 2nd and a couple years of Dale Weise for Raphael Diaz is absolutely epic.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I love weise but I understand that trading him makes sense for this organization at this point. I think he'd likely want to resign with the habs which would be the dream scenario. I don't want him back if mt stays though since he's miscast.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto

Without rebuidling from scratch, this team stills needs some important changes. Price or not, we saw what kind of team we currently have. Even if we miracously make the playoffs this year, this season should be a warning to Bergevin. Trade away some dead wood, get prospects and draft picks and sign the right UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad