Speculation: Dale Weise: "I'm not going to lie, I know there's a good chance I'll be traded."

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
He had a career year this year and will cash in this summer... probably somewhere around 3.5m x 4y. He's not worth that much.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Then you got up to MB's office and sign at a discount. Dare I say, sign at a BARGAIN BIN price.

That would be dumb of Weise. He's in the prime of his career and about to be a UFA. You have to do whats best for you and your family. If the difference between the Habs and another team is like $250,000 and he loves it here, that's one thing, but Weise should definitely test free agency.

That said, I hope he stays.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I was one of the few that hated the trade at the time but he sure turned out into a nice surprise. Thanks for everything Weise. He's a good hockey player but I would rather trade him also and get a decent draft pick. He deserve a good pay raise and he will get it somewhere else.

Best of luck!

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
If we can get a 2nd for him, it would be epic... still remember when we got him and we all said a collective "who ?". Hope they trade him and get good assets.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Sad for me too. He's an ideal 3rd line winger but he's going to be (rightfully) looking for too much money for the Habs to pay unless we rid ourselves of Emelin.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This.

I'd sign him back and play him with Eller. Solid 3rd line combo

Problem with Weise is.. he's a Desharnais in MT's eyes.

I want Weise back, at a reasonable price, but not if MT is the coach.

Weise is a 3rd liner, nothing more. Yet, routinely used on the PP and the top line.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
He never made proper money in his career. It's not the time for him to take a discount for the sake of it. I completely understand his position. He can easily get 3-3.5 on the market. If we were very close to the Stanley Cup I would have given him this type of money, but since we're not remotely close then I'd stay away and trade him for a 2nd.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Good third liners are still paid around 2.5-3 million in this league. Overpaid ones carry cap hits of 4 mill+. I'd sign him back if his hit was between 1.8-2.4, otherwise we have prospects in need of ice time with hits twice as low.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
If MB can get a 2nd + 4th and then resign him at a decent price that would be some killer asset management.

If we're still planning on winning in the next couple years we're going to need guys like him, he's a great 3rd liner, good in the room and brings it when it matters most, it's not that easy to find guys like him.

He'll probably leave and get the max money he can in the summer though, good for him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Most I'd go is probably a contract similar to what Prust signed a few years back... 2.5M AAV for 4 years.

Someone will probably offer him over 3M a year though.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Weise is a 3rd liner, nothing more. Yet, routinely used on the PP and the top line.

Exaggeration. Weise is 8th in minutes played per game among forwards at just over 14 min. Sixth in PP time.

Power Play minutes this year for forwards:

182 Pacioretty
167 Plekanec
155 Galchenyuk
132 Desharnais
128 Gallagher (but missed 17 games)
93 Weise
46 Eller
38 Fleischmann

Weise is the least regular PP guy of all the regular PP guys, and in fact had more minutes per game while Gallagher was out (natural) and we needed net presence more than ever.

Total Time on Ice for forwards:
1103 Plekanec
1097 Pacioretty
926 Galchenyuk
918 Desharnais
872 Eller
856 Fleischmann
788 Weise
705 Gallagher
646 Flynn
560 Mitchell
512 Byron
476 Smith-Pelley
319 Andrighetto
225 Carr

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

If MT is back, he's the problem. I wouldn't handicap the lineup because of him. MT should be canned regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad