News Article: Dale Purinton charged with burglary upstate, sheriffs say

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Basically he's been arrested. There's a lot of unexplained stuff about this. Why he would want to break into the place?--whether or not he knew the person or people inside?----for instance. Whether he thought some property of his was inside? Could be a lot of things. Personally I'm not always that crazy about cops either. Most are probably good guys--but some aren't and they have a habit of covering up for the bad apples. I remember the Avery thing out in LA. They tried to railroad him. It didn't work and they wound up looking like a bunch of *******s.

Personally I'd rather just talk about Purinton as the hockey player. He kind of sucked but he was interesting.

Apparently, being charged with a crime is enough for the HF Judge and Jury to decide you're a waste of life.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Of course, if someone harmed my mother, I'd want to kill them, and I'd tell you they were the scum of the earth. That wouldn't make killing them justified and it wouldn't necessarily make them the scum of the earth. Emotional responses are just that, emotions.

I don't know how anyone could read the article linked above and decide "this guy is a waste of life." Was the person assaulted your mother? If not, your point is pretty irrelevant.

Hear, hear. :handclap:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Sad to see. Hope he can get his life turned around.

Once a Ranger, always a Ranger. Except for Kamensky and Quintal. **** them.

Quintal I can see but why Kamensky? There were no indications of attitude or off-ice problems while on the team nor anti-Rangers comments afterwards? Yeah, he was a shell of his former self but he wasn't the worst Ranger in this regard and it wasn't like he played better anywhere else after the Rangers.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There are all kind of persons in a game like Hockey. Purinton was one of them. Great in many ways, not so great in others I assume. Always loved him as a player. Gave his all.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He'd get gassed really bad if he got caught out on a shift. He wasn't a horrible skater but he was definitely below average. I can remember the odd occasion when he pk'ed which was in an emergency situation only. OTOH he had a lot of energy went it came to fighting. Pretty much he'd done lots of work on his upper body and not enough on his lower body.

I was looking at some video of him last night. There's an AHL fight where he deliberately head butts this guy who had his arms tied up--three times. The Marquess of Queensbury would have been appalled.

Dale defended his teammates ferociously. Adam Graves used to do the same. Just the idea that somebody's been ****ed with and he's looking for pay back. And it's not just teammates--if you're a fan and you're pissed off at some **** for doing something 'evil' an avenging angel isn't a bad thing to have at least for that point in time. Dale was mean and he could be unpredictable. It's hard to not like somebody like that when he's on your team---at least back in those days it was hard. Now---maybe not so much.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I also remember feeling like I literally didn't know what might happen every time he was on the ice. He was unpredictable to say the least. Maybe he had a grudge against a player from 5 years ago and he'd just start pummeling him behind the play. I miss that guy.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I also remember feeling like I literally didn't know what might happen every time he was on the ice. He was unpredictable to say the least. Maybe he had a grudge against a player from 5 years ago and he'd just start pummeling him behind the play. I miss that guy.

Anyone who watched in the late 60's and pretty much up to the first lockout watched a lot more **** happen to Rangers players than opponents players. If it wasn't the Canadiens lining up John Ferguson against Rod Gilbert it was Dave Schultz kicking the **** out of Rick Middleton off a face-off. I remember Schultz again pounding on a game 5'7 Eddie Johnstone in a bench clearing brawl. That ******* had a habit of looking for mismatches. ****ing ape. I've skipped over the early 70's Bruins teams. They were always beating on us too.

The Rangers had tough guys but the team never matched the aggression of teams like the Flyers, Bruins or even the Islanders in the 80's. The team's around Messier's time were really tough though and we got a lot of respect then. Generally though the Rangers have always been more of a reactive team than a proactive team when it comes to physical play.

And that's one reason you could appreciate Dale. All of a sudden the skate was on the other foot. The closest comparable of another Rangers player would be Tie Domi who was a better skater, player and even tougher than Purinton but not nearly as erratic or unpredictable. Domi might have been the most entertaining Ranger ever though--IMO it's between him and Avery with Barnaby and Tikkanen coming in after. In Purinton's case I think we had the loosest cannon in the league and then it was other fans *****ing and moaning about one of our players.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Ahhh, Dale Purinton. One of the only players in NHL history that can make you look at Tanner Glass and say "Well, it could be worse. He could be Dale Purinton."

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
And that's one reason you could appreciate Dale. All of a sudden the skate was on the other foot. The closest comparable of another Rangers player would be Tie Domi who was a better skater, player and even tougher than Purinton but not nearly as erratic or unpredictable. Domi might have been the most entertaining Ranger ever though--IMO it's between him and Avery with Barnaby and Tikkanen coming in after. In Purinton's case I think we had the loosest cannon in the league and then it was other fans *****ing and moaning about one of our players.

The guy was an awful hockey player. There's nothing to appreciate. Other fans weren't *****ing and moaning about Dale Purinton. I'm pretty sure they couldn't care less. He sucked and so did all the Rangers teams he played on.

Purinton is emblematic of the dark ages. Rangers fans loved guys like Purinton and Sandy McCarthy because the beat downs gave them a minute or two of excitement during what was usually a piss poor effort from our team and a loss. They added absolutely nothing positive to the team in terms of actual hockey results.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
The guy was an awful hockey player. There's nothing to appreciate. Other fans weren't *****ing and moaning about Dale Purinton. I'm pretty sure they couldn't care less. He sucked and so did all the Rangers teams he played on.

Purinton is emblematic of the dark ages. Rangers fans loved guys like Purinton and Sandy McCarthy because the beat downs gave them a minute or two of excitement during what was usually a piss poor effort from our team and a loss. They added absolutely nothing positive to the team in terms of actual hockey results.

I really didn't. That bores me to death.
I was waiting for the good days of Rangers hockey to return during the time you mention.
Dale Purinton is a very vague memory to me. I did not find him interesting.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Add in Langdon...small and would fight ANYBODY . Also possibly best 2nd half fighter ever for Rangers . He fooled a lot of guys...ask Brett Lindros and Chara .

SML

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
People here are so freaking judgemental. The guy isn't Satan. He just wasn't terribly good at NHL hockey. Ironically, he's probably a better player than every poster on this board, and had an NHL career, unlike the rest of you stone throwers. As far as these charges go, you don't know the details. If he's breaking into houses beating people up looking for prescription drugs, ok, he's not the guy you want living next door. If he's the guy who will go knock down a door because some **** bag was peeping Tomming into your kids bedroom, maybe he's not so bad. Let the details come out before you throw the book at him. Judging by that mugshot, it's probably more likely that it's the first case, but you never know. I liked him. Any guy who's willing to go get punched in the face to be an NHL player has guts. He lived the dream on will alone. You could at least respect his desire.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Add in Langdon...small and would fight ANYBODY . Also possibly best 2nd half fighter ever for Rangers . He fooled a lot of guys...ask Brett Lindros and Chara .

Langdon fought a lot of bigger guys but Darren really wasn't that small. He went around 6'1 and 210 lbs. Tie Domi on the other--short but heavy set and George McPhee--just short and not so heavy set were both great fighters. Fighting ruined McPhee's career. He'd won the Hobey Baker--then he clobbered hulking monster Dave Brown--after that he had a rep and got challenged all the time. It ruined his hands. Ron Harris was another guy--played for the Rangers in the 70's--not very big. He didn't fight very often but when he did he was bad news.

Langdon I liked a lot. Not a very good skater in the speed department or a very good player though. Tanner Glass would be a comparable though Glass is a better skater. Darren could take a punch--hang in the fight and wait for the other guy to wear down and then it was his time. Langdon never had knock out power but he did have a short hard jab with some snap to it. Remember seeing him in the AHL when the Rangers team was in Binghamton---big long fight between him and Alex Stojanov. Stojanov was a huge huge monster. The fight went from one end of the ice to the other and then back to the other end again and Langdon was just teeing off on him. Stojanov's head just snapping back the whole time. It had to have lasted at least two whole minutes. The only thing I can think is the refs must have not liked Stojanov because nobody saved him.

Somebody in Rangers scouting had seen Darren playing in a Newfoundland semi-pro league. He was already into his 20's when he signed his first pro contract.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Quintal I can see but why Kamensky? There were no indications of attitude or off-ice problems while on the team nor anti-Rangers comments afterwards? Yeah, he was a shell of his former self but he wasn't the worst Ranger in this regard and it wasn't like he played better anywhere else after the Rangers.

No effort. Selfish player. I'll never forget his flying elbow against the Devils in a crucial game. Kamensky was pretty much my poster boy along with Holik of the dark time. Retirement deals for guys lacking character.

Last edited:

Don Jaroodi*

Apparently, being charged with a crime is enough for the HF Judge and Jury to decide you're a waste of life.

If you break into someone's house and assault someone, you're a waste of life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad