News Article: Dale Purinton charged with burglary upstate, sheriffs say

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Last I heard of him--he was coaching in the BCHL.

Life can be strange.

His dad was a long time enforcer in the minor leagues. Dale didn't fall far at all from the tree. You grow up and everything is always hockey. You see your dad almost on a nightly basis pounding away on somebody's head and/or getting his head pounded on. That I suspect was his role model.

Looks to me anyway like his adjustment to a life without hockey is somewhat problematic.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
He was one hell of a scary guy on the ice. Hate him for being dirty, but he put fear into the other team.

Shame to see this, though. Always seemed like a likable guy but yet another veteran who struggles with life after hockey.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I have a friend who played with him and shared goon duties with him as well in Hartford and he told me that you could not find a nicer guy and he always had your back on the ice and off and that you better not ever cross him cause he was as crazy as a bag of hammers .

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I have a friend who played with him and shared goon duties with him as well in Hartford and he told me that you could not find a nicer guy and he always had your back on the ice and off and that you better not ever cross him cause he was as crazy as a bag of hammers .

That sums up just about everything I've heard as well.

His fight against Jim Cummins was legendary.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He was one hell of a scary guy on the ice. Hate him for being dirty, but he put fear into the other team.

Shame to see this, though. Always seemed like a likable guy but yet another veteran who struggles with life after hockey.

He was amongst the worst Rangers I've ever seen, and thats saying something.

He helped scare the opposing team into winning on most nights.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
He was amongst the worst Rangers I've ever seen, and thats saying something.

He helped scare the opposing team into winning on most nights.

If he's the worst Ranger you've seen...

He wasn't even the worst player on the team most of the years he was here. Those teams were godawful.

Rico Fata, Billy Tibbits, Igor Ulanov, Brad Brown.

Plenty of useless guys filling jerseys in those years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

A lot of people say that fighting doesn't prevent players playing dirty. Having to deal with someone like him though could make you think twice. Purinton could be a very dirty player just on his own but if you took a cheap shot at one of his teammates it was almost like he took it as a personal insult and he could be a lunatic when he was pissed. I remember watching him in one AHL game--a player took a real cheap shot at one of his teammates and headed for his bench. He didn't make it. Purinton cut him down from behind just before he got there and I don't remember exactly how I just remember it was really vicious. I remember thinking 'Holy ****!--did he just do that!' That was one of his suspensions.

Anyway--he was a decent player at the AHL level but an awful NHL player. He wasn't even a great fighter--though he was a willing one--most of the time. Devils, Isles, Flyers posters on these boards absolutely hated him--a lot of Rangers fans didn't like him either (for completely different reasons)--mainly because he really sucked as a player and he took tons of penalties.

The thing about him when he was angry is there didn't seem to be any limitations to what he might do. That's why he was scary as he was.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
If he's the worst Ranger you've seen...

He wasn't even the worst player on the team most of the years he was here. Those teams were godawful.

Rico Fata, Billy Tibbits, Igor Ulanov, Brad Brown.

Plenty of useless guys filling jerseys in those years.

All of those guys were exponentially better than Kamensky as a Ranger.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Never had a problem with Purinton, besides trying to gouge out Colton Orr's eye in preseason.

Definitely contributed to some great Rangers childhood memories. Hope he can pull it together the Rangers will never see a mean SOB like that again.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
All of those guys were exponentially better than Kamensky as a Ranger.

But... he's basically Kovalev... except with a purpose!

#BringBackNeilSmith
#LongLiveTheKamenskyTaylorDaigleLine

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Jesus, a guy does something stupid and he's a worthless human being? Some of you guys are incredibly judgmental. I hope none of you ever have a friend or family member run afoul of the law.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Jesus, a guy does something stupid and he's a worthless human being? Some of you guys are incredibly judgmental. I hope none of you ever have a friend or family member run afoul of the law.

Basically he's been arrested. There's a lot of unexplained stuff about this. Why he would want to break into the place?--whether or not he knew the person or people inside?----for instance. Whether he thought some property of his was inside? Could be a lot of things. Personally I'm not always that crazy about cops either. Most are probably good guys--but some aren't and they have a habit of covering up for the bad apples. I remember the Avery thing out in LA. They tried to railroad him. It didn't work and they wound up looking like a bunch of *******s.

Personally I'd rather just talk about Purinton as the hockey player. He kind of sucked but he was interesting.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Hmm, wonder if you would be saying that if Dale broke in to your mothers house and assaulted her. I'm going to think you wouldn't. Lets think of things from both perspectives shall we?

Doing something stupid is take a ill advised bording penalty with 3 minutes left in a game. Breaking into a house, and physically harming someone inside goes well beyond "stupid".

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hmm, wonder if you would be saying that if Dale broke in to your mothers house and assaulted her. I'm going to think you wouldn't. Lets think of things from both perspectives shall we?

Doing something stupid is take a ill advised bording penalty with 3 minutes left in a game. Breaking into a house, and physically harming someone inside goes well beyond "stupid".

Of course, if someone harmed my mother, I'd want to kill them, and I'd tell you they were the scum of the earth. That wouldn't make killing them justified and it wouldn't necessarily make them the scum of the earth. Emotional responses are just that, emotions.

I don't know how anyone could read the article linked above and decide "this guy is a waste of life." Was the person assaulted your mother? If not, your point is pretty irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad