Confirmed with Link: DAL trades Anders Lindback/Cond. '16 3rd R to BUF for Jhonas Enroth

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Lindback doing better in Buffalo and Enroth doing worse in Dallas would seem to at least take away some credence from the "defense is at fault for bad goal tending" theory. As bad as Dallas has been defensively, there is not a chance is hell that they have been as bad as Buffalo.

But since there is a lot of evidence to the contrary, maybe I'm just being hopeful that the problem is more localized to our goalies and can be fixed, rather than a completely systemic issue.

Also as an aside, good on Lindback for playing well, certainly not what I was expecting.

After Lindback did as much damage to our postseason aspirations as he did, if he then puts McDavid in Edmonton by effing up Bufallo's tank, I will be his number 1 hater.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
After Lindback did as much damage to our postseason aspirations as he did, if he then puts McDavid in Edmonton by effing up Bufallo's tank, I will be his number 1 hater.

:laugh: You would have much competition for that title, as I would anticipate fans from Dallas, Tampa and Buffalo would all be proud to get the prestigious title of Lindback's #1 hater in that scenerio.

Edmonton should really write Lindback a nice check though if he can somehow keep this up.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Edmonton should really write Lindback a nice check though if he can somehow keep this up.
Arizona should. Most Buffalo fans feel that they are the real threat.

Buffalo gives up a lot of shots but when I watch Dallas you guys give up far better scoring chances. It's Lindy Ruff. He's the best coach in the league at creating systems that give up 2 on 1s. How many of your defensemen make bad pinches on a nightly basis? Lindy Ruff. The guy made Tyler Myers into a complete train wreck defensively for 2 seasons by telling him to do more than he was capable of.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Buffalo gives up a lot of shots but when I watch Dallas you guys give up far better scoring chances. It's Lindy Ruff. He's the best coach in the league at creating systems that give up 2 on 1s. How many of your defensemen make bad pinches on a nightly basis? Lindy Ruff. The guy made Tyler Myers into a complete train wreck defensively for 2 seasons by telling him to do more than he was capable of.

I just don't agree with that assessment. Buffalo spends far more time in their own zone, and with extended periods of time being pinned down in their own zone coupled with far more shots against, you will give rise to far more rebounds and situations with broken down defensive assignments. Buffalo also spends more time penalty killing then the Stars do which is another high risk situation that is tough on goalies. Goals resulting from getting pinned down in the zone, rebounds and goals against on the penalty kill are far more prevalent in the NHL than goals which resulted from turnovers.

The Stars do give up a lot of turnovers I'll give you that, but that was never really Lindback's problem here. Lindback's issue was that he would give up easy goals not just off turnovers, but in literally every situation. Every single shot was a problem it didn't matter if it was a breakaway from a star player or a weak wrist shot from 4th line grinder, Lindback misplayed them all the same. With goalies like that, the volume of shots is the primary concern and that is something that Buffalo far eclipses Dallas on.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Arizona should. Most Buffalo fans feel that they are the real threat.

From now on when somebody asks me a question that has a number for an answer, I'm going to say "Lindy Ruff."

How many dozens in a gross? Lindy Ruff.

Bps21*

I just don't agree with that assessment. Buffalo spends far more time in their own zone, and with extended periods of time being pinned down in their own zone coupled with far more shots against, you will give rise to far more rebounds and situations with broken down defensive assignments. Buffalo also spends more time penalty killing then the Stars do which is another high risk situation that is tough on goalies. Goals resulting from getting pinned down in the zone, rebounds and goals against on the penalty kill are far more prevalent in the NHL than goals which resulted from turnovers.

The Stars do give up a lot of turnovers I'll give you that, but that was never really Lindback's problem here. Lindback's issue was that he would give up easy goals not just off turnovers, but in literally every situation. Every single shot was a problem it didn't matter if it was a breakaway from a star player or a weak wrist shot from 4th line grinder, Lindback misplayed them all the same. With goalies like that, the volume of shots is the primary concern and that is something that Buffalo far eclipses Dallas on.

Buffalo almost never gives up odd man rushes anymore. Their D is good. The other team having the puck all the time is a product of having terrible forwards. The lack of quality shots in that quantity is a product of good defense. I just never see dangerous shots against anymore. It would be one thing if it was just ENROTH did better here...but Lindback too? I mean...

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Buffalo almost never gives up odd man rushes anymore. Their D is good. The other team having the puck all the time is a product of having terrible forwards. The lack of quality shots in that quantity is a product of good defense. I just never see dangerous shots against anymore. It would be one thing if it was just ENROTH did better here...but Lindback too? I mean...

I never said they gave up odd man rushes, in fact I know it’s quite the contrary. In order to give up odd man rushes you must first have the puck in either the neutral zone or the offensive zone. Buffalo has the puck in the neutral and offensive zones less than any other team in the NHL so of course they don’t give up many odd man rushes, that’s just logic.

They don’t have a lack of quality shots against in fact it’s literally the opposite. The Buffalo Sabres give up the most scoring chances in the entire NHL, and they give up the most shots in high risk areas in the entire NHL (ie. directly in front of the net). The only team in the NHL that is even close to as bad Buffalo is in these categories are the Leafs. Every single other team in the NHL utterly eviscerates Buffalo in these categories, including the Dallas Stars. Which is really saying something because I fully admit the Dallas Stars’ D isn’t good (but better than Buffalo as the evidence indicates). I know scoring chances lack strict standardization, but the gap is absolutely massive and far more than any reasonable range of error could make up for. If you never see dangerous shots against anymore then you either haven’t been paying attention or you’re completely desensitised due to playing the entire game is such short proximity to your own net.

You’re using just a two man sample size in a very small amount of games to try to prove your point, really? Surely you can think of something better than that for your final point. But if you’re so insistent upon using small sample sizes to prove a point, than how do you explain Michael Neuvirth? His save percentage went from .918 in Buffalo to .882 on the Islanders, surely you can’t think Buffalo’s D is better than the NYI’s as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad