Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Denis Gurianov re-signs with the Stars (2 years, $2.55M AAV)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Gaudette could have gotten more if he showed up for the playoffs like Gurianov. Also 1 vs. 2 years. Comical response.

0 points in 10 games is definitely not a good look for Gaudette but he still had the better regular season. Gurianov also struggled later in the playoffs himself, 2 points in the last 11 games with both points in 1 game. 2 years over 1 year does make a little difference but not 1.6M, the Gaudette deal is a much better deal, it's comical to think otherwise.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
He put up decent points but he also had 10 of those points in 3 games. The other 24 he had just 7. I'm not a Canucks fan so not sure how Gaudette played, I know he had 0 points. But paying based on a playoff run isn't always ideal. Gurianov finally put it together but it's still just one good year for him so I think 2.55M is a bit much.
Gaudette is just not a comparable player. He had 28 goals against at even strength, resulting in his -7, despite only playing 12 minutes a game. His Goals Against per 60 was 3.4, which is the highest on the team except for Quinn Hughes and Bo Horvat. He has 60% offensive zone faceoffs but 46% CF, with roughly a -2% CF Rel. So most shifts he is starting in the offensive zone and yet still finding a way to let the puck get into his zone and get launched at his net. Maybe a part of that is that he won 41% of faceoffs. And obviously from all the above stats, he did not and was unable to play a single shift on the PK. As a result he was healthy scratched in I believe 10 regular season games and 7 playoff games. And played in the AHL for two games where he also had a negative plus-minus. That's before even getting into his playoff performance, where his offense was non-existent.

Guri is far from an elite defensive talent, he's still developing in his own end. But they are not even close in that end. Gurianov is competent but could be better. Gaudette is a liability, and gets benched by his own coach as a result.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
0 points in 10 games is definitely not a good look for Gaudette but he still had the better regular season. Gurianov also struggled later in the playoffs himself, 2 points in the last 11 games with both points in 1 game. 2 years over 1 year does make a little difference but not 1.6M, the Gaudette deal is a much better deal, it's comical to think otherwise.

Better regular season based on opening up Eliteprospects and looking at the point totals?

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Think it's an overpay. In a sense 2.55M for a 20 goal scorer isn't but with what some other RFA's got i think it is. Gaudette was a 2015 pick as well who just finished his ELC. He has played more pro games than Gurianov with both having roughly the same ppg 0.37 Gaudette and 0.38 Gurianov. Gaudette also outproduced Gurianov this year. It's similar to Virtanen but Virtanen already had a lower bridge before his current deal. Gurianov had a great playoffs so you could factor that in but think they could've got him a little cheaper.

It's a pretty fair deal for a guy who likely hits 20 goals again based on his shot alone, not to mention his speed as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see 30 out of Gurianov this season assuming not everyone on the Stars has a career worst year again. They're paying him $2.55m to score goals, something he does better than most of the other RFAs. Think most teams would pay the same if he was their leading goal scorer and had a good first 3 rounds of the playoffs. Could also say it's the effect of scoring an OT goal that sends the team to the Stanley Cup Finals on top of a 4 goal game to eliminate Calgary, or 8 points in 7 games vs Colorado. Either way, it's not hard to see why he got more than Gaudette.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Definite breakout candidate next year. This will look like a bargain bridge deal by the end of the season. He's always had the talent...easy to sleep on because the Stars have taken things very slowly with him. But the playoffs were a timely reminder.

Reactions: Ginger Papa
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Man, what a difference a single season can make. He goes from getting sent back down to the AHL and looking very much like a bust at the start of the season, to being a 20 goal scorer and playoff performer.

Can't wait to see how he follows it up next season.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not a DAL fan but live in the TV market and watch a good number of Stars games. He's a promising player with size, speed, a nice shot and at times looked like there was more potential to unlock. This seems like a good value contract and if he takes another step to be a 30 goal guy he can get paid accordingly in two years. I think he and Hintz will be excellent players for DAL going forward that are somewhat under the radar.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Think it's an overpay. In a sense 2.55M for a 20 goal scorer isn't but with what some other RFA's got i think it is. Gaudette was a 2015 pick as well who just finished his ELC. He has played more pro games than Gurianov with both having roughly the same ppg 0.37 Gaudette and 0.38 Gurianov. Gaudette also outproduced Gurianov this year. It's similar to Virtanen but Virtanen already had a lower bridge before his current deal. Gurianov had a great playoffs so you could factor that in but think they could've got him a little cheaper.

Gaudette is meh. He puts up points same way Kevin Labanc does, without doing anything memorable or creating along the way. He's like Goldobin if Goldobin was a little more capable of hanging in the NHL and had NA bias working for him. Gurianov is a líne driver or on his way to being one.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKarchitect

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Dang, that is a sweet contract. I thought him and Pavelski were the best forwards against us in that series. He really signed a team friendly deal. I would have thought 4M would be fair.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

Just because Gaudette was a good deal (he had no leverage btw) doesn't mean Gurianov wasn't also a good deal

There's a reason why more than one comparable is used; and the two players aren't really comparable to begin with imo

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Just because Gaudette was a good deal (he had no leverage btw) doesn't mean Gurianov wasn't also a good deal

There's a reason why more than one comparable is used; and the two players aren't really comparable to begin with imo

What leverage did Gurianov have over Gaudette? Neither was arbitration eligible. I don't think the Gurianov deal is bad i think it's good but compared to the Gaudette deal it isn't. Even if Gurianov doesn't improve at all and has the same numbers next year the money is fine but if Gaudette has the same production next year the deal is a steal.

Those saying Gurianov is that much better is he really? Guadette had more ES points 21 to 17, better p/60, better takeaways to givaways. Gurianov is the better goal scorer and is more physical, neither is great defensively with Gurianov being better. I just like the Gaudette deal better and think Dallas could have gotten him for less than what they did.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
If we put a poll up for Gurianov or Gaudette i think we know how skewed the results would be.

Unsure why they are comparable given what we saw ffom Gurianov this season AND in the playoffs.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
What leverage did Gurianov have over Gaudette? Neither was arbitration eligible. I don't think the Gurianov deal is bad i think it's good but compared to the Gaudette deal it isn't. Even if Gurianov doesn't improve at all and has the same numbers next year the money is fine but if Gaudette has the same production next year the deal is a steal.

Those saying Gurianov is that much better is he really? Guadette had more ES points 21 to 17, better p/60, better takeaways to givaways. Gurianov is the better goal scorer and is more physical, neither is great defensively with Gurianov being better. I just like the Gaudette deal better and think Dallas could have gotten him for less than what they did.
I mean, Denis led the Stars in goals during the regular season. It may have "only" been 20 goals, but he still led the team. I'd call that leverage, no?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I mean, Denis led the Stars in goals during the regular season. It may have "only" been 20 goals, but he still led the team. I'd call that leverage, no?

What Crocoduck said. 100%. Gurianov brought and has the single most important skill that most of the Stars players weren't able to last season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Gaudette is not a good player and his contract shows that.

Gurianov was pretty good but still has some big question marks, hence this bridge contract. He'd have gotten more if we weren't in the current situation and the Stars weren't pressed against the cap.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Gurianov is tantalizing but not there yet. Still plenty of time to get there and wouldn’t be surprised if this next season was his coming out party after gaining all the playoff experience. Dallas is my “second team” since I’m a New Yorker living walking distance of the Stars stadium. Gurianov will certainly be worth this little bridge deal. If he comes to play these two years will be a steal, if not, he’s not heavily paid.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
This kid if given enough icetime next season in my mind can be a 30 goal 20 assist player. If you are getting that for this price than this is one of the better contracts in the league. 50 point player for that price is solid especially for a team not swimming in cap space.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Gurianov can flee to Russia and get paid. That'e better leverage than arbitration imo.
Idk why he is being compared to Gaudette at all here. Totally different players.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Gurianov is the real deal, I would’ve tried to lock him up long term before he gets more ice time and gets really expensive

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Guri will get more playing time with Seguin out for a while. Hopefully Bowness will continue to open up the offense.

Think Seguin might still be out for a fair chunk of next season, recovering from surgery (or surgeries). Not sure how the roster shakes out, but I'd definitely be up for Guri getting top line minutes, see how he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad