Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Denis Gurianov re-signs with the Stars (2 years, $2.55M AAV)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I like it. Good chance he’ll heavily over perform this contract, but I’ll take the two year bargain while trying to contend

Reactions: My3Sons

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
His bridge deal ends when Pavelski’s 7 million AAV and Radulov’s 6.25 million come off the books.

This has been a Jim Nill staple throughout his tenure. Always setting up bridge contracts of players he might have to pay big to expire at the same time of the biggest money deals on the team. Nill’s cap management has been one of his best traits as GM.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Think it's an overpay. In a sense 2.55M for a 20 goal scorer isn't but with what some other RFA's got i think it is. Gaudette was a 2015 pick as well who just finished his ELC. He has played more pro games than Gurianov with both having roughly the same ppg 0.37 Gaudette and 0.38 Gurianov. Gaudette also outproduced Gurianov this year. It's similar to Virtanen but Virtanen already had a lower bridge before his current deal. Gurianov had a great playoffs so you could factor that in but think they could've got him a little cheaper.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
What a deal for the Stars. This dude is legit. Could be a perennial 30 goal scorer this decade if things go his way.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Think it's an overpay. In a sense 2.55M for a 20 goal scorer isn't but with what some other RFA's got i think it is. Gaudette was a 2015 pick as well who just finished his ELC. He has played more pro games than Gurianov with both having roughly the same ppg 0.37 Gaudette and 0.38 Gurianov. Gaudette also outproduced Gurianov this year. It's similar to Virtanen but Virtanen already had a lower bridge before his current deal. Gurianov had a great playoffs so you could factor that in but think they could've got him a little cheaper.

Playoff production got Gurianov more money. Gaudette did absolutely nothing in the playoffs Virtanen very little. Gurianiv had pretty good playoffs outside of the finals.

Reactions: Morrison

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Playoff production got Gurianov more money. Gaudette did absolutely nothing in the playoffs Virtanen very little. Gurianiv had pretty good playoffs outside of the finals.
I feel like the same 2 posters are going to every RFA signing thread to say "this is an overpay because Gaudette..." The same guy went to the Tampa thread to say Cirelli actually should be 1M AAV because look Gaudette. And I'm sure if I dig I'll find it in the Virtanen thread too.

First of all it's dumb because market rate isn't determined by the lowest number, it's determined by the median of the numbers.

Secondly, Gaudette isn't good. There's a reason he was scratched for a number of games in the playoffs, and in the regular season. Not good defensively, doesn't win pucks, not a good bottom 6 player and Vancouver was very reluctant to play him any higher. The definition of a glass cannon. The fact that he also got shut down offensively by playoff defenses only makes things worse.

Reactions: CanuckCity

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Gaudette could have gotten more if he showed up for the playoffs like Gurianov. Also 1 vs. 2 years. Comical response.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

He put up decent points but he also had 10 of those points in 3 games. The other 24 he had just 7. I'm not a Canucks fan so not sure how Gaudette played, I know he had 0 points. But paying based on a playoff run isn't always ideal. Gurianov finally put it together but it's still just one good year for him so I think 2.55M is a bit much.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Gaudette could have gotten more if he showed up for the playoffs like Gurianov. Also 1 vs. 2 years. Comical response.

Gaudette had no trust from Travis Green as #3 C, given how the team was going up against bigger and tougher checking teams they wanted Sutter in for draws and defensive play, also to free up Horvat and Pettersson from defensive responsibilities. Doubt Adam's play in the playoffs helped his case, while I bet Nill wanted to reward Denis for his playoff heroics (even though he doesn't have arbitration rights).

If anything, I feel like if Gaudette took off next year in an offensive role he would probably use this and Virtanen's contracts as comparables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad