New York Islanders: Dal Colle signs a two year deal; Ho-Sang signs a one year deal

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The stars are aligning for Ho-Sang to make the team. What an opportunity he has. The need for a top 6 scorer remains. A hole up front created by Filppula's departure also remains. He can't be sent down... If he screws this up, man, it's ALL on him.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I don't think there's a lock at all. Assuming that Clutterbuck isn't really right to start the year (which I don't expect he will be) there will be a spot. But if he has a camp like last year's he's a goner IMO.
I guess we'll see. But if it comes down to the final roster spot and its between Ross Johnston, Tom Kuhnackl and JHS, I'm guessing RJ gets waived first and - unless JHS is a total and complete disaster - Kuhnackl gets waived next. There's not much of a chance that another team takes RJ and Kuhnackl....? Probably unlikely, but I guess there's a chance. Either way, it probably won't come down to that because, at minimum, Ladd is likely to be IR'd to start which frees up another roster spot.

Right now, if we include JHS and Tanner Fritz, we have 16 forwards. Figure Ladd is IR'd and RJ is sent down - that gets us to 14. If we find another #4C, Fritz will be sent down as well.

Just from an asset management perspective, I think you need to hold on to JHS for a lil while longer. Waiving him pretty much assures that he's a goner. Considering his upside (however remote it may be that its actually reached), you'd think the team would want to hang on to him a little longer.

Is MDC still waiver exempt? Can't remember.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I guess we'll see. But if it comes down to the final roster spot and its between Ross Johnston, Tom Kuhnackl and JHS, I'm guessing RJ gets waived first and - unless JHS is a total and complete disaster - Kuhnackl gets waived next. There's not much of a chance that another team takes RJ and Kuhnackl....? Probably unlikely, but I guess there's a chance. Either way, it probably won't come down to that because, at minimum, Ladd is likely to be IR'd to start which frees up another roster spot.

Right now, if we include JHS and Tanner Fritz, we have 16 forwards. Figure Ladd is IR'd and RJ is sent down - that gets us to 14. If we find another #4C, Fritz will be sent down as well.

Just from an asset management perspective, I think you need to hold on to JHS for a lil while longer. Waiving him pretty much assures that he's a goner. Considering his upside (however remote it may be that its actually reached), you'd think the team would want to hang on to him a little longer.

Ho-Sang and Dal Colle would both need to clear waivers if they're sent down. There's the period at the start of the season where every team is trimming their roster and waiving guys, which is usually the only time that some "quality" players make it through. If Ho-Sang doesn't make it and is sent down, that's the only chance of him not being claimed and I think there's still a really good chance he would be.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Islanders sign Josh Ho-Sang, Michael Dal Colle

"According to CapFriendly, Dal Colle got a one-way contract worth $700,000 per year, while Ho-Sang got a two-way deal, which pays him $874,125 if he plays in the NHL and $70,000 if he is in the minor leagues"

According to Capfriendly, ho sangs contract is a 2 way contract. So that means he doesn't have to clear waivers? Can anyone clear this up?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

If JHS doesn't make the team out of camp given his competition, I fail to see how he's an asset.

Idk, but the 2 year 1-way deal says to me that Dal Colle is in a much more secure spot to make the team.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Islanders sign Josh Ho-Sang, Michael Dal Colle

"According to CapFriendly, Dal Colle got a one-way contract worth $700,000 per year, while Ho-Sang got a two-way deal, which pays him $874,125 if he plays in the NHL and $70,000 if he is in the minor leagues"

According to Capfriendly, ho sangs contract is a 2 way contract. So that means he doesn't have to clear waivers? Can anyone clear this up?
One has nothing to do with the other. He has to clear waivers in order to be sent down to Bridgeport. Once he's in the minors, he gets paid his AHL salary. But he still will have to be passed over by every other team in the league.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If JHS doesn't make the team out of camp given his competition, I fail to see how he's an asset.
Agreed - if the team waives him, they obviously don't think he's an asset. Or a viable one at least. Being that I don't think that they will do that, I believe he is - and that the team thinks so as well - still an asset. How valuable of one? I dunno at this point.

JMO, he has to have another off ice incident (over sleeping, etc.) or something else negative of note, to not make the team. If his play is just mediocre, they'll stick with him for the time being. Especially as they'll probably have the IR flexibility - at least to start the season.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
One has nothing to do with the other. He has to clear waivers in order to be sent down to Bridgeport. Once he's in the minors, he gets paid his AHL salary. But he still will have to past over by every other team in the league.

Got it. Thanks.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Islanders sign Josh Ho-Sang, Michael Dal Colle

It's cleared up in the post just before the one you posted. Two-way contracts have no impact on waiver eligibility, only the amount of money they are going to make in each league.

Reactions: DalGoal4Cups

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Ho-Sang and Dal Colle would both need to clear waivers if they're sent down. There's the period at the start of the season where every team is trimming their roster and waiving guys, which is usually the only time that some "quality" players make it through. If Ho-Sang doesn't make it and is sent down, that's the only chance of him not being claimed and I think there's still a really good chance he would be.
Tom Kuhnackl falls through that crack. Josh Ho-Sang doesn't. There's gotta be some team that's craving some talent upfront who thinks they can somehow connect with the kid and make him a contributor. A Buffalo, an Arizona or any number of other teams would give it a shot. There's no real downside for them, other than having to create the roster spot.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tom Kuhnackl falls through that crack. Josh Ho-Sang doesn't. There's gotta be some team that's craving some talent upfront who thinks they can somehow connect with the kid and make him a contributor. A Buffalo, an Arizona or any number of other teams would give it a shot. There's no real downside for them, other than having to create the roster spot.

I agree with you. One of those teams will be desperate for a cheap and talented player they can take a chance on.

Reactions: crasherino

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I agree with you. One of those teams will be desperate for a cheap and talented player they can take a chance on.

There's not much of a chance that another team takes RJ and Kuhnackl....?

I would bet my car that Johnston wouldn't get claimed. That's why he has a contract that pays him a one-way million dollar salary. This way he can be moved back and forth without a concern about him getting claimed.

Reactions: crasherino

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002

Based on the preference order:
Ottawa - takes JHS
LA - takes JHS
NJ - takes JHS
Detroit - takes JHS
Buffalo - takes JHS
Rags - takes JHS
Oilers - takes JHS

No chance he doesn't get claimed. If Edmonton got him and put him on McDavid's wing, it would be nuts.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Agreed - if the team waives him, they obviously don't think he's an asset. Or a viable one at least. Being that I don't think that they will do that, I believe he is - and that the team thinks so as well - still an asset. How valuable of one? I dunno at this point.

JMO, he has to have another off ice incident (over sleeping, etc.) or something else negative of note, to not make the team. If his play is just mediocre, they'll stick with him for the time being. Especially as they'll probably have the IR flexibility - at least to start the season.
Yeah I agree. It's pretty much Ho-Sang's spot to lose at this point.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I would bet my car that Johnston wouldn't get claimed. That's why he has a contract that pays him a one-way million dollar salary. This way he can be moved back and forth without a concern about him getting claimed.

Yep, that's why that particular move was actually a good one. It's long term, but absolutely zero risk but money.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
5 deflections, 3 hit him in the butt, but where in heck is he getting the other 7 from?

While playing on the 3rd line with brick hands uncle leo. MDC played 2 games in a top 6 roll and had 1 min total of PP time.

Here are the highlights of all his offense from last season AHL/NHL.
To say he can't get 15 goals next year is just ridiculous.

AHL 34games Played 18goals 16Assists 34 Total points was an AHL all star. (top line and PP minutes, 3 on 3 OT as well)

NHL: 28GPs: 3goals 4A 7Points (3rd line minutes mainly with brick hands uncle leo on the NHLS most defensive minded team with struggling offense).

To say he can't score 15 goals next season is crazy. Than to discredit his goals in the NHL last year "Oh they went off his butt". I guess Anders Lee and Mark Parrish are / were cans. They make a living in front of the net with clean up goals.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
My only real hope at the moment is that Ho-Sang isn't simply lost on waivers along the way... for nothing.

This franchise always finds ways to see guys leave... for nothing.

Oh please. Ho-Sang has zero value because of him and him alone. If he leaves for nothing it's not because of the franchise. In fact I'll bet my house that they tried to trade him more than once since Lou took over and couldn't even get a middle round pick for him.

One more year, apparently.

Ah, but will you be saying the same thing in 2028?

JHS signing his QO is the only way this was going to happen. He now sets himself up to either make the team or move on by being claimed at his low salary. Either way, it works for him.

Or...

Work your ass off, listen your coaches, and be a good teammate for the first few years of your career and then get a much more lucrative long-term deal like the one Barzal is going to get next summer.

Thinking that it's "working out" for Ho-Sang by him having to take the absolute minimum amount of money and term he's required to get at this point in his career is seeing it completely backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Based on the preference order:
Ottawa - takes JHS
LA - takes JHS
NJ - takes JHS
Detroit - takes JHS
Buffalo - takes JHS
Rags - takes JHS
Oilers - takes JHS

No chance he doesn't get claimed. If Edmonton got him and put him on McDavid's wing, it would be nuts.

giphy.gif

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
No chance he'd clear waivers.

That's what everyone says about every Tom, Dick and Harry that get's put on waivers. Yet, it's always the Tanner Glass or some boob that gets claimed while dozens of 23 year old might have beens get passed on.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
That's what everyone says about every Tom, Dick and Harry that get's put on waivers. Yet, it's always the Tanner Glass or some boob that gets claimed while dozens of 23 year old might have beens get passed on.

I'd be willing to make a sizable wager he doesn't play another game for the Sound Tigers.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Work your ass off, listen your coaches, and be a good teammate for the first few years of your career and then get a much more lucrative long-term deal like the one Barzal is going to get next summer.

I think that ship has sailed, so that's why I view this as working out for him now, since that's his only real option (other than hightailing it for the KHL).

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
It's cleared up in the post just before the one you posted. Two-way contracts have no impact on waiver eligibility, only the amount of money they are going to make in each league.

Ha ha ha ha aha ha aaaa hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaahahahaaaahahaahahahahahahaahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahaha .

You are so very funny . It's no surprise you won the vote . (Wink)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad