Confirmed Trade: [DAL/CGY/NJD] Chris Tanev (75% retained), Cole Brady to DAL; 2024 2nd, 2026 cond. 3rd, Artem Grushnikov to CGY; 2026 4th to NJD

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I don't disagree. I just hadn't seen him before so I had no idea what he was. One game is just an initial impression. I also thought Zary would never be anything more than a 3rd liner. Development isn't linear and guys sometimes take big development leaps.

Ya I mean at his age Chris Tanev was playing for the Rochester Institute of Technology. Defense first dmen often have a bit of a strange path to the NHL. Predictive models like Baders don't like them because they're based almost entirely on production.

The 2024 draft is supposed to be a good one for defenseman as well. Maybe Conroy is thinking he might be able to grab some nice upside fwds who slip because teams are drafting dmen after having already picked up some blueline prospects in trade.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's 20 years old lol

Might want to give it more than 1 game with a brand new team to conclude anything.
I've watch 4 games with Grush now, his last 2 with Texas and first 2 with the Wranglers and I'm pretty happy with what I've seen. He's smart, skates well and he's physical. I did notice a slight change between he Stars and Wranglers though... with Texas every breakout was a smart, safe pass. In 2 games with Calgary, I've seen him try and make several longer, high reward passes,

Of course, it can't be emphasized enough that it's just 2 games with each team so it could be a coincidence. But my get tells me when you go to a new team, you'd be more cautious, not less, so I can't help but wonder if they immediately encouraged him to take more risks offensively.

Reactions: Larry44

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Finally made it with the team.

GH8uqXubwAAA2GO

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Of course, it can't be emphasized enough that it's just 2 games with each team so it could be a coincidence. But my get tells me when you go to a new team, you'd be more cautious, not less, so I can't help but wonder if they immediately encouraged him to take more risks offensively.

You could be right. I think also new players sometimes try to do too much, try to make an impactful impression. I'm sure once he settles in he'll be back to his normal game.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Watching the game tonight. Man Suter and Hakanpaa look terrible. You guys could use Hanifin too.

Reactions: piqued

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You could be right. I think also new players sometimes try to do too much, try to make an impactful impression. I'm sure once he settles in he'll be back to his normal game.
I have to watch tonight's game still, I've only scoreboard watched so far but his pairing was the only not to be on the ice for a goal against, but he did take his first penalty as a Wrangler. I'll post comment son our board in teh Wranglers thread after, or maybe while I watch it.

Reactions: Mitts

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hakanpaa was quite good in the series against us. What the heck happened to him? He skates like me now.
I have a picture of me in the paper when I was like grade 4 holding a bar to keep myself up and my ankles touching the ground pretty much.

He skates like me. :sarcasm:

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I have to watch tonight's game still, I've only scoreboard watched so far but his pairing was the only not to be on the ice for a goal against, but he did take his first penalty as a Wrangler. I'll post comment son our board in teh Wranglers thread after, or maybe while I watch it.
Look forward to reading your post.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Thought Tanev was solid last night, or at least as good as one could expect after an annoyingly lengthy delay prolonged by red tape and white snow that saw him arrive in Cali late yesterday and barely have time to meet his new teammates before puck drop. :laugh:

Still not sure what's going on with Oettinger.

Does this mean Suter will spend time in the press box?

If only.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
With other contenders powering up, could Calgary have held out for more? There is definitely more desperation in the air atm and I'm curious if we could have parted Toronto from their first

Bond

May 10, 2012
With other contenders powering up, could Calgary have held out for more? There is definitely more desperation in the air atm and I'm curious if we could have parted Toronto from their first
Tre had never given up a 1st for a rental. I don’t think Tanev would have been it

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
No salary burden and they still get a 2nd+3rd+prospect.
Johansen ended up being available on waivers anyway. Calgary played that right.

Reactions: HitterD and piqued

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
No salary burden and they still get a 2nd+3rd+prospect.
Johansen ended up being available on waivers anyway. Calgary played that right.
That third is super unlikely to happen, so it all comes down to how high on Grushnikov one is. It's not like Johansen's contract is that long, and that's potentially someone they could have flipped next year.

He does seem like bad vibes though, so I can understand being put off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad