Confirmed Trade: [DAL/CGY/NJD] Chris Tanev (75% retained), Cole Brady to DAL; 2024 2nd, 2026 cond. 3rd, Artem Grushnikov to CGY; 2026 4th to NJD

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Has it ever happened where a team trades a FA late in the year, and then re-signs him just a few months later?

Antoine Vermette was traded from the Coyotes to the Blackhawks in 2015, won a cup with them, and then re-signed with Arizona on July 1st.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If it doesn't make sense, that might be a signal the team still wants to try and be competitive next season and doesn't want to take on a cap-dump. Either way bad move if true imo.
? The Flames consistent in saying they're not going to tank next year. They're not going to be competitive but that doesn't mean they're going to out right suck either. Whether fans accept it or not, so long as Kadri, Backlund, Coleman, Andersson, Weegar, Zary, etc. are on the roster, they simply can't out suck the Blackhawks/Blue Jackets/Sabres/Ducks/Sharks of the league.

There's also an opportunity cost associated with doing a rival franchise a tremendous favour by taking on their cap dump for free. It's 3.25M in dead space for a third pairing defenceman when the Flames already have Andersson-Weegar-Pachal filling those roles.

For whatever reason, the Flames are high on Grushnikov. Seems odd but if there's one strength in the organization, it's their amateur scouting. So I'll take that and the 2nd while giving Tanev a real chance to win it all over a late first that's attached to a negative asset.

Right shot veteran d always have some value, Ceci could have been flipped for a 3rd or 4th round pick at the draft. Conroy blew it if he rejected a free 1st out of spite.

Well in that case, this just seems like a win-win. Since Ceci is so valuable, the Oilers are entirely free to trade him themselves and reap the "rewards." No doubt they'll be able to flip those "rewards" to upgrade on Ceci. And no need for the Flames to do the Oilers any favors or for the Oilers to give up their first because after all, they really need it to draft the next Yammamoto/Holloway/Bourgault/Schaefer. Seems like everyone should be happy with the way things turned out, especially Oilers fans.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I love Oiler fans in here pumping Ceci's tires. ... trying to persuade everyone that he has good value and is not a cap dump this year and the next.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
so Edmonton was offering a 1st + Ceci, and people think they GMs don’t snub divisional rivals :laugh:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
so Edmonton was offering a 1st + Ceci, and people think they GMs don’t snub divisional rivals :laugh:

I mean, they got a second and a prospect they like, who was also a second vs a first and a cap dump.

Also Tanev said in his comments he felt Dallas was his best shot at winning ( which he probably would of said for whichever team he ended up, but still ) so he could of blocked Edmonton for all we know

It's not like calgary took a 3rd from Dallas and turned down a first. Pretty good return from Dallas

Reactions: piqued and Lunatik

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I mean, they got a second and a prospect they like, who was also a second vs a first and a cap dump.

Also Tanev said in his comments he felt Dallas was his best shot at winning ( which he probably would of said for whichever team he ended up, but still ) so he could of blocked Edmonton for all we know

It's not like calgary took a 3rd from Dallas and turned down a first. Pretty good return from Dallas
was still a great return for Tanev

Reactions: Magic Mittens

GossomeRwing

Aug 6, 2005
I am sorry to ask but I must have missed something. I thought that only 50% of a player's salary could be retained, did they change the rule recently? I had never seen 75% retention and this year there are 2 trades with 75% retention Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am sorry to ask but I must have missed something. I thought that only 50% of a player's salary could be retained, did they change the rule recently? I had never seen 75% retention and this year there are 2 trades with 75% retention Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.
75% has always been allowed when 2 teams retain. This was a 3-way trade, Calgary retained 50% and traded him to New Jersey, who retained half of the remaining 50% and traded him to Dallas.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
A team can only retain up to 50% on a player, but multiple teams can retain on a single player.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm surprised the Devil's took on salary for a 4th round pick here.
Why? They were in a position to utilize cap space. This draft has a lot of players who can fall down from the mid round, to even the late end and early 3rd round players. I know a lot of media think this isn't a great draft, but I think this is one of those drafts where having more picks in those first 4 rounds might benefit a team with a potential home run, or at the least top 9 potential players.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Should get his 1st game in green Tuesday in SJ; unfortunately Nils will get scratched over Hakanpaa.
Hope he works out for you guys. It's only been a single game with the Wranglers, but I really like Grushnikov so far. He skates really well and his awareness is very good, looking forward to his second game in about half an hour.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
FWIW, I saw Grushnikov's 1st game. He's got a long way to go in his pucks skills and first pass. He does move well and is competitive. I don't see a good shutdown NHL defenseman there. I see a 6/7 guy based on one viewing. Hopefully he develops and I'm wrong, but I don't love the trade now after taking a wait to see a full game approach.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
FWIW, I saw Grushnikov's 1st game. He's got a long way to go in his pucks skills and first pass. He does move well and is competitive. I don't see a good shutdown NHL defenseman there. I see a 6/7 guy based on one viewing. Hopefully he develops and I'm wrong, but I don't love the trade now after taking a wait to see a full game approach.
Exactly how Stars fans felt about him.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Pagnotta on 690 today said Oilers put a 1st and Ceci on table for Tanev.

From Friedman:

As for the deadline, the Flames quietly think they are better than they get credit for, and wanted to get to the playoffs to drive someone crazy with Markstrom in goal and Hanifin/Tanev on defence. They made a late pitch to keep Tanev (three years at $4.5M?), but things were too far down the line. Much to the defenceman’s relief, that saga is over. I haven’t watched Artem Grushnikov enough to make an honest assessment, but a few things are clear. First, this is a player Calgary likes and targeted (once Dallas eliminated their top three prospects from conversation). Like Pittsburgh with Guentzel, the Flames valued a slightly older prospect than a 2024 first-rounder, basically choosing two seconds and a conditional pick, rather than a first for Tanev. I’ve heard quite a bit now that teams are not crazy about late first-rounders this June, and this is more confirmation. A couple scouts who know Grushnikov better than I do said his ceiling is a left-handed version of the player they traded — although they made it very clear he needs AHL time and should not be rushed.

Bolded for emphasis

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

He's 20 years old lol

Might want to give it more than 1 game with a brand new team to conclude anything.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's 20 years old lol

Might want to give it more than 1 game with a brand new team to conclude anything.
I don't disagree. I just hadn't seen him before so I had no idea what he was. One game is just an initial impression. I also thought Zary would never be anything more than a 3rd liner. Development isn't linear and guys sometimes take big development leaps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad