Confirmed with Link: Dakota goes South: Joshua Traded to Blues for Future Considerations

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Imagine being worried about trading a prospect who has been regressing in the NCAA the past two years.
He could still provide value to the farm team? You know, provide some sort of competition for guys like Kara, SDA, and even Engvall. I'm not saying that we're missing out on a surefire NHL talent, what we're doing is needlessly dumping a player that had real use within the organization.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm interested in how future considerations are determined. I mean, the Leafs can't just call St. Louis one day and say that we want their first round draft pick as the consideration. Are there parameters that define what is and is not in play?

There are times when the future considerations is some kind of binding agreement on something that is pretty minor. I can't think of a good example right now, but anything that you might value as less than a 7th round pick. But I think a lot of these are just a verbal we owe you one, and there's nothing actually to it. Maybe St Louis does something very minor to pay us back later on, but don't count on it kind of thing.

The only future considerations I can think of that ever actually meant something was the Vegas expansion draft. Every trade involved Vegas giving the team future considerations which was a binding agreement to select to not select a certain player or players.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He was pretty buried on the org depth chart.. Always nice to get some sort of return on players like this

Dubas is becoming a bit shrewd in doing this.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think people are forgetting that Joshua is a *23 YEAR OLD* who's production has declined the past 2 years.

Lacking in Center depth? What? Beyond our deep roster of centers on the leafs (we have what, now at least 4 or 5 proven capable for the bottom 2 positions that might be up for grabs on the Leafs)

And on top of Brooks, Petan, and Engvall there's also Ferguson who have pro experience and are around the same age as Joshua who were all ahead of him in the depth charts and progressed decently last year. And then there's Luchuk, Estephan, Elyniuk and Bradley who are 2 or more years younger than him and also have pro experience now and also have showed promise.

Oh, and the team drafted 4 centers over the past couple years.

I think its time to let go the idea that the Leafs are an org that lacks center depth at any level.

What people?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He could still provide value to the farm team? You know, provide some sort of competition for guys like Kara, SDA, and even Engvall. I'm not saying that we're missing out on a surefire NHL talent, what we're doing is needlessly dumping a player that had real use within the organization.
Joshua wouldn't even make the Marlies. We are trading these players because they aren't very good.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Imagine being worried about trading a prospect who has been regressing in the NCAA the past two years.

Will this be in your 12 paragraphs? I won't sleep until I read it.

Is there any benefit to the acquiring team for trading a college player about to hit free agency? Do they get to sign him to another year for ELC?

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
There are times when the future considerations is some kind of binding agreement on something that is pretty minor. I can't think of a good example right now, but anything that you might value as less than a 7th round pick. But I think a lot of these are just a verbal we owe you one, and there's nothing actually to it. Maybe St Louis does something very minor to pay us back later on, but don't count on it kind of thing.

The only future considerations I can think of that ever actually meant something was the Vegas expansion draft. Every trade involved Vegas giving the team future considerations which was a binding agreement to select to not select a certain player or players.
Just looked it up - NHL teams can't trade a player for nothing. Something of value has to be considered to make the contract valid so 'future considerations' is a minimum value agreed upon without specifying an actual value. These considerations may, indeed, turn out to be nothing. We were going to lose Dakota in August if we didn't sign him so, while we didn't technically get anything back for him at this date, there is always the potential for something to be agreed upon at a later date.

Reactions: Lauro

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

The player is so unconsequential that it was probably just something trivial about the player’s life like he wanted to stay in the US or something.

There was a club willing to sign him to an ELC and Leafs didn’t want to use the contract spot so just flip him over no need to hold him hostage.

Reactions: yubbers

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Obviously they think they can do better with another free agent or something, and he wasn't worth an ELC. And it isn't at all hard to believe they could.

member 300185

Has there ever been a deal where "future considerations" actually happened? We have all heard 100 deals that involved future considerations. How would a future considerations deal actually look like?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
the Blues have given an undertaking to the Leafs to use reasonable best efforts to trade flotsam and jetsam to other teams to secure another 7th round pick for us, as we are trying to corner the market in 2020 7th rounders.
Or who cares?

With the amount of late round picks in 2020 that we have I'm guessing our European scouts have spoken up and have tagged a bunch of guys we could target. Dubas seems really intent on making sure we have at least 4 7ths next year.

It's supposed to be one of the deepest drafts ever so always good to have extra ammo I suppose.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
NCAA and Russia have been brutal, CHL has been meh but we've killed it in Sweden the last decade or so.

We really need to get better at taking the NCAA and Russian kids. I have some hope for Kara and Kizimov still.
I don't understand how we've constantly swung and missed on USHL/NCAA. It's been brutal basically the last 20 years.

As for Joshua, he was part of that horrid 3-pick run in 2014 along with Piccinich and Vesey. Low upside nothing from the USHL. In fact, 2014 seemed to be the epitome of our drafts in the JFJ-Burke-Nonis-Hunter era. Skill in the top 10, safe crap in the middle rounds and then a Swedish Bergman pick in the 7th.

I also find it interesting the way the narrative of poor drafts over the years have changed. During the Burke years it was, "Screw these safe guys who may top out as 4th liners, we need to swing for the fences on home runs." Now that we are going for skill and upside "Screw these tweener guys, we just need guys who can play!"

Sometimes its not about the type of player they went after, but just the fact that the players themselves aren't good picks.

Going back to the original point, while we are missing on USHL and Russia, those are at least a bit harder to judge. I'm a little more irked we are missing on more CHL guys who are right in our backyard than we should be. Yes we've hit on top guys like Kadri and Rielly and have managed to pluck out Dermott and Brown. But we've also been whiffing on a bunch while a team like Tampa pulls out Cirelli and Joseph for example. We should be hitting on more of those types of picks, really hoping Nicholas Robertson will be an example of that.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Harsh on Korshkov. He has an opportunity this year.
We'll see how he does this year. Right now he's at about the same level as Engvall for me. Which isn't a bad thing but if he's our best Russian prospect since Kulemin basically it's still pretty sad.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As a 4 year US College graduating senior Dakota Joshua was about to become a UFA in the next month as Leafs were about to lose his player rights.

STL got a jump on that and got him early so they could sign him to a 2 year ELC to avoid that, as he wasn't going to sign with the Leafs anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00