Daily Check In - Part Duex

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Finding it really tough to get back into the routine of going 5 days a week after being out of commish for half of January and all of February.

Frustrating.

There's no need to go 5x per week. Scale it back and ease in, better yet scale back and become accustomed to fewer sessions weekly.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
There's no need to go 5x per week. Scale it back and ease in, better yet scale back and become accustomed to fewer sessions weekly.

I just like having a day for chest, back, legs and shoulders though.

I could take out the 5th day I suppose, as it's usually just an arm day that I probably don't need...

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Been working out for a week for the first time in 3 years. Hope to be on the gains train really soon.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
5x5 flat barbell at 200 lbs. Next week gonna try and hit 6 reps on my first 2-3 sets, if successful, up to 205 the week after.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
4/11 Office Workout
- Core Flow: 6:00 x 2
- Bulgarian Split Squat: +95 x 9 x 3
- One-Arm Row: 76.5 x 13 x 3
- DB X-Shrug : 55 x 12 x 3
- Neutral Grip Pull-Up (4-2-0 tempo): +40 x 6, + 15 x 7, body x 10
- Kettlebell Swing: 122 x 20 x 3

Bike Trainer
- 60 minutes easy recovery spin.

Climbing
2.5 hours. Hard efforts up to 5.12. Lower volume in general. Followed up at home with static hangs and rice bucket work.

Making progress on Bulgarian split squats. Should probably be close to +bodyweight by the end of the summer. Continuing to make progress on climbing and general hand strength as well.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Tonight I hit 275x3, 275x4, and 275x5 on the 2-board press.

The week after that I got to 280x3 for 3 sets, and last night was 280x4 for 3 sets. Did a bunch of weighted dips and ended with 270x6 for a couple sets on decline press.

Front Squat up to 205x1, to the floor and touching. Not amazing but I've only done 4 sessions with it since being back to doing them in over 2 years.

Weighted chins are up to +70x6 for a couple sets, full stretch and pause, pulling up over the bar.

I just like having a day for chest, back, legs and shoulders though.

I could take out the 5th day I suppose, as it's usually just an arm day that I probably don't need...

Lots of people, me included, *like* certain things. But sometimes they're just not the way to go. You could always keep certain days for certain muscles, and just lower volume, to find a happy medium. If you prefer daily workouts vs. every other day or so, then there's nothing wrong with that. 20-30min., in & out, and you're on with your day. Just be sure to space things out appropriately so you don't hinder yourself. You could also do like I do, and stagger unrelated muscle groups. Hit your main group, like back, and between sets bang out some calf or ab work. Do chest the next day, and hit biceps & traps in between so you can save the time from doing them on chest day. Lots of ways to lessen your time in the gym and still get everything done :)

4/11 Office Workout
- Bulgarian Split Squat: +95 x 9 x 3

Making progress on Bulgarian split squats. Should probably be close to +bodyweight by the end of the summer. Continuing to make progress on climbing and general hand strength as well.

Don't think I've asked before, but are you using a barbell or combined dumbbell weight?

What a day for a park workout:D

Squats and pull ups Thursday. Still getting those small gains every week - one extra rep here, two there.

Way to go! Small linear progression is what it's all about! Mentally it's pretty 'easy' to hit your goals, and as long as you have patience and keep to your plans the gains over time can and will be insane!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
The week after that I got to 280x3 for 3 sets, and last night was 280x4 for 3 sets. Did a bunch of weighted dips and ended with 270x6 for a couple sets on decline press.

Front Squat up to 205x1, to the floor and touching. Not amazing but I've only done 4 sessions with it since being back to doing them in over 2 years.

Weighted chins are up to +70x6 for a couple sets, full stretch and pause, pulling up over the bar.

Nice lifts.

Don't think I've asked before, but are you using a barbell or combined dumbbell weight?

Combination of a weighted vest and dumbbells. I do them in my office with a step stool for my rear leg. May have to eventually get a 2nd vest...

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Nice lifts.

Combination of a weighted vest and dumbbells. I do them in my office with a step stool for my rear leg. May have to eventually get a 2nd vest...

Ah yes, I remember you mentioning a vest before. That's got to be helpful in distributing the weight and lessening the balance stress, I'd imagine?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Ah yes, I remember you mentioning a vest before. That's got to be helpful in distributing the weight and lessening the balance stress, I'd imagine?

Yeah, I'm maxed out on the weighted vest weight, so anything I've been adding has been via bigger dumbbells. My balance has gotten a lot better though. I really try to think of my arms as just ropes with hooks at the end to prevent me from trying to keep/regain my balance by moving the dumbbells around. I just try to let them dangle with as little movement as possible other than straight up and down during the lift. Any movement should be confined to my upper body leaning somewhat forward, similar to a back squat.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Clocked in at 164.5 lbs last night. Started at 169 two weeks ago. Getting under 165 is a huge mental milestone for me, as I was in the best shape of my life a few years ago in the 157-163 range. The abs are peeking through again.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Yeah, I'm maxed out on the weighted vest weight, so anything I've been adding has been via bigger dumbbells. My balance has gotten a lot better though. I really try to think of my arms as just ropes with hooks at the end to prevent me from trying to keep/regain my balance by moving the dumbbells around. I just try to let them dangle with as little movement as possible other than straight up and down during the lift. Any movement should be confined to my upper body leaning somewhat forward, similar to a back squat.

Same way for me! It's tough sometimes when you're getting up to weights that really push you. There have been times where if I'm not holding my core or lower leg properly, I'll stumble and have to put my other foot down to correct myself. Thankfully that isn't too frequent, but it's nice to have that be a full-body exercise.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Started back PHAT routine by Layne Norton on Monday. I advise anyone who never tried the program and is willing to train 5 days a week to give this program a go. Did so last summer and loved it. this is the kind of training where you can really feel a huge effect on your body/metabolism/muscles, especially in the day following your two "power" days.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
going to do a nice shoulder workout after work. Been 6 weeks since I messed it up playing hockey.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Do any of you here avoid doing leg extensions because they are too hard on your knees?

I've read plenty of warnings about leg extensions. Apparently orthopedic surgeons say they can damage your knees. I've been doing them off and on for years and I don't feel any pressure on my knees. Doing them regularly for the past few months and can notice the difference on my quads. In fact the exercise I hate doing the most is squats because of the pressure it puts on my knees. I do have a weird body so that might have something to do with it.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Uggh Holidays officially over tomorrow. Good for my health at least. I was good for a couple days but threw in the towel by the middle of last week. Just another bump in the road to learn from.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Uggh Holidays officially over tomorrow. Good for my health at least. I was good for a couple days but threw in the towel by the middle of last week. Just another bump in the road to learn from.

Don't beat yourself up over it too much. No one makes good food choices 365 days a year. The key is to consistently make good food choices, which means you can have occasions where you indulge in more food than you normally would, as long as you maintain your regular solid routine once it's over. There are only so many special occasions/holidays in which you have to deviate from your regular routine. Enjoy them and don't worry about the consequences.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Don't beat yourself up over it too much. No one makes good food choices 365 days a year. The key is to consistently make good food choices, which means you can have occasions where you indulge in more food than you normally would, as long as you maintain your regular solid routine once it's over. There are only so many special occasions/holidays in which you have to deviate from your regular routine. Enjoy them and don't worry about the consequences.

I'm not too worried about it, I know it's a marathon not a sprint.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Had a cheat weekend. Even after eating well yesterday still feel bloated and like ****.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Really making good ground to make up for last week.

Hit my steps and 30 minutes of activity goals 4 days in a row, lost every day as well. Looking toward a nice challenging hike on the weekend. Just hope I don't mess my calf up again.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Another pretty good week.

It was tough, but I am up to 15 1 arm incline push ups on each side (5th step on a staircase/45 degrees). I'll stay on the 5th step for a few more weeks before I move down to the 4th.

Everything else is the usual - small gains here and there. All of my t shirts have become tight over the last year:D

I was 160 when I started last March, now I flux between 175 and 180 daily.

Lastly the muscle I have been rehabbing (hurt it in January - started rehabbing it beginning of March) is feeling better week by week and getting stronger. I am able to do a little more with it than the week before. Still 2-3 months (min) out from being where I want to be, but I will get there.

Good day all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad