Dahlin or Svechnikov

Who would you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You realize his name is Hughes unleashed eh? Your likely not gonna convince him that Hughes was an incredibly weak 1oa, more Yak than McDavid.

Either way, I have Lafreniere and Svetchnikov in similiar tiers with Hughes significantly behind them. I feel Svetchnikov got undervalued a bit
Svetchnikov is a fabulous player, and one of the best at his position. Dahlin is a really good player too, but isn’t the same level.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Buffalo needed defense, Carolina needed a top-end forward. I'd say the lottery worked out well for both teams.

And yes, Buffalo still takes Dahlin.
Dahlin is good, but is he a star player like Svetchnikov?
I like Dahlin, but in a redraft he might go 3rd.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Dahlin is good, but is he a star player like Svetchnikov?
I like Dahlin, but in a redraft he might go 3rd.

3rd not sure

2nd yes depending of the need as I think Scech will be really good(I was hoping he would fall to us)

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I've heard rumblings that the Canes would have taken Svech at #1 if they had landed in that spot from the lottery. in a redraft, they'd still take him #1. part of that is probably positional need, but he's produced already as a teenager and has showcased the skill set to continue a dramatic uptick in his counting stats in the coming years.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Right now Svechnikov is the better player. In the future, it's hard to say. As to positions, it's a typical NA point of view, but in Russia there have been way more star wingers, than centers.

Look at Ovechkin. Or Kovalchuk. Or Panarin. Or Kucherov. Or take a winger like Kane, who led his team to 3 Cups. I bet there have been very few centers, who would be taken before Kane at his prime...

Reactions: hockeynorth

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No proof whatsoever. I don't follow prospects as closely as many others here. I'm going mostly off of hype I hear around players. There was a ton more hype around Lafreniere, even a year out, than Hughes. Even 2-3 years ago this was true.

Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafreniere?

Lafereniere has the slightest of leads here, but if you round, its 50/50.

Kakko vs Hughes vs Lafreniere

Here's a Lafreniere, Hughes, Kakko poll. 56.7% rank Lafreniere first, 14.5% rank Kakko first and 29% rank Hughes first. But if you look at the poll, Lafreniere has the second highest 3rd place of the three, so its not completely unanimous that he's the best. Most preferred him here, but more thought he was the worst of the three than Hughes. Opinions were certainly mixed.

Byfield vs Hughes vs Lafreniere
Jack Hughes vs Alexis Lafreniere
Kaapo Kakko, Jack Hughes or Alexis Lafrenière?
If Lafreniere was born a month earlier would he challenge Hughes for 2019 1st overall?

Here are a number of other threads. While a lot preferred Lafreniere, it was nowhere near a consensus or anywhere close to it. Lafreniere was definitely in the same tier as Hughes in how they were regarded, and I think he was probably also in the same tier as Kakko in how he was regarded.

McKenzie also said right before the 2019 WJC that he thought it'd be Hughes before Lafreniere, if they were in the same draft, and he's as connected as anyone in hockey about where players rank on the draft boards of NHL teams.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The people that say Svechnikov is currently better are being hypocritical.

Last year when people were suggesting that Svechnikov wasn't playing that well, they constantly claimed that he wasn't given a big enough role. Now, they don't seem to care about that. Svechnikov has a first line role on a great line, so role doesn't seem to matter to them anymore.

But if they were to be consistent, they should point out that Dahlin is one of the most misused players in the NHL. His coach is a complete moron, and doesn't play him anywhere near the minutes he should be playing.

I don't think you can blame Dahlin for his role. I didn't blame Svechnikov last year for his role.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Dahlin is a D and will be more important to his team if he only become almost as good as svhjtuyekov. Dahlin will probably have a longer process reaching his ceiling.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Here's a Lafreniere, Hughes, Kakko poll. 56.7% rank Lafreniere first, 14.5% rank Kakko first and 29% rank Hughes first. But if you look at the poll, Lafreniere has the second highest 3rd place of the three, so its not completely unanimous that he's the best. Most preferred him here, but more thought he was the worst of the three than Hughes. Opinions were certainly mixed.

If Lafreniere was born a month earlier would he challenge Hughes for 2019 1st overall?

Here are a number of other threads. While a lot preferred Lafreniere, it was nowhere near a consensus or anywhere close to it. Lafreniere was definitely in the same tier as Hughes in how they were regarded, and I think he was probably also in the same tier as Kakko in how he was regarded.

McKenzie also said right before the 2019 WJC that he thought it'd be Hughes before Lafreniere, if they were in the same draft, and he's as connected as anyone in hockey about where players rank on the draft boards of NHL teams.

Arent you making my point? Laf > Hugues. How does anything you showed indicate anything else?

And - this was 1 year early for Laf. If you even the playing field it gives him an even bigger edge

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I've heard rumblings that the Canes would have taken Svech at #1 if they had landed in that spot from the lottery. in a redraft, they'd still take him #1. part of that is probably positional need, but he's produced already as a teenager and has showcased the skill set to continue a dramatic uptick in his counting stats in the coming years.
Some might question Dahlin’s compete level. Svechnikov is a hyper compete guy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Didn’t Jack Hughes have, by the numbers, the worst rookie season ever for a first overall? Clearly he’s still a boy, and was rushed to the NHL. Can’t say that about either Dahlin or Svechnikov. They are both big guys, who were able to play with men.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dahlin is a D and will be more important to his team if he only become almost as good as svhjtuyekov. Dahlin will probably have a longer process reaching his ceiling.
Dahlin is already physically a man. He’s like Ekblad that way. I see Dahlin being what he is now for his career. Yes there will be a learning curve, which will definitely help him with his defensive game. But mostly he’s what we see now.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Svechnikov is a hyper compete guy.
Sometimes to his own detriment, i.e. Ovechkin almost killing him. But yeah, I had read he was competitive before the Canes drafted him but I didn't expect him to not take shit from anybody while actively being physical as an 18 year old.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Are there actually people doing this?
Could this lack of compete (with some of the Buffalo players) be part of why Eichel is so frustrated?
Plus, is there honestly any doubt between the level of Svechnikov’s compete with that if Dahlin? Svechnikov plays a heavy game, and fights (toe to toe with OV) Dahlin is more a subtle player.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sometimes to his own detriment, i.e. Ovechkin almost killing him. But yeah, I had read he was competitive before the Canes drafted him but I didn't expect him to not take shit from anybody while actively being physical as an 18 year old.
I think Svechnikov’s hyper compete (especially fighting toe to toe against OV) makes him a leader to his mates. Kid has the whole package. That compete level is where he is far superior to Dahlin.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Arent you making my point? Laf > Hugues. How does anything you showed indicate anything else?

And - this was 1 year early for Laf. If you even the playing field it gives him an even bigger edge

That was not your point. If you are trying to claim your point is something it’s not, and that’s exactly what you did, it’s clear you’ve started moving the goalposts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Didn’t Jack Hughes have, by the numbers, the worst rookie season ever for a first overall? Clearly he’s still a boy, and was rushed to the NHL. Can’t say that about either Dahlin or Svechnikov. They are both big guys, who were able to play with men.

What’s your point?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Didn’t Jack Hughes have, by the numbers, the worst rookie season ever for a first overall?

Numbers can mean a lot of different things and the answer to this question really depends on what numbers you're looking at but regardless of how you do it, the answer is probably no.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Because....he was? Not sure i'd use the qualifier of "worlds ahead" - but he always was seen as better.

I see this as NJ fans playing the victim card and trying to portray it as people picking on his poor rookie season. That's not true. Before the draft last year - Lafreniere was seen was the better prospect with higher upside.

No need to be so defensive about it.

I'm a Canucks fan so that throws your theory out the window?

You realize his name is Hughes unleashed eh? Your likely not gonna convince him that Hughes was an incredibly weak 1oa, more Yak than McDavid.

Either way, I have Lafreniere and Svetchnikov in similiar tiers with Hughes significantly behind them. I feel Svetchnikov got undervalued a bit

If you paid attention my profile picture is actually of Quinn Hughes not Jack hence the username. As the user @Pavel Buchnevich showed with old threads it actually wasn't as lopsided as people are making it out to be. Laf was considered better but not by a huge Margin.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Dahlin and Svechnikov are men, and Jack Hughes is still a boy. Hughes will improve tremendously as he becomes a man. The other two (who are both already good, because they are men) will improve less.
are you being funny or something. On what would is dahlin physically developed? He is a lanky boy, if u want to compare him to yourself fine but among athletes no. He should he at least 210lbs with his hight, the kid hasn't gotten rid of his pimples yet.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad