Dahlin, Heiskanen, Hughes, Makar - next Generation of great D

Erebor

Jan 8, 2019
After Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Zubov, Pronger ecc in the late 90's and the beginning of the new millenium and the current stars like Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman ecc. it looks like the players mentioned above will be the future on the blue line.

That's a fantastic new generation of elite defensmen.

What are your thoughts about them?

Reactions: Literally

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Maybe, but I don't believe that we have seen enough of Hughes or Makar at the NHL level to include them as possible stars or elite defensemen just yet. It looks promising, but the jury is still out on those couple of players. Dahlin and Heiskanen look like the real deals.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Heiskanen
Makar
Dahlin
Hughes
Chabot
Jones
McAvoy
Dumba
Byram?

Probably forgetting someone

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't remember the last time a defenseman was hyped as much as Dahlin. I'm eager to see how he pans out. I'm sure he'll be a solid NHL defensemen - but i wonder if he lives up to the hype.

It's so much easier to hype forwards. McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin....they can score a zillion points or goals in juniors and people say "wow they'll be good". It's generally rarer to see defensemen hyped so much.

I agree that there are a lot of young defensemen that look great. Which is exciting because as recently as 2 years ago there didn't seem to be that many top end guys in sight.

Reactions: amethyst

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'd wait until Hughes and Makar play an NHL season before including them.

Reactions: Estlin

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Heiskanen
Makar
Dahlin
Hughes
Chabot
Jones
McAvoy
Dumba
Byram?

Probably forgetting someone

Morrissey, Trouba and Rielly are all up there too as 25 & under DMen

Dobson, Bouchard, Smith and Boqvist are all guys who have a shot at being top flight DMen, too, as do Nurse, Ekblad, Hanifin, Sanheim, Dunn, Pulock, Chychrun, and Provorov. I'm sure one or two of those guys will surprise, even some of the more developed ones.

But I do think you got most of the top group pretty accurately

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I don't remember the last time a defenseman was hyped as much as Dahlin. I'm eager to see how he pans out. I'm sure he'll be a solid NHL defensemen - but i wonder if he lives up to the hype.

It's so much easier to hype forwards. McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin....they can score a zillion points or goals in juniors and people say "wow they'll be good". It's generally rarer to see defensemen hyped so much.

I agree that there are a lot of young defensemen that look great. Which is exciting because as recently as 2 years ago there didn't seem to be that many top end guys in sight.
Did you miss the whole regular season? He had one of the best seasons ever by an 18 year old d-man. He has lived up to expectations if not exceeded them.

Unless you were one of the people expecting 50+ points by an 18 year old defenseman.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I wouldn't include the two of Makar and Hughes with proven NHL players just yet, even though I am a huge Makar fan. One is the #1 D on a second round playoff team and one broke all kinds of records at 18 years old.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
If you are adding Hughes there, you should add Boqvist too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad