Confirmed with Link: Dadonov (50% retained) to Stars in exchange for Gurianov

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Thats the problem with Pride nights though. They were forced to take a stand by either wearing the jerseys in support/celebration or not. Its not as if they were protesting at a parade or anything. I'm sure most of them would have preferred to keep their views to themselves, but that option was taken away.

I don't think there is anything particularly harmful about someone quietly/personally not approving of the LBGTQ lifestyle.

Basically these nights are "outing" those with unpopular or politically incorrect views so to speak, I'll be glad when they are no longer a part of the game. No place for that and they have done more harm than good.
But can we at least differentiate between Russian players doing it and others ? As to me it is very very different .
Fear is a good excuse as far as I am concerned and I have read enough about what is going on there as far as crushing the community to accept that as an excuse

Reactions: Natey

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
But can we at least differentiate between Russian players doing it and others ? As to me it is very very different .
Fear is a good excuse as far as I am concerned and I have read enough about what is going on there as far as crushing the community to accept that as an excuse
I personally think the "fear" is just a scapegoat being used by the players that simply do not want to celebrate the lifestyle.

I mean, they were born and raised in a country where homosexuality is heavily stigmatized, I don't think its a stretch to think that a few Russian players actually feel the same way as well.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Thats the problem with Pride nights though. They were forced to take a stand by either wearing the jerseys in support/celebration or not. Its not as if they were protesting at a parade or anything. I'm sure most of them would have preferred to keep their views to themselves, but that option was taken away.

I don't think there is anything particularly harmful about someone quietly/personally not approving of the LBGTQ lifestyle.

Basically these nights are "outing" those with unpopular or politically incorrect views so to speak, I'll be glad when they are no longer a part of the game. No place for that and they have done more harm than good.
They make me uncomfortable too (any and all « awareness » night at a hockey game). Couldn’t target a more homophobic crowd than pro athletes and their fans though, so I get it.

Imagine Hoffman refuses to participate in a « violence towards women » night because his religion wants submissive women… or Caufield refusing come out of the dressing room for black culture month because he’s openly racist (or they really are back home so he’s afraid of the look).

Let them voice discontent, and let us voice back what we think.

Reactions: ottawa

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Imagine Hoffman refuses to participate in a « violence towards women » night because his religion wants submissive women… or Caufield refusing come out of the dressing room for black culture month because he’s o-enly racist (or they really are back home so he’s afraid of the look).
Imagine they just went to the rink and played hockey for our entertainment.

Film Noir

Mar 7, 2010
Verdun
Quite the opposite... They've done way more good then harm. And if you want to build the game, you need to include minorities. Everyone should be welcome in the stands, that's what those nights stand for.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I personally think the "fear" is just a scapegoat being used by the players that simply do not want to celebrate the lifestyle.

I mean, they were born and raised in a country where homosexuality is heavily stigmatized, I don't think it’s a stretch to think that a few Russian players actually feel the same way as well.
True but let’s not forget what is going on now , just research it . Again look what happened to michkov father , so hockey and politics are one in Russia , and open actions against the community as well .

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimota

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
How in the world are you equating these things?

and pride night = corporate dierrhea? Have a nice life bro, wow (will hit ignore, I don’t think I ever have).

He can make a stand, and I am allowed to ask him to get the f**** out of my city. Am I doing this freedom thing right?

I’ll answer but not sure if serious… NO I would not force anyone to eat pork (wtf). And a guy refusing to share a meal does violence to no-one. Jesus christ, maybe you’re right and we should only talk corsi on here.
Test

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Don’t be silly. The same NHL that ignores the sexual abuse of players by original 6 teams totally cares about gay rights bro.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Shawnathon

Jul 25, 2012
They make me uncomfortable too (any and all « awareness » night at a hockey game). Couldn’t target a more homophobic crowd than pro athletes and their fans though, so I get it.

Imagine Hoffman refuses to participate in a « violence towards women » night because his religion wants submissive women… or Caufield refusing come out of the dressing room for black culture month because he’s openly racist (or they really are back home so he’s afraid of the look).

Let them voice discontent, and let us voice back what we think.
The NHL should not be forcing anybody to support other people’s beliefs no matter how much you disagree with it. You can support gay rights and not believe in everything the LGBTQ community stands for. I hope the NHL gets rid of this gong show next year.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Especially when there's a good chance he's done in the NHL (if he wants to make a similar salary that he makes now) and he'll likely be back home in a month's time.

There's lots of things I'm scared of that will cause me not to do things.

The guy is invisible on the ice, good luck to him wherever he lands next season as long as it’s not in Montreal.
So if he is in Montreal next year, you wish him bad luck? Seems strange.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
are we talking the habs here?
:laugh:

hey- msl been talking about it all week, it’s literally the only thing of note about the team.

on a final note, I hope Gurianov slips in the shower and his cheek brushes really uncomfortably on thick Nick’s d***, and nick stares him down all zoolander-like..

To show I disaprove of someone not supporting my cause, I hope he gets graped. No wonder some don't want to wear the jersey. The insanity that is coming from that side of the pound. Shoving things down people's throats has never worked.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
To show I disaprove of someone not supporting my cause, I hope he gets graped. No wonder some don't want to wear the jersey. The insanity that is coming from that side of the pound. Shoving things down people's throats has never worked.
It's a small sample size but two lesbians and one gay that I asked today all want Gurianov to suffer no consequences, especially since he has made no statements to disparage anyone.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It's a small sample size but two lesbians and one gay that I asked today all want Gurianov to suffer no consequences, especially since he has made no statements to disparage anyone.

I'm not shocked. I even doubt that most people from that community are even responsible for pushing this. It's like corporations are using it as marketing to give themselves a better image to use it as a shield. So they are gonna be impervious to attacks. I bet you would ask most gay people what they think of it and they would say "I don't want to force people to wear my colors" or something they don't want to.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Reminds me of a time me and my friends and I went to a public skate a few years ago. At the center of the rink there was this Jeff Skinner looking guy (also named Jeff funnily enough) who was absolutely killing it on power turns and backwards crossovers. We got to talking and it turned out he played hockey as well. We planned a pickup game later that day, and one of my friends (lets call him Brad) started saying "hey Jeff, we have a pickup game later today, you should join us". Thankfully he was only halfway done with that sentence before a woke Samaritan like Naslundforever (maybe it was him) sped across the rink and frantically cut Brad off. He knew Jeff and frantically screamed out that Jeff was a homosexual who has sex with other men, and we were being extremely bigoted and homophobic by not acknowledging and addressing him properly. Thankfully he had the proper attire required just for such situations - a glittering rainbow jersey and some pink pom poms, and explained to us the right way to do it. We had the DJ play Lady Gaga's born this way and took turns putting on the flamingo like outfit and skating around Jeff saying "hey Jeff, we would like to invite you, a homosexual who has sex with other men, to our pickup hockey game. Hockey is for everyone!TM". After we finished with a group applause Jeff seemed a little taken aback and left in a hurry.I guess he was so used to the usual homophobia he experienced when being invited to hockey games he internalized it a little bit and was taken aback by our tolerance and inclusivity. To this day I shudder that how close Brad was to crossing that line into ignorant homophobia.

• Haha
Reactions: Belial and chirrrs

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I don’t think there should be consequences; and of course he is entitled to his reasons.

I mean any of us would have taken a « sans solde » or gotten sudden chills haha

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
if his reason is legitimate, feel bad for him... that's a tough space to navigate.
if he's using the excuse as cover... well, just puts him in the same camp as the Staal's/Reimer.

Either way, can't imagine this helps his cause when it comes to getting an extension from the habs next year... especially with his on-ice audition being a bit so-so thus far... the potential is there, but with CC & Anderson locked in, Gally & Hoffman on the books (for now), and Farrell, Slaf, Heineman, Roy, Ylonen all likely to make every effort to earn a top-9 spot out of camp next year, we don't exactly have the need/space to make re-signing him a priority.

Plus, if the fear for his family is that acute, perhaps returning to Russia and playing in the KHL is the best way for him to manage that risk :dunno:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Reminds me of a time me and my friends and I went to a public skate a few years ago. At the center of the rink there was this Jeff Skinner looking guy (also named Jeff funnily enough) who was absolutely killing it on power turns and backwards crossovers. We got to talking and it turned out he played hockey as well. We planned a pickup game later that day, and one of my friends (lets call him Brad) started saying "hey Jeff, we have a pickup game later today, you should join us". Thankfully he was only halfway done with that sentence before a woke Samaritan like Naslundforever (maybe it was him) sped across the rink and frantically cut Brad off. He knew Jeff and frantically screamed out that Jeff was a homosexual who has sex with other men, and we were being extremely bigoted and homophobic by not acknowledging and addressing him properly. Thankfully he had the proper attire required just for such situations - a glittering rainbow jersey and some pink pom poms, and explained to us the right way to do it. We had the DJ play Lady Gaga's born this way and took turns putting on the flamingo like outfit and skating around Jeff saying "hey Jeff, we would like to invite you, a homosexual who has sex with other men, to our pickup hockey game. Hockey is for everyone!TM". After we finished with a group applause Jeff seemed a little taken aback and left in a hurry.I guess he was so used to the usual homophobia he experienced when being invited to hockey games he internalized it a little bit and was taken aback by our tolerance and inclusivity. To this day I shudder that how close Brad was to crossing that line into ignorant homophobia.
?

if his reason is legitimate, feel bad for him... that's a tough space to navigate.
if he's using the excuse as cover... well, just puts him in the same camp as the Staal's/Reimer.

Either way, can't imagine this helps his cause when it comes to getting an extension from the habs next year... especially with his on-ice audition being a bit so-so thus far... the potential is there, but with CC & Anderson locked in, Gally & Hoffman on the books (for now), and Farrell, Slaf, Heineman, Roy, Ylonen all likely to make every effort to earn a top-9 spot out of camp next year, we don't exactly have the need/space to make re-signing him a priority.

Plus, if the fear for his family is that acute, perhaps returning to Russia and playing in the KHL is the best way for him to manage that risk :dunno:
This will not be a factor in whether or not he signs with us or not, the fact that he's a marginal player is.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Thanks for the update Ken.

Any chance you can also let us in on your other roster plans this summer?

I'm not Kent Hughes, but I am 100% certain that he does not give 2 shits about a player wearing a pride jersey for warmups. If he feels that Gurianov is the best option, he'll keep him. If he feels that the spot should go to a kid, Gury is gone.

Perhaps you took my tone the wrong way, but as a sensible poster, you know what I'm saying is true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad