Speculation: Dach's future with the Hawks: WWYD?

If you're Davidson, what do you do with Dach?

• Keep him and hope he turns it around

Votes: 62 95.4%
  • Trade him this summer

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Ok, if the overwhelming majority want to keep him, then why the bitching right now? Give him 2-3 more years before completely giving up.
I think it was a wasted pick (bitching) but don’t think he gets more than a 3rd if you put him on the market. So the only real choice is to keep him and hope he decides he wants to make the effort consistently. If not, he’s a 3rd line winger.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Because of the comments in the gamethreads.

Instead of stuff like "Dach has disappointed so far, hopefully he figures it out." You have people declaring him a bust, and saying that he'll never amount to anything. If that's the case, wouldn't you want to cut your losses and move on? It doesn't make any sense to me.
I’m one of the few who thinks he’s a bust. It’s not a skill thing, it’s a hard work thing. (Just my opinion) it’s his effort that is lacking.
Like the DeBrincat comments above. He was struggling but always busted his ass. I find on far too many goals against Dach is 8 feet behind the play and gliding.
I see a spoiled kid who was bigger and with his stride faster than most others. Never really had to outwork opponents before and now. …

Reactions: Backyard Hockey

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
if Philly could find an interested party with Nolan Patrick then the Hawks should be able to as well, IDK if a Cody Glass type return is really an enticing move for Hawks to move on from Kirby
What would the comparable be? Kakko? Turcotte? Podkolzin? Broberg?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What would the comparable be? Kakko? Turcotte? Podkolzin? Broberg?
your guess is probably better than mine but that list seems reasonable, kakko for dach would be interesting as hawks arguably need wingers more than centers if they plan to retain toews and strome plus have reichel at center, rangers want a center according to the kane trade threads on mainboard

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
your guess is probably better than mine but that list seems reasonable, kakko for dach would be interesting as hawks arguably need wingers more than centers if they plan to retain toews and strome plus have reichel at center, rangers want a center according to the kane trade threads on mainboard
Dach has shown a bit more than Kakko imo.

Between the two I'd rather have Dach, although the differences may seem negligible.

It could wind up being a classic change of scenery trade. That being said I think it's too soon to look into that. A year from now if both of them are still looking the same, then it could make sense for both parties.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

That would be very short sighted of the Hawks. Centers are far more important than wingers and it’s Toews and Strome. Not a lot of confidence in that going forward at center. You can get decent wingers in free agency every year.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Ok, if the overwhelming majority want to keep him, then why the bitching right now? Give him 2-3 more years before completely giving up.
He was the 3rd pick, hes young and he’s had garbage coaching. I’d like to see if a good cia h can get him going

That said, I’m not seeing anything to suggest that he’ll be a difference maker. Hopefully I’m wrong.

So, give him one more ‘prove it’ year.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I’m one of the few who thinks he’s a bust. It’s not a skill thing, it’s a hard work thing. (Just my opinion) it’s his effort that is lacking.
Like the DeBrincat comments above. He was struggling but always busted his ass. I find on far too many goals against Dach is 8 feet behind the play and gliding.
I see a spoiled kid who was bigger and with his stride faster than most others. Never really had to outwork opponents before and now. …
I don't know if its a work thing, i just think he has a passenger mentality at the nhl level. Wouldnt be shocked if he went somewhere else with lowef expectations and became a productive player in a supporting role, but I just do not see him ever being "the guy".

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I don't know if its a work thing, i just think he has a passenger mentality at the nhl level. Wouldnt be shocked if he went somewhere else with lowef expectations and became a productive player in a supporting role, but I just do not see him ever being "the guy".
If he makes maximum effort and ends up a 3rd liner that’s fine. It’s not on him that’s on the scouting staff.
As down as I am on him I don’t trade him for Pennies because (to me) if he ever “gets it” he has skills/tools to be a force on the ice

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Lafraniere and Kakko have to be considered disappointing at this point....I think Kakko is very limited and needs an element of toughness to play his way and be effective. We're not the only club with a disappointed Top 10 draft pick this early in their careers.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Lafraniere and Kakko have to be considered disappointing at this point....I think Kakko is very limited and needs an element of toughness to play his way and be effective. We're not the only club with a disappointed Top 10 draft pick this early in their careers.
That draft must have been the worst in a while regarding top 5 picks and how they have panned out so far.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
That draft must have been the worst in a while regarding top 5 picks and how they have panned out so far.
If you go back to 2019 only Hughes and arguably Byram have done well from the top 5 picks. Kakko, Dach and Turcotte have been disappointing.

With regard to the top 10, it's having a 40% hit rate early which is worse than usual. Since 2000 it's had a roughly 70% hit rate in terms of at least getting a top 6 F or top 4 D.

In terms of guys from the top 10 that are underperforming that could still hit, I think the best bets are Kakko and Cozens. Kakko has strong underlying numbers, and Cozens has an outside chance to get 40 points this year.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
What is going to make Dach pop all of a sudden? Curious about your thoughts on this? He has had 3 years in Chicago getting top minutes and playing with the top players.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If you go back to 2019 only Hughes and arguably Byram have done well from the top 5 picks. Kakko, Dach and Turcotte have been disappointing.

With regard to the top 10, it's having a 40% hit rate early which is worse than usual. Since 2000 it's had a roughly 70% hit rate in terms of at least getting a top 6 F or top 4 D.

In terms of guys from the top 10 that are underperforming that could still hit, I think the best bets are Kakko and Cozens. Kakko has strong underlying numbers, and Cozens has an outside chance to get 40 points this year.
Exactly. Rare is it that a player can enter this league and look like they did at lower levels and the stats prove it.

Shoot, I can remember a certain Guy Lafleur looking ok (in Q speak) .... but not nearly what he was supposed to be in his first few NHL seasons. And as we all know he ended up a Hall-of-Famer and one of the best Habs ever. Dach has a long way to go in his game but he has the physical tools and I think the leadership attitude that gives him the potential to be a special player.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Exactly. Rare is it that a player can enter this league and look like they did at lower levels and the stats prove it.

Shoot, I can remember a certain Guy Lafleur looking ok (in Q speak) .... but not nearly what he was supposed to be in his first few NHL seasons. And as we all know he ended up a Hall-of-Famer and one of the best Habs ever. Dach has a long way to go in his game but he has the physical tools and I think the leadership attitude that gives him the potential to be a special player.
What exactly are Dach's leadership qualities either on or off ice?

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
If you watched the game when he was mic'ed up you would hear it.
I have been a critic of his play in general but I am quite willing to give the kid a chance.

All I see is soft and entitled with him. I'd love to see the upside right now and be wrong! This kid is going to ask for the moon as an RFA and he isn't worth it.

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
All I see is soft and entitled with him. I'd love to see the upside right now and be wrong! This kid is going to ask for the moon as an RFA and he isn't worth it.
What are you basing his “ask for the moon” on??? His less than 10 goals a season? His sub 40% face off percentage?
Edit: less than 35% actually.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I offer him something between league minimum and what soft, non scoring, non PKing, 3rd line wingers make.
So between 1 and 2 mill. 2 years.
If he thinks he’s worth more he can bring back an offer sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad