GDT: Da NFL Draft

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Winston makes too many bad decisions on and off the field. The crab legs, the sexual assault, cursing at a public appearance. And too many people in his life have to make excuses. It's comical. If he weren't the Heisman winning quarterback, Fisher would have kicked him off the team long ago. The FSU comeback last year was legendary-overestimate opponent, come back in thrilling come-from-behind fashion. On offense he had ridiculous tools to work with, no one could stop him. To be honest, in the two games that I watched and actively rooted against the Seminoles, I was much more afraid of their running back, whom neither NCSU nor GT stop. Not Winston.

In short, he faced little adversity in his college career, and that he did was excused away by those closest to him, and was often the result of his own ****-ups, on and off the field. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to playing for the Buccaneers. Relatively speaking, the Buccaneers are as a far away from being the equivalent of last two years' FSU in the ACC as you can get.

That said, I think he has excellent skill and talent. Athletically, he is everything you want in a quarterback, just not sure if the head is there. EDIT: The Bucs spent 100+ manhours talking to people about his character, so to them, that is not a concern.

And it'll be sad to see him be allowed by the coaching staff to make the throws that they would not allow Glennon. Hearing the Bucs talk about the "pocket passer of the future"....what the hell do you think Glennon was good at? His only above average NFL quality?? Why did you restrict him to slant routes or screen plays???? whatever

Last edited:

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I really think he'll be fine (on the field). He's got Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans to throw the ball to.

If we can grab either Clemmings or Fisher at #34 and nab a guard in the 3rd to shore up the offensive line, I think we've got the makings of a pretty good offense. The combo of Martin/Rainey/Sims/James is a decent rotation in the backfield.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Kiper is on the radio now, said biggest "surprise" was the Panthers pick of Shaq Thompson. Wonders how he's going to fit in on that D. And said he was ranked #52 and ended up going #25.

Just goes to show that teams have their own rankings, as Gettleman stated he was BPA on their board.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Kiper is on the radio now, said biggest "surprise" was the Panthers pick of Shaq Thompson. Wonders how he's going to fit in on that D. And said he was ranked #52 and ended up going #25.

Just goes to show that teams have their own rankings, as Gettleman stated he was BPA on their board.

Plus Kiper isn't ranking based on individual team need or anything like that. As evidenced by Malcom Brown being his #12 ranked player and falling down to #32.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

I think should have went for a OG, Panthers LB core isn't the problem. Gross leaving was the biggest loss to the team.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Well Gross retired two years ago, played OT, and no one was available that wasn't a reach or La'el Collins -- a good player but in the middle of a concerning investigation.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I think they're pretty high on Michael Oher anyway. He can't possibly be any worse than Byron Bell.

I find it hilarious that we compare any LB we draft to Kuechly or Davis by default, but any OT discussed is decent enough if he will "not be any worse than Byron Bell".

Such is life as a Panthers fan.:laugh:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
now to see if the rumors of us taking Gregory in the 2nd are true. There was some speculation we wanted to trade back into the end of the 1st to get him if he fell, which he predictably did.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
^ considering you took him 3rd overall in the HF mock I think you'd be okay with that

I find it hilarious that we compare any LB we draft to Kuechly or Davis by default, but any OT discussed is decent enough if he will "not be any worse than Byron Bell".

Such is life as a Panthers fan.:laugh:

Oh I still have hope they'll find someone decent in the latter rounds.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
^ considering you took him 3rd overall in the HF mock I think you'd be okay with that

Oh I still have hope they'll find someone decent in the latter rounds.

It wasn't meant as a comment that we wouldn't find a tackle in a draft, but just rather that we are perceiving talent level based on what exists (or existed) on the roster.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I just need to keep telling myself that Gettleman knows what he's doing...

Edit: To clarify, I don't have a problem with Funchess, but trading our 2, 3, and 6 picks to move up 16 spots? I guess G-Man was really high on him and thought somebody else would snag him between 41 and 57.

Last edited:

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Based on the presser, sounds like our round 2 targets were flying off the board and Gettleman said he counted 6 teams that needed a WR between 41 and 57. If you go by the trade value charts, the 41st is actually slightly more valuable than the combo of picks we gave up. And with 9 picks, had to think a trade was coming eventually. Wouldn't be surprised to see a move back up into the 3rd, too.

Funchess isn't without his faults, but I'm pretty excited about seeing him and KB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad