Confirmed with Link: D Yevgeni Medvedev signed [Reported 1yr, $3mil] May 2015

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The problem with Medvedev is simple, he's 33, not 23.

Which means the mistakes that you'd be patient with if he was 23 you won't tolerate when there's no upside.

Age is irrelevant when we're talking about right now, nobody is suggesting signing him to a long contract. All that matters is that right now he's better than Manning and should be playing. Both make mistakes all the time, but at least Medvedev can help the team in other ways to start to make up for it. Manning doesn't.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Manning is more than serviceable as a 6/7 Dman. He will resign for around $800,000 and be the perfect teammate to have around. He can play somewhat physical and HAS IMPROVED from the beginning of the season.
One can only hope. My guess is he re-signs for $800,000, though.

Age is irrelevant when we're talking about right now, nobody is suggesting signing him to a long contract. All that matters is that right now he's better than Manning and should be playing. Both make mistakes all the time, but at least Medvedev can help the team in other ways to start to make up for it. Manning doesn't.
Yeah, this really isn't the time to be talking about who has better upside for the future, all that matters is the present. I don't hate Manning and I think he's serviceable, but to play him over Medvedev? No chance. He's much better offensively, even if his defensive game isn't his strongest point (relative to other NHL defensemen, of course).

On a related note, are there any rumors about Medvedev being re-signed? Or is this all he wrote?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One can only hope. My guess is he re-signs for $800,000, though.

Yeah, this really isn't the time to be talking about who has better upside for the future, all that matters is the present. I don't hate Manning and I think he's serviceable, but to play him over Medvedev? No chance. He's much better offensively, even if his defensive game isn't his strongest point (relative to other NHL defensemen, of course).

On a related note, are there any rumors about Medvedev being re-signed? Or is this all he wrote?

Would you re-sign here after the "chance" we have him?

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
This handling of Med bums me out. I don't think he got a fair shake for someone as mobile and skilled as he is. He played a different style of hockey his whole life and was put into a North American game. Habits need to be broken. Maybe it was enough time to adjust, but I don't know about that.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Would you re-sign here after the "chance" we have him?
I don't know, it would depend on the alternative options I had. I could see him not going full Gus on this, but if the Flyers made an offer that was better than what he could get from other teams (be it in the NHL or the KHL), I don't see why not.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I think the Medvedev experiment was worth a shot but it just didn't pan out for the Flyers. Only way he stays in NA is if some team with a few Russians gives him an offer.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Only if he gets deported. Jaret Stoll got another contract after getting caught with coke.

Could he really get deported based on just a DUI charge?

Edit: Under the assumiption that Meds was caught with alcohol and nothing else.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
What the hell Meds? He doesn't looke like that type of guy who would do something like that. Maybe it was just unfortunate coincidence. Here goes his NHL chances. Teams will probably stay away from him now. At least there is still KHL for Meds. :)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Lower Moreland police are rough..not the place to drive with a buzz on, that's for sure. I work right up there street from where this happened and I drive like a choir boy to and from work.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
O'Reilly got drunk and drove his car through the front of a business. This won't effect Meds ability to get another contract.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
O'Reilly got drunk and drove his car through the front of a business. This won't effect Meds ability to get another contract.

There is a big difference between O'Reilly and Medvedev. One is an established NHL player in his prime years. Other is not. It will affect his chances, most likely. He can't afford to have these kind of problems. I wish only the best for Meds and his family but it will be tough for him, to find a good fit in the NHL now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There is a big difference between O'Reilly and Medvedev. One is an established NHL player in his prime years. Other is not. It will affect his chances, most likely. He can't afford to have these kind of problems. I wish only the best for Meds and his family but it will be tough for him, to find a good fit in the NHL now.

I honestly think the biggest factor will be whether a team views him as a worthwhile piece to sign. He didn't get to show much here and isn't getting younger. The odds were already against him finding a new home in the NHL. If a team out there believes in his ability to help them, they will look past a DUI.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Figured so. I know you America has some seemingly draconian laws but deportion from a DUI seemed a bit much even for you guys.

Yeah ROR actually happened in Canada but obviously he wasn't blocked from entering back into the US this year by the US government.

He smashed his truck into a building & fled the scene on top of the DUI so even then they didn't think it was serious enough to block him from entering the country.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah ROR actually happened in Canada but obviously he wasn't blocked from entering back into the US this year by the US government.

He smashed his truck into a building & fled the scene on top of the DUI so even then they didn't think it was serious enough to block him from entering the country.

It is amazing how drunk people survive crashes the way they do and destroy other people's lives...

Obviously in this case the casualty was a wall but it obviously wasn't him...

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Interestingly enough, i recently found out that Americans with DUI history can have some incredible difficulties getting into Canada from the US boarder.

A friend of mine had a DUI in america many years prior and they turned him away when trying to go to Canada for a vacation. I was pretty surprised especially when you see something like the ROR incident - and while presumably he is getting some punishment they did not seem to take it that seriously.

ivanthebad*

Well atleast it wasn't domestic abuse. The Flyers squeaky clean image stays intact lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad