Confirmed with Link: D Yevgeni Medvedev signed [Reported 1yr, $3mil] May 2015

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You forgot Ghost..

Making it even more unlikely that Manning is back.

I'm a dumbass, holy ****.

I cant see that happening, but if it does, Ill be in that padded room with you.

Hey, roommate! :laugh:

But yeah, I doubt it too... but I wouldn't be too surprised. If you told me before the season that Manning would play as much as he has I'd have thought you were crazy.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Manning is more than serviceable as a 6/7 Dman. He will resign for around $800,000 and be the perfect teammate to have around. He can play somewhat physical and HAS IMPROVED from the beginning of the season.

That Provo guy could end up being a dud. Just because he's a superstar in the WHL doesn't mean he's going to jump right in next year. Manning has the confidence of his coach and teammates, so it really doesn't matter what the armchair GM's on this board think.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Manning is more than serviceable as a 6/7 Dman. He will resign for around $800,000 and be the perfect teammate to have around. He can play somewhat physical and HAS IMPROVED from the beginning of the season.

That Provo guy could end up being a dud. Just because he's a superstar in the WHL doesn't mean he's going to jump right in next year. Manning has the confidence of his coach and teammates, so it really doesn't matter what the armchair GM's on this board think.
Stop.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Disappointed-Terrible-Awful-OMG-Embarassed-Embarassing-GIF.gif

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
This, more than anything you've said about Manning all season, shows how clueless you are.

Not at all. I hope he's the greatest Dman since Kerry Huffman. I'm just saying let's not crown him King of the mountain before he steps on the ice. He's a superstar in the WHL, but who's to say he will light up the NHL the same way?

2Claude2Giroux

Oct 2, 2009
Lansdowne

It's literally impossible for Provorov to be a worse d-man than Brandon Manning is right now. I know that if Provorov were to be on this Flyers team instead of Manning, he'd have a more positive impact.

Yukon Cornelius*

He is officially the new Wolfy. Actually, I'm sure Wolfy wishes he could strive to be boxcar.

Anyways, Meds should be in over Manning. End of story.

End of story...Medvedev and Manning are two completely different players and hardly interchangeable for one another.

Medvedev, much like former HF folk hero Erik Gustaffsson, has repeatedly shown that he cannot hold up to any type of physical forecheck. He panics, much like Gustaffson did, and coughs up the puck. You guys remeber Gustaffson right? It's remarkable how many of the same people dog-piling Manning are the same ones Championing lil' Erik a few seasons ago as the great saviour of the Flyers' back end.

Manning is hot garbage and in no way should be playing 20 min+ in the Playoffs but he can play a physical game which is what we need against Washington's superiour size. The hatred for Manning is borderline hilarious but expected. If I've learned anything here, it's that blaming all your woes on the #6 D is not only expected, it's encouraged.

Like Grossmann, Manning serves a role and occupies a temporary spot until better players can come along but again, much like Erik Gustaffson, Medvedev is not that player nor is Samual Morin who sadly is just not as far along in his development to risk potentially stunting him.

We're going to lose this Series and it's not going to be because of Brendan effin' Manning. He may contribute to that loss but no more or less than an anemic Power Play, shoddy goaltending and an absentee first line will.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Except that Medvedev is currently a better player.

In what world is good offense + bad defense (Medvedev) worse than bad offense + bad defense (Manning)?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
End of story...Medvedev and Manning are two completely different players and hardly interchangeable for one another.

Medvedev, much like former HF folk hero Erik Gustaffsson, has repeatedly shown that he cannot hold up to any type of physical forecheck. He panics, much like Gustaffson did, and coughs up the puck. You guys remeber Gustaffson right? It's remarkable how many of the same people dog-piling Manning are the same ones Championing lil' Erik a few seasons ago as the great saviour of the Flyers' back end.

Manning is hot garbage and in no way should be playing 20 min+ in the Playoffs but he can play a physical game which is what we need against Washington's superiour size. The hatred for Manning is borderline hilarious but expected. If I've learned anything here, it's that blaming all your woes on the #6 D is not only expected, it's encouraged.

Like Grossmann, Manning serves a role and occupies a temporary spot until better players can come along but again, much like Erik Gustaffson, Medvedev is not that player nor is Samual Morin who sadly is just not as far along in his development to risk potentially stunting him.

We're going to lose this Series and it's not going to be because of Brendan effin' Manning. He may contribute to that loss but no more or less than an anemic Power Play, shoddy goaltending and an absentee first line will.

Neither of those spellings are correct. The correct spelling is Gustafsson.

First half of that sentence is incorrect. Medvedev is better than Manning in every way.

The second half is correct. You can't have Morin make his NHL debut in a must-win game against the best team in 20 years.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I was reading the thread and it sounds like Medvedev has been in the coaches doghouse throughout the year, and deserved better. Some of you are doubting he returns to Philly, which will lead to him being a UFA. My next question is if he is a reliable 3rd pair guy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Reliable isn't the word I would use, but he's talented enough to play on someone's 3rd pair.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I was reading the thread and it sounds like Medvedev has been in the coaches doghouse throughout the year, and deserved better. Some of you are doubting he returns to Philly, which will lead to him being a UFA. My next question is if he is a reliable 3rd pair guy.

If you didn't like Trevor Daley then you probably won't fall in love with Medvedev's style of play. He drives possession but is lacking consistency, making questionable decisions with the pucks in his own zone.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA

He makes your jaw drop for good reasons and bad. Take that as you will :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with Medvedev is simple, he's 33, not 23.

Which means the mistakes that you'd be patient with if he was 23 you won't tolerate when there's no upside.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
As the season is approaching it's end(?), Medvedev is probably the only spot that I look at and say, "That was a mistake from up top that couldn't be corrected."

The plus side, live and learn, it was only this season affected. Nice to know they are willing to take chances, which aren't called promises cause no one knows.

I like Medvedev more than Manning, but I get why Manning is in the line-up instead. This team needs more skill, but it needs defensive awareness/responsibility even more.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The problem with Medvedev is simple, he's 33, not 23.

Which means the mistakes that you'd be patient with if he was 23 you won't tolerate when there's no upside.

there's not really much upside with Manning. He tops out as a No. 6 defenseman. For that matter, the same for Schultz and MacDonald.

Medvedev's ceiling is to by a legit top 4 defenseman who could be a plus special teams player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad