D Ville Heinola - Manitoba Moose, AHL (2019, 20th, WPG)

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
He's been decent in the offensive zone, but the whole team has been in shambles defensively. Lots of undisciplined penalties too.

Reactions: 1OApick

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
love his overall game, great edge, but he lacks top end speed. I think Harley would be a better gamble for the Habs if theres no interresting foward left on the board.

Reactions: Vachon23

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Surprised to see him playing so poorly. Had high hopes for the Canucks drafting him at 10....

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, that certainly wasn't a Heiskanen-calibre tournament by him. What a terrible performance overall. Wouldn't be surprised to see his draft stock sink. Then again, that's the case for every Finn.

Reactions: 1OApick

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Well, that certainly wasn't a Heiskanen-calibre tournament by him. What a terrible performance overall. Wouldn't be surprised to see his draft stock sink. Then again, that's the case for every Finn.
Definitely coaching problem mostly. But when team don't have that succes you cannot hype players. Disappointing tournament from all the Finnish players.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Hopefully we can now stop talking about Heinola and Heiskanen in same context after these U18 WJC showings.
There's no way Heinola will end as good NHL defenseman than Heiskanen.

It's been ridiculous to even compare Heinola to Heiskanen.
Heiskanen is 3 to 5 years away of being Norris trophy level defenseman in NHL.

Meanwhile Heinola isn't necessarily even NHL player.
Don't get me wrong Heinola will get drafted this June but not in TOP15.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Hopefully we can now stop talking about Heinola and Heiskanen in same context after these U18 WJC showings.

Heiskanen is 3 to 5 years away of being Norris level defenseman in NHL.

Meanwhile Heinola isn't necessarily even NHL player ( to me Heinola is similar to Anttoni Honka).
Agree with everything you said but Heinola is nothing like Honka

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think his upside is very high. We see every season that there's a Finnish defensemen or two who takes regular shifts in Liiga. This guy did that this season, and put up some good point totals on a good team, but he doesn't do much that stands out. Thats not to say I think he won't be an NHL'er, but I don't see very high upside. Looks like a third pairing defensemen, in my opinion. Someone's going to pick this guy in the 15-25 range. I wouldn't want it to be my team. We already picked Ville Heinola last draft by picking Nils Lundkvist.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Heiskanen is 3 to 5 years away of being Norris trophy level defenseman in NHL.

Meanwhile Heinola isn't necessarily even NHL player.

Agreed. Heinola is more in the Jokiharju/Välimäki/Vaakanainen tier.

By the way how would you rank the Finnish defenseman prospects?

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Disappointing tournament, but he still was the best Finnish D. He's no Heiskanen, but people shouldn't overreact to his performances here either. Comparing him to Anttoni Honka is laughable, Honka is already a write-off at this point when it comes down to making it to the NHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think his upside is very high. We see every season that there's a Finnish defensemen or two who takes regular shifts in Liiga. This guy did that this season, and put up some good point totals on a good team, but he doesn't do much that stands out. Thats not to say I think he won't be an NHL'er, but I don't see very high upside. Looks like a third pairing defensemen, in my opinion. Someone's going to pick this guy in the 15-25 range. I wouldn't want it to be my team. We already picked Ville Heinola last draft by picking Nils Lundkvist.
Some good point totals on a good team, huh? Just the highest scoring by a defenseman of his age since the 80's. Also, the team wasn't that good, with 31 wins and 29 losses. As mediocre a team as they come. Didn't know Lundkvist had the best offensive season in 30 years, learn something new every day.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad