D Ville Heinola - Manitoba Moose, AHL (2019, 20th, WPG)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's inside my Top 10 and if he plays at the u18s like I think he will he'll rise even further for me.

As was already said, he has better numbers than Heiskanen in his draft year and has a very similar frame.

He's my #1 target with the Avs own 1st round pick regardless of whether it ends up at #17 or #7. Even more so if we land Hughes or Kakko with the Sens pick and effectively solve our secondary scoring issues.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
There's a very good possibility that Montreal is picking 15th overall and I hope Heinola is on their radar.
Yeah, really like him as well! With the expansion draft coming it would be smarter to aim for a dman since we have a few good ones that might be exposed if we go the 7+3+1 model(Juulsen, Mete & Fleury all require protection). Most of our high profiles forwards and/or prospects would be protected or non-eligible (Suzuki +Poehling)

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I've been paying attention to Heinola ever since the WJC because I thought he looked solid in that tournament. I'm still not too sure about his ultimate upside as I haven't wacthd him all that much, but from the little I've seen he's made me a bit of a believer. Right now I'd have him in the 10-20 range at the draft as well as neck-and-neck against other defensemen in Soderstrom and Seider for the right to be the second defenseman named on draft day.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's inside my Top 10 and if he plays at the u18s like I think he will he'll rise even further for me.

As was already said, he has better numbers than Heiskanen in his draft year and has a very similar frame.

He's my #1 target with the Avs own 1st round pick regardless of whether it ends up at #17 or #7. Even more so if we land Hughes or Kakko with the Sens pick and effectively solve our secondary scoring issues.

What exactly is your top 10?

I see him as a 15-20 guy realistically as there is alot of top end guys vying for the top 10 spots.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

I see him as a 15-20 guy realistically as there is alot of top end guys vying for the top 10 spots.

Yea he's not a top 10 pick. He could be a steal similar to Aho and he's really interesting but he's not worth risking such a high pick on.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Right now I have:

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Byram
Podkolzin

Those 6 are a lock to go Top 10. After that you have a huge number of guys that could go anywhere from 5th to ~15th right now. Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Heinola, York, Soderstrom, Knight, Boldy, Dorofeyev, and Caufield are all a part of that group but I have Heinola at 10 within that group right now.

Yea he's not a top 10 pick. He could be a steal similar to Aho and he's really interesting but he's not worth risking such a high pick on.

We'll see. 2 years ago Heiskanen wasn't considered a top 15 pick at this time either because he was underscouted. Then the U18s happened and everyone got a good look at just how good he was.

I'm anticipating a similar result with Heinola.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
I think he's a clear top15 pick at the moment, with potential to climb inside the top10 depending on how the remainder of the season goes.

Going to be tough to crack the top10 with all the centers available. There's a good chance he's the 2nd dman off the board though, which is probably the better way to look at it.

You have Kakko, Hughes, Cozens, Dach, Krebs, Turcotte, Zegras at C then Byram on D and Podkolzin at W. That's 9 guys there. Boldy is another W that's consistently rated in the top 10 too.

Still lots of hockey for him to boost his ranking though.

Reactions: FinnishSniper

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Right now I have:

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Byram
Podkolzin

Those 6 are a lock to go Top 10. After that you have a huge number of guys that could go anywhere from 5th to ~15th right now. Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Heinola, York, Soderstrom, Knight, Boldy, Dorofeyev, and Caufield are all a part of that group but I have Heinola at 10 within that group right now.

We'll see. 2 years ago Heiskanen wasn't considered a top 15 pick at this time either because he was underscouted. Then the U18s happened and everyone got a good look at just how good he was.

He is clearly behind some of the guys you listed.

He really looks more like a guy who will be picked 15th to 25th.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He is clearly behind some of the guys you listed.

He really looks more like a guy who will be picked 15th to 25th.
He should be ahead of that with production alone. Early in the season he got rather low ice time. After he started receiving around 20 minutes per game in his last 22 games, he has 13 points which is a higher pace than Kotkaniemi's during his draft season, for example. And that pace grew even greater towards the end of the season with 8 points in his last 11 games. The trajectory is very impressive there. Of course, the individual tools matter, but scoring is a pretty strong indicator. His scoring pace is the greatest for a u18 defenseman in almost 40 years(playing a decent number of games), and that's without creatively filtering the first 12 games out. Also, he's PPG in the playoffs so far(2 points in 2 games).

Even if skating is an issue, in today's NHL it's something that can be worked on. See Dylan Strome, a terrible skater but now he's a point per game player and doing just fine. There are many slower defensemen in NHL and it's not crippling, especially considering he's expected to improve here just like any 18-year-old.

Last edited:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
He's a good technical skater, his edgework in particular is excellent. So I'm not worried about his top end speed, he's still a twig, it'll improve as he gets stronger and adds power to his stride.

Reactions: JoukoPouko

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
Hes very good at recognizing situations in the offensive zone as he shows when hes pinching and taking steps deep forward to create space to himself and his teammates. He looks like a safe bet for sure, but Im not ready to wage any for his draft position, as I dont do it in any prospect's case, not especially if I dont have any clue of ones strenghts and cons.

Skating might be his concerns and 1vs1 situations in puck/board battles, but his IQ makes him such intriguing prospect definetly.

He might have looked a bit nervous in poffs as his decision-making at times hasnt been the best one, but if and only IF Lukko hands JYP out tonight, I bet his confidence level will get there any time soon, atleast in U-18 WC.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

You could be right, he's definitely a potential high-reward prospect and was IMO the most intriguing one to watch for Finland in the WJCs. My point is that as of today I don't think teams would risk a top 10 pick on him until they get a better assessment of him.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
As the 2019 draft is most likely going to be very forward heavy at the top, there is definitely room for a late rising dman in top 10.

Of course Heinola needs to finish strong at the WJC18 but more often than not there are teams with a high pick desperately looking for a dman.

Reactions: FinnishSniper

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
Looked like a different guy in game #3. Was very impressive overall and what I like about him is that he's able to bring his A-game when its needed the most.

He was sound defensively giving a pressure to puck carrier at the right time and enough, that he didnt play himself out. Was a lot more confident with the puck staying with it longer and recognized when to give it to his teammates. On one shift he even skated twice around the offensive zone that reminded me more Kakko than Heinola. Thats how he look when he has confidence. He is able to create room making deceptive moves and making opponent to think he tries something that is easily expected but uses headfakes and "puck-twists" among other maneuvers to fool forecheckers. Aswell as when in own zone or neutral zone those sharp turns to change his options. That also indicates about his high IQ.

He has definetly opened many eyes during this ssn and I bet he still havent got enough credit he definetly deserves what comes to his performances, cuz Kakko right now (ofc deserved aswell) steals the main headlines in finnish media, cuz hes fighting for the first overall pick in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad