D Ville Heinola - Manitoba Moose, AHL (2019, 20th, WPG)

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
Saarijärvi's not outplaying Heinola and the difference between the two is that Heinola's going to be an NHL player soon.

Well this false argument at finest. Saarijärvi have been clear #1 def in Lukko where Heinola had rocky start.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Heinola has quietly moved into the lead in even-strength points / 60 among D in the Liiga. He's also top-10 in CF%, and tops on his team. The kid is a good.

Here's his latest assist... so much to like about this (especially how he freezes the D and creates time and space for his D partner).

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Feels even more like last year was a sad kid playing in a league he didn't feel like playing in. It's what happens with kids sometimes.

Nice to see him play as well as he has played this year.

Agreed. He was clearly a top 3 dman for the Jets early last year and certainly deserved the spot. I think the Jets were trying to do the right thing for his future and the teams future in demoting him, but that’s hard to take when you’re the one getting “punished” for doing a great job.

I think now he’s clearly over it and he wants a spot in the top 4 and, by golly, I think he’ll do just that.

Reactions: FinPanda

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
What are you skeptical about ? He literally doesnt have one weakness. I guess he's not 6'3 and doesn't skate as fast as Heiskanen, but his lateraly mobility is as good as it gets.
He is mobile yes, but i doubt he has the hockey IQ to become a true 1D in the NHL.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Legit top 4 D, smart, poised and good stick. I don’t a legit NHL #1D but he has a very good chance to become a 35-45 pt two way stud. Probly a #2 or #3 but jack of all trades type.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As a Jets' fan, I'm hoping for another Enstrom or Spurgeon. He's very smart, has great vision, and good mobility.

Reactions: ps241

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Honestly, I ranked him 7th on my board in 2019 and 2nd defender behind Byram.

I note that Ottawa had preferred to take Thomson in 19 when he was available.

Belhammer16

Nov 20, 2011
Wow is all I can say, the numbers aren't there during the World Juniors but he looks so special.

Absolutely dominating the play when he's on the ice which seems like half of the game. Jets got a good one with him.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I've been equally impressed with him as Zegras, Cozens and Stutzle. He's been that good

Been watching him fairly closely along with the rest of Finland the entire tournament. He hasn’t been all that impressive. He’s shown flashes at times, and today was probably his best game. But not even close to being one of the best players of the tournament thus far.

Belhammer16

Nov 20, 2011
Been watching him fairly closely along with the rest of Finland the entire tournament. He hasn’t been all that impressive. He’s shown flashes at times, and today was probably his best game. But not even close to being one of the best players of the tournament thus far.
You obviously haven't been watching very closely. Everytime he's on the ice he's controlling the play, he's been great all tourney and should be on the tourney all star team

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
Heiskanen & Heinola could very well anchor some awesome top two pairings if there ever were best on best tournaments...

I would seriously love to see if the constant presence of either of them could help our lovely, yet slightly boneheaded specimen Risto find his raw game again.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
You obviously haven't been watching very closely. Everytime he's on the ice he's controlling the play, he's been great all tourney and should be on the tourney all star team

I have. He hasn’t. Today was his best game. But overall, he wasn’t even the most impressive defenseman for his team to this point. Niemela has been a surprise to me. Obviously Heinola is more heavily relied upon, but I think Niemela has done more with less opportunity. And before you jump on me, I’m not saying he’s the better prospect - not even close. Literally just critiquing their tournament play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad