D Ville Heinola - Manitoba Moose, AHL (2019, 20th, WPG)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I like him much more than Mikko Kokkonen myself. And honestly, I don't get why he's only considered a late 1st round pick. 5 points in 5 games since returning from injury and he's looked fantastic everywhere, even the u20s when he played. Yes yes, I get it, Finnish homer and all, but with his stats alone he should be an easy consideration top 10. And the eye test and trajectory help immensely.

If he actually ends up going past pick ~15 during this draft year which I don't consider particularly strong, that'll be a candidate to be the steal of the draft IMO.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I have seen his numbers and offensive ability. How's his defensive play and skating?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I have seen his numbers and offensive ability. How's his defensive play and skating?
Defensively he's really good, apart from the fact that he's not that big or heavy and hence can get outmuscled but I guess that's to be expected.

Skating is very good. Perhaps not Heiskanen level but very good. Not a Kokkonen for sure.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I see him as a Heiskanen-copy, but not with the incredible skating that Miro has. He is a lock for top-20 in my books, clearly the best finnish D-man for this draft.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I see him as a Heiskanen-copy, but not with the incredible skating that Miro has. He is a lock for top-20 in my books, clearly the best finnish D-man for this draft.
I pretty much agree. It does seem to me though that Heinola might have a bit higher hockey IQ than Heiskanen. This is of course pretty difficult to evaluate, but I do think that I have usually got a pretty good picture of which prospects have really higher IQ's and which ones lack it. Don't get me wrong though - Heiskanen has also pretty high hockey IQ, but it just seems to me so far that Heinola might have even higher.

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
I pretty much agree. It does seem to me though that Heinola might have a bit higher hockey IQ than Heiskanen. This is of course pretty difficult to evaluate, but I do think that I have usually got a pretty good picture of which prospects have really higher IQ's and which ones lack it. Don't get me wrong though - Heiskanen has also pretty high hockey IQ, but it just seems to me so far that Heinola might have even higher.

If you have a guy, who thinks the game at a high enough level, then shouldn't there just be a ceiling at some point. I mean, I just find it kind of pointless to try to actually compare two super-smart players by their hockey iqs. At that point I'd say the analysis gets too biased by the surroundings of each player. It's a team sport in the end, and the iq is being at the right place at the right time doing the right thing. And these special guys, perhaps unconsciously, think where they should be next. I think it's impossible to evaluate.

Well, no offense really. Just got some thoughts and thought I might share.

Reactions: Hokinaittii

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I think when comparing Heinola and Heiskanen at 17, you could argue they seem quite similar but I'd still give Heiskanen the edge over his more solid two way game. Heinola seems to focus a bit more on the offence than Heiskanen did at the same age.

I admit this kid has been flying under my radar the whole season and the first time I really focused on the kid in WJC, there were surely a lot of good things in his game but at same time I feel like he could have a lot better job in his own zone/without the puck than what he showed in WJC.

Still very exciting prospect considering he never seemed to get much talk during his time in juniors and has only recently started to show what he's capable of.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
His vision is really good, his smallish frame and good stick remind me of Heiskanen allthough Heiskanen is probably better skater, shooter and better on own end. I think Heinolas vision is better and Heinola is definiyely top15 pick for me.

Yeah, I agree, he's been my gatekeeper for my top-15 but I could see him moving higher. Look forward to seeing him at the u18s.

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
Heinola was today IMO best player in Liiga game Lukko - HIFK. Heinola is very good defensive player. He dont do bad choises in ice. Like NYR prospect Tarmo Reunanen doing 10-15 mistakes every game, Heinola does 0-3.

Last edited:

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
Stars, Canadiens & Hurricanes picking 15-25 and they like Finnish players so Heinola will goes 15-25 or early second round (big stole then)

Reactions: Spezza90

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Stars, Canadiens & Hurricanes picking 15-25 and they like Finnish players so Heinola will goes 15-25 or early second round (big stole then)

Carolina wont likely pick a dman and I doubt Dallas will either, especially LHD.

Reactions: Spezza90

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Call me crazy, but this kid is going to be a really special player and it’s going to show in the U18’s. Watch the kid rise up from 20-25 to the best D-man of the draft. My take is that he is gonna be drafted in the top 10

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Call me crazy, but this kid is going to be a really special player and it’s going to show in the U18’s. Watch the kid rise up from 20-25 to the best D-man of the draft. My take is that he is gonna be drafted in the top 10

My hope is that he's drafted in the mid-teens. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad