Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
He had a bad prospects game I think he was -4 but it’s only one game. He always makes the right play and I think he’ll be a solid #4 for years to come
Great pick!!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm trying to find anything negative about him, and other than the token HFBoards contrarians I'm not finding much.

Lots of glowing things in his prospect thread.

Hockey IQ seems to be his biggest strength, and that seems to be how he makes his living without the “wow” factor some were complaining about.

He is faster then Butcher as well. Definitely seems like the potential for this to be a steal for us.

frankiedue

Jan 23, 2007
Springfield, NJ
Really happy with this pick. He led his peers in many analytical statistics, especially in creating scoring chances. He also led his peers in regular statistics. All accounts have him passing the eye test with flying colors. Great hockey sense, decision making, speed, agility, puck handling, etc. He played most of the year as a 17-year-old and he outscored his fellow Devils prospect, Colby Sissons, who we all know had a fantastic year, but is over 2 years older than Ty Smith. That is impressive.

Reactions: nugg

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Lots of glowing things in his prospect thread.

Hockey IQ seems to be his biggest strength, and that seems to be how he makes his living without the “wow” factor some were complaining about.

He is faster then Butcher as well. Definitely seems like the potential for this to be a steal for us.

Bob McKenzie is "Some"

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Not only is he a great offensive defenseman as evidence of his numbers, but seems to be a character guy too. He was the captain for team Canada at the U18s I believe. This was the perfect scenario IMO. He was the BPA and he fills an organizational need.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
BTW, I'm thinking Smith still has room to grow. I think I grew an additional 2 inches after highschool. Then again, I presume most of these kids do.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
BTW, I'm thinking Smith still has room to grow. I think I grew an additional 2 inches after highschool. Then again, I presume most of these kids do.
I doubt that Smith has to do much more than that to make the NHL. I'm betting his game is probably close to or already is at the level where he could play in the league, he just needs to get stronger so he doesn't get pushed around as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad