Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Haven't paid attention to this draft at all, but wow, I am reading myself into a whole shit ton of enthusiasm about this pick. Love everything I'm reading - Duncan Keith, high IQ, skates well, high character, poised, blah blah blah. All the shit I'm biased towards, hah.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
3. Ty Smith one of my favorite prospects in this draft. Although he is one of many super-fast, offensive-minded and undersized defensemen in this draft, he is also outstanding defensively. He has elite vision and intelligence, and he is as competitive as any player available. Reminds me a lot of a young Duncan Keith. Chances he comes to NJ: possible. If Smith somehow falls past the Islanders at 11/12? Dallas and Philadelphia have recently used several high picks at LD and might be reticent to do so again. Florida has greater needs at F with pick #15. That could drop him to the Avalanche at #16 or Devils at #17. It would be a nice scenario.

Reactions: My3Sons

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
3. Ty Smith one of my favorite prospects in this draft. Although he is one of many super-fast, offensive-minded and undersized defensemen in this draft, he is also outstanding defensively. He has elite vision and intelligence, and he is as competitive as any player available. Reminds me a lot of a young Duncan Keith. Chances he comes to NJ: possible. If Smith somehow falls past the Islanders at 11/12? Dallas and Philadelphia have recently used several high picks at LD and might be reticent to do so again. Florida has greater needs at F with pick #15. That could drop him to the Avalanche at #16 or Devils at #17. It would be a nice scenario.

Very nice call by Steve

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We had to take him, he was considered a better pick than 17th and it was fortunate that he fell into our lap.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
so is he now our #1 prospect?

McLeod or Smith really. It's easy to enamored by the shiny new toy, or be soured on McLeod for some just "okay" post draft seasons but it's close between them. I think I'd say Smith is our more valuable prospect in our organization right now simply based on need.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was actually hoping we'd give an asset to the Isles to trade up picks to grab him. I can't believe he fell down to us.

Reactions: Lateralous

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
STI's buddy Steve Kournianos is high on Smith

"Steve Kournianos - SportingNews/The Draft Analys - April 28: "A silky-smooth puck mover who is the cream of this year's Western Canadian draft contingent, Smith is an outstanding power-play quarterback with excellent agility and a real nose for the net. There's some Drew Doughty to his game, especially the way he handles an aggressive forecheck."

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
STI's buddy Steve Kournianos is high on Smith

"Steve Kournianos - SportingNews/The Draft Analys - April 28: "A silky-smooth puck mover who is the cream of this year's Western Canadian draft contingent, Smith is an outstanding power-play quarterback with excellent agility and a real nose for the net. There's some Drew Doughty to his game, especially the way he handles an aggressive forecheck."

I like Kournianos a lot. Really respect him. I have to take other’s word for it and he’s someone I trust a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad