D Ryker Evans - Regina Pats, WHL (2021, 35th, SEA)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
There’s going to be a lot of players that look like a reach because of the high amount of redraft players and overall limited scouting from the past season. It’s the least predictable draft.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seems to be a reach pretty much in all prospect reports other than Elite Prospects who rank him as #67. Thing that bothers me about the pick is his December 2001 birthday.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sorry to necro-bump this but this kid is a gem and hugely underrated and kinda shocked he has flown so, so hard under the radar as a second-round pick. I get it, he was picked by an expansion franchise as an overage and seen as a reach at the time, but all Evans has done since then has been going from strength to strength.

Having a bang-up rookie season in the AHL (26 GP - 18 Pts, 30 PIM and +14 for the new CVF franchise) and would not be surprised to see him on the Kraken at some point this season. Everything you want in a modern defender - can skate, poised under pressure, moves the puck really well - super smart player and while not big he's got a stout, athletic build and is strong.

He's gonna be sneaky, sneaky good and the analytics guys had this pegged early. He's a top four NHL defender in the making.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Sorry to necro-bump this but this kid is a gem and hugely underrated and kinda shocked he has flown so, so hard under the radar as a second-round pick. I get it, he was picked by an expansion franchise as an overage and seen as a reach at the time, but all Evans has done since then has been going from strength to strength.

Having a bang-up rookie season in the AHL (26 GP - 18 Pts, 30 PIM and +14 for the new CVF franchise) and would not be surprised to see him on the Kraken at some point this season. Everything you want in a modern defender - can skate, poised under pressure, moves the puck really well - super smart player and while not big he's got a stout, athletic build and is strong.

He's gonna be sneaky, sneaky good and the analytics guys had this pegged early. He's a top four NHL defender in the making.

I noticed, he's only 5'11 but racks up a fair amount of PIM. I haven't seen him play. Is he generally physical? Big checker? His defensive stats coming out of the draft looked as good as his offensive stats.

Think he'll be able to play a high end possession game like a lot of the offensive D's today?

But It looks like Seattle really could have gotten a steal there. And at a position they sorely need.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Seems to be following a similar career trajectory as size/skill comparable, Vince Dunn. Wasn't Dunn also drafted a year late?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Not sure about about Ryker Evans,haven't seen a lot of him but I'm not sure where he slots in with the Kraken? Will he take Soucy spot when and if Carson makes himself too expensive to sign?Is another year in the AHL better for Evans?Is Ryker too soft to play in the NHL or not rugged enough? Seems a lot teams are trying to develop Offense from the back-end and having a puck rushing D-man is great,having 2 or more obvoiusly are better. Is Evans that puck rushing D-man the team is trying to develop? Guess we'll have to wait and see! For now we sit and watch how the Coachella FireBirds are coming along and are a couple of wins from a berth in the AHL Calder Cup Finals Championship! You could say the Birds are Fired up

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Led rookie defensemen in assists, points, points per game, penalty in minutes, in the regular season
Leads all rookies in assists, points, points per game, +/-, penalty minutes... in the play-offs
Is 3rd in AHL play-offs points
All-Star selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad