LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShowBizPizzaBear

Aug 27, 2019
Edmonton
I mean, I'm not going to pass judgement 1 year out and I'm a huge Broberg fan, but how can you say that when Zegras has been nothing but amazing since being drafted?
Newhook and Caufield would probably be more suited to the Oilers going forward than Zegras and have also been very impressive in their draft +1's. The Oilers management is clearly very hyped on Broberg and I think it lends to him being so highly rated by Oilers fans. He's also a great skater and does crazy stuff like that Bobby Orr goal from time to time so it's easy to like him. Plus, Holland's proximity to that US team in 2018/19 still makes not picking one of those forwards easier to deal with for the time being, as its not like any of these guys are surefire NHL stars yet.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I mean, I'm not going to pass judgement 1 year out and I'm a huge Broberg fan, but how can you say that when Zegras has been nothing but amazing since being drafted?

Broberg is playing on the first pairing in the SHL right now. He's off to an excellent start and has grown a lot since the draft physically and in terms of his game by all accounts. He seems like a good pro and dedicated to his craft.

To me he seems a lot like a Jay Bouwmeester type player but with better stick handling. If Broberg ends up like that, then we landed a heck of a hockey player at that pick.

I thought most of that USNTDP was overrated in last years draft. Time will well though, these kids are still teenagers. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, I've really liked Broberg's progress this last while.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I don’t get people who are coming to this thread to pump Zegras. He’s a great prospect but he hasn’t proven much more than Broberg. SHL and NCAA are a different ball game and by NCAA standards Zegras wasn’t even that expectational.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I’m not sure how we can even compare a defenseman to a forward? This makes no sense. Totally different positions.

Broberg seems like a great pick and that’s all that should matter really...

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Broberg is playing on the first pairing in the SHL right now. He's off to an excellent start and has grown a lot since the draft physically and in terms of his game by all accounts. He seems like a good pro and dedicated to his craft.

To me he seems a lot like a Jay Bouwmeester type player but with better stick handling. If Broberg ends up like that, then we landed a heck of a hockey player at that pick.

I thought most of that USNTDP was overrated in last years draft. Time will well though, these kids are still teenagers. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, I've really liked Broberg's progress this last while.

100% agree on broberg. Which is why I love him.

Hopefully the Ducks can move Rakell for him ;)

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

1 goal 2 assists in his first SHL game this year.... not too bad :sarcasm:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I’m not sure how we can even compare a defenseman to a forward? This makes no sense. Totally different positions.

Broberg seems like a great pick and that’s all that should matter really...

Other fans come in here to get at Oiler fans because they have too much childish time on there hands

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Goal and 3 points through 2 periods so far.

Damn that was a cannon of a slap shot on that goal.

He’s on fire this preseason, is this regular season yet? I’m assuming this is the first regular season game.

The strides he’s taken since he’s been drafted are very promising.

Looks like an absolutely fantastic pick by Holland. He could still spend 2 years at the WJC for Sweden before he ages out as well.

Edit: only one more WJC tourney for Broberg.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

He’s on fire this preseason, is this regular season yet? I’m assuming this is the first regular season game.

Looks like an absolutely fantastic pick by Holland. He could still spend 2 years at the WJC for Sweden before he ages out as well.

First regular season yes. He's almost halfway up to his point total from last year.

What I've heard from Skelleftea (misspelling im sorry lol) is that Broberg was put in a more defensive role to fine tune that part of his game and this season he's played so well at camp and preseason that he's playing top pairing and top PP. He's working on his offensive game and it's going great so far (albeit only 1 game so far)

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
First regular season yes. He's almost halfway up to his point total from last year.

What I've heard from Skelleftea (misspelling im sorry lol) is that Broberg was put in a more defensive role to fine tune that part of his game and this season he's played so well at camp and preseason that he's playing top pairing and top PP. He's working on his offensive game and it's going great so far (albeit only 1 game so far)

He looks massive on the ice as well. Accounts are his up to 6’4 now.

With that skating and raw skill set he possesses along with being an extremely hardwork + dedicated pro it’s really nice to see.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
SHL season is over in April?

NHL season might only be halfway through at that point, we have no idea.

Can he join the Oilers straightaway at the end of the SHL season?

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!

He only has one more WJC before he ages out.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
1 goal 2 assists in his first SHL game this year.... not too bad :sarcasm:[/QUOTE]
But but but, Heinola is better, right? :sarcasm:

giphy1.gif

Last edited:

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
Kid looks huge, must be 6'4 right now?
I forget who it was, but someone in the Oilers organization during the playoff bubble stuff mentioned he was over 6'4" now.

He does look huge. Taller than Nurse who comes in at 6'4". He might even be 6'5" at this point, just look at him out there lol. Massive guy, and the best skater on the ice. He made a few brilliant plays in their first game, but the one in overtime to skate his way with ease into a 2 on 1 was ridiculous. Wish I had a clip of it to share here. He just blew by someone with ease. So insanely fast out there, and damn smooth too. If he improves significantly on his point totals this year, he should be one of the most hyped defensive prospects to come into the NHL in a loooong time. He's playing top pairing, top PP, and top 3 on 3 minutes. He's going to be the guy in Skelleftea this year, and the confidence he gained from playing in the training camp and exhibition games with the Oilers is more than evident. He wants to dominate out there, and he is.

Already near matched his entire point totals from last year after one game. Craziness.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I forget who it was, but someone in the Oilers organization during the playoff bubble stuff mentioned he was over 6'4" now.

He does look huge. Taller than Nurse who comes in at 6'4". He might even be 6'5" at this point, just look at him out there lol. Massive guy, and the best skater on the ice. He made a few brilliant plays in their first game, but the one in overtime to skate his way with ease into a 2 on 1 was ridiculous. Wish I had a clip of it to share here. He just blew by someone with ease. So insanely fast out there, and damn smooth too. If he improves significantly on his point totals this year, he should be one of the most hyped defensive prospects to come into the NHL in a loooong time. He's playing top pairing, top PP, and top 3 on 3 minutes. He's going to be the guy in Skelleftea this year, and the confidence he gained from playing in the training camp and exhibition games with the Oilers is more than evident. He wants to dominate out there, and he is.

Already near matched his entire point totals from last year after one game. Craziness.
I can already see haters calling him David Rundblad when he puts up 50 pts as a 19 year old D

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
SHL season is over in April?

NHL season might only be halfway through at that point, we have no idea.

Can he join the Oilers straightaway at the end of the SHL season?

No need to give him any chance at an NHL game until his SHL year is done. I think after this SHL year he should spend one year in the AHL to get use to the pro game and then come up to Edmonton (obviously get some call ups during the season)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No need to give him any chance at an NHL game until his SHL year is done. I think after this SHL year he should spend one year in the AHL to get use to the pro game and then come up to Edmonton (obviously get some call ups during the season)
Read the post you quoted and haven't read properly in like 3 attempts, hes asking about after the SHL season is done if the NHL season is still going.

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad