Confirmed with Link: D Nedomlel traded

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Probably just recognizing that he has no future with the team even at the AHL level and doing him a solid and moving him somewhere he can play a little more. The Blues org probably had a little depth hole to fill and said sure, why not. The Wings get the bonus of freeing up a contract slot. The Blues get a free depth piece for the rest of the year.

Unlikely it's a precursor to anything mind blowing. One possibility is that it's a precursor to swapping Kindl for a couple dead ends; the Wings would essentially be offering another team to take on an extra contract (which they have room for now) in exchange for the other team taking Kindl's cap. This would be good for any team that needs a spare part dman plus intends to bring in more assets than they move out (a team that wants to push out a rental for a pick + a couple prospects, for instance).

I doubt the org even made the move with a solid plan/move in place for the above or such.. It just gives them a little more flexibility come deadline/trade time.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
That doesn't make sense to me. In contract law you need at least *something* going the other way. You'll sometimes see deals being made for "$1" just to show that "consideration" going both ways because mutual consideration is important. (Hey Drapes)

Future considerations has to be *something* even if that's as small as say, the rights to negotiate with a player on an expiring contract this season or some crap like that.

Edit: actually, some googling seems to reveal that it can be almost nothing. Like literally to consider something and then not go through with it. But it can't be cash. Bizarre. Why not cash? Why literally nothing but not cash?

Cant be Cash for a simple reason: (Gretzky).

No one wants a trade for 20 million dollars. The $1 trades no one cares about. Saying you cant make it cash avoids LARGE sums being involvd.

Future considerations means this:

Something that is "Conditional"

So Lets say Nodelmel is traded for a 7th round pick IF AND ONLY IF he plays 10 games in the NHL this year.

10 Games, 1 game... doesnt matter, Nodelmel will not make the NHL this year. So technically he WONT make the condition. But this is a legal way to trade a player for nothing.

I imagine his conditional pick could include games played in the AHL for a conditional draft pick. Make it NHL, and everyone knows he wont make it.

This is what future considerations mean. It means we literally cant tell you what he was traded for because its not garaunteed.

Slapper

Oct 26, 2015
Future considerations is that if Nedomiel is suitable for 7th D in AHL the Blues has to buy Holland a beer.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
How many contracts does detroit have now, how many left to the limit?

50 players under contract
minus
5 junior-aged players not playing in the NHL (Holmstrom, Svechnikov, Turgeon, Saarijarvi and Hicketts)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

50 players under contract
minus
5 junior-aged players not playing in the NHL (Holmstrom, Svechnikov, Turgeon, Saarijarvi and Hicketts)

Speaking of those, Svechnikov, Turgeon and Hicketts will start to count next season playing pros in NA. Homer won't as long as he stays in Europe(only towards the other limit that is 80 or so) and Saarijärvi has one more year as a junior.

But we have lots of guys on expiring contracts this summer, it's honestly not an issue at any rate. The Nedomlel move is a courtesy one.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
So basically got this from St. Louis

IOU.gif

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Stand up move by Holland. Nedomiel was a victim of poor roster management, and I hope he makes the most of his opportunity in the Blues' system.

Not sure if you're trying to make a joke or what. Nedomiel becoming a full-time top 6 NHL dman is as likely as Glendenning developing into a future 1st line 110pt NHL HHOF center.

Could he be a future whipping boy (aka Lashoff), that could be a possibility. How does he fit into "poor roster management"?

Just curious

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not sure if you're trying to make a joke or what. Nedomiel becoming a full-time top 6 NHL dman is as likely as Glendenning developing into a future 1st line 110pt NHL HHOF center.

Could he be a future whipping boy (aka Lashoff), that could be a possibility. How does he fit into "poor roster management"?

Just curious

Part of it was kicking the hornet's nest, admittedly, but the roster management didn't just affect Nedomiel. If we were a bit more judicious about who we handed contracts out to (Kindl/Smith), and having largely redundant players (Quincey/Ericsson), guys like Marchenko and XO would have likely had longer looks last year. I don't think we lose much of anything on the blueline with those kids in place of some of the lesser guys we have on the blueline, and we get more payroll flexibility to boot. It also would have opened up ice time in GR for guys like Jensen, Sproul, and Nedomiel, pushing them into bigger roles.

While Nedomiel isn't the guy who is likely to most effect us with our clogged pipeline, it did put that guy's career on hold burying him in the ECHL, and I don't think it did any favors for the prospects ahead of him.

FWIW, I agree about the Lashoff comparison. A huge guy, who can bring a physical game, and eat some sheltered minutes on the third pairing...guys make NHL careers out of that.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
That doesn't make sense to me. In contract law you need at least *something* going the other way. You'll sometimes see deals being made for "$1" just to show that "consideration" going both ways because mutual consideration is important. (Hey Drapes)

Future considerations has to be *something* even if that's as small as say, the rights to negotiate with a player on an expiring contract this season or some crap like that.

Edit: actually, some googling seems to reveal that it can be almost nothing. Like literally to consider something and then not go through with it. But it can't be cash. Bizarre. Why not cash? Why literally nothing but not cash?
The future consideration is usually a conditional late rounder, and you can make it incredibly outlandish. Conditional 7th rounder. Condition: Nedomlel wins the Norris trophy.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
We have traded players for nothing a few times. Drew MacIntyre and Mike Commodore immediately come to mind. I'm sure this trade will be the same. The only interesting thing would be to see just what the conditions are and how unrealistic they are lol.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We have traded players for nothing a few times. Drew MacIntyre and Mike Commodore immediately come to mind. I'm sure this trade will be the same. The only interesting thing would be to see just what the conditions are and how unrealistic they are lol.

Wings win cup with nedomlel on the roster in a sweep

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
"Future considerations" =/= a conditional pick. It's usually just dumping a player to another team to clear a roster spot and/or salary.

On June 30, 1993, Detroit picked up a minor-leaguer from the then-Winnipeg Jets for future considerations.

"We ended up giving them a buck,'' said longtime Detroit exec Jimmy Devellano.

The return on that investment was center Kris Draper. Nobody forecast him as the glue to the "Crash Line," which helped check Detroit into three Cups in four years.

"Doug MacLean actually did that deal,'' Devellano said. "He was our assistant general manager at the time, and he was running our farm team at Adirondack. Doug knew Draper was a good minor-leaguer. So Draper went to Adirondack for three-quarters of a year and then came up to us.''

That exchange rate was not unusual.

"I acquired Dwight Foster in '83 from New Jersey for a dollar,'' said Devellano, who was the GM in Detroit that year.

Even in the dollar bin, Draper and Forster were over-priced by futures standards.

"A lot of these future considerations are nothing,'' Devellano said. "It's just somebody taking a salary, and you hope nobody ever asks you what you what you got back. You're unloading a contract, and you don't want to look like an idiot."

If the Blues return was a late round pick based on some condition, it likely would've been reported that way.

Looks like Nedomlel wasn't going to get a qualifying offer once his ELC was up this summer, so the Wings cleared the roster spot and found an opportunity for him in STL.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Hopefully he gets some playing time, IMO he should be in the AHL not the ECHL. Maybe the Blues wanted AHL depth and KH is throwing Nedomlel a bone because he has no future with the Wings organization.

Also I'd bet my left nut that this is not a precursor for another move, this is KH we're talking about guys.
The first part sounds very plausible. But I will not engage in this testicle bet - for a multitude of reasons...

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad