D Mitchell Vande Sompel - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2015, 82nd, NYI)

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Would love if he fell into the 3rd round for the Leafs which would be a steal for us. Most definately a top 60 selection. My gut feeling says he drops to the 4th round & Detroit takes a flyer on him.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Was looking at the Generals stats and saw he had 62 points in 57 games. Pretty quiet PPG for a draft eligible defender. Anyone have some additional information on him?

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
I can't believe somebody with such impressive stats in the OHL could possibly fall to the third round.. I see this guy getting picked up early/mid second round. 40th overall is my guess.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I am guessing some people may question are his stats the product of the team he plays on.

More likely, it's the question about whether someone his size can be as effective at the NHL level. It's one thing to take a chance on a 5'10 player if he's a forward with high-end skill, but it's another to take a chance on a 5'10 player if he's a defenseman.

He's definitely got the toolset. In that regard, I don't think there's any worry his stats are the product of a strong team. I think it's more size-related.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Size will be a red flag because of lack of durability and the amount of injuries he has already dealt with.

Certainly puts a snag in outright valuing him on talent alone, which is about equivalent to a non-headcase Tony DeAngelo.

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
this kid is the best defenseman in the draft behind Werenski, Provorov and Hanifin. Should be a top 20-25 pick, i think he'd be a good defense man or forward as he has played both in the OHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Huge fan of MVS.

He reminds me a lot of a Duncan Keith-esque playing style in a Tyson Barrie body. His ability to make plays in limited time frames is a fantastic quality who, IMO, is only shared by Connor McDavid and Nick Merkley for this draft. This ability also suckers in players creating space for others. If he was just a couple inches taller, I think he would be a legitimate top 20-25 player. And maybe someone will go off the board with him and select him in the late 1st round. If Tyson Barrie can succeed being under-framed, than Vande Sompel can too.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Very impressed with him during the Memorial Cup. Other than his size he seems a really complete player. High compete level, great skater, passing and shooting top notch, defensively he battles hard and made some great defensive plays, most notably in the 3rd period of the final against Kelowna. I was most impressed by his hockey IQ, especially with the puck on his stick.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If the Generals were a football team, he’d be their quarterback, especially on the power play. It was during his three-week absence with an injury when Oshawa’s talent-rich forwards struggled mightily with the man advantage, slipping from first to third thanks to a 4-for-32 skid with Vande Sompel on the shelf. His cat-like reflexes, soft hands and decisiveness with the puck make him difficult to not only defend against, but almost impossible to replace. Vande Sompel is an excellent skater with a smooth stride, very good speed and mobility, and can turn quicker than most playing his position. His shot and passes are both made with authority and without hesitation. He is a very hard player to telegraph when he has the puck behind his net because of his unpredictability; if you try to box him in with a static forecheck, he’ll split them with a hard 100-foot pass. If defenders go into a zone, he’ll use the time and space to either burst through openings, or lure opponents towards him before saucering a pass towards the attack with them heading the wrong direction.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/mitchell-vande-sompel/

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Mike Morreale
‏@mikemorrealeNHL
ICYMI: Sea Dogs defenseman Thomas Chabot (1st Rd, Senators) will replace Mitchell Vande Sompel (inj.) at CAN national jr dev camp in Cal.

Well this sucks, It's going to be hard for him to make the team as is, but without getting to show his stuff in the summer evaluation camp it will be even harder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad