D Mitchell Vande Sompel - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2015, 82nd, NYI)

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Kid currently plays for the Generals in the OHL, offensive blueliner. I'm shocked he's not more talked about - he'll need to add bulk, but the times I've seen him play he has been lights out good. Reminds me a bit of PK Subban, but could add more of PK's mean streak.

Anyone else surprised he's not more talked about?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Mid year he looked like a guy who could rocket ala Julius Honka next year. Small, Ho Sang-ish skating and handle. Very skilled...he actually played some forward in the playoffs, which is something to note and monitor.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Glad to see others value him like that - I think he turns into a late 1st rounder... has way too much skill, but correctly stated he's undersized.

I'd like to see him further developed as a blueliner.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Mid year he looked like a guy who could rocket ala Julius Honka next year. Small, Ho Sang-ish skating and handle. Very skilled...he actually played some forward in the playoffs, which is something to note and monitor.

What do you think his ceiling is at this point?

Granted it's early, but I see a little Brian Rafalski in him... a Marc-Andre Bergeron at his worst.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
What do you think his ceiling is at this point?

Granted it's early, but I see a little Brian Rafalski in him... a Marc-Andre Bergeron at his worst.

He has the innate skills you can't teach, so compare him to any elite puckmover and that's close. Next year is all about showing he can advance offensively and has the pro awareness in his defensive game.

Unfortunately, recent history shows that unless he produces like a forward, first round is a long shot if he can't grow to 6'.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Favorite 2015 eligible defenseman from the OHL.

I prefer Travis Dermott, and I'm not just being a homer here. I think he is a bit more poised on the blueline and smoother in possession. Vande Sompel is an awesome player though.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
He has the innate skills you can't teach, so compare him to any elite puckmover and that's close. Next year is all about showing he can advance offensively and has the pro awareness in his defensive game.

Unfortunately, recent history shows that unless he produces like a forward, first round is a long shot if he can't grow to 6'.

Excellent point - there seems to be a greater willingness to draft small when it comes to forwards. If he could fill out his frame, he may be a bit more capable to handle bigger, stronger forwards.

bigdogsnipedaddy

Mar 2, 2012
I prefer Travis Dermott, and I'm not just being a homer here. I think he is a bit more poised on the blueline and smoother in possession. Vande Sompel is an awesome player though.

I watched Vande Sompel about 5 times this past season and he is a very good player. Good vision, skates well, many opportunities on a good General team.
Not sure of his size but looks about 5'10 from the stands.
Dermott gives you better offensive skill and doesn't lack in the defensive zone. he is approx. 6' from what I have heard and built like a truck which allows him to battle well in his own end without losing his quickness with the puck.

Will be interesting to see how many Dmen are picked in the first round in 2015.
Both should be ranked very high in the draft imo.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Wondering if he sticks up on forward next year. He was a crafty center when given the spot work - Smart on the puck and had a good engine.

With Laughton leaving and Cassels jumping up to 1C; wondering if MVS is given a chance to fly at C?

PPQB written all over him, could see a R.Ellis type of player from Jr if given the minutes on the backend and PP. Not all that bad that he is versatile either.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
This season wasn't Vande Sompel's first time playing forward. He split almost 50/50 during his season with the London Jr. Knights in 12-13.

He was a little injury prone that season and suffered a concussion this season. I like his skill level, his skating, offensive awareness. It should be interesting to see how he progresses, if he gains size (height/muscle) and can get through a season without any injury concerns it should make it a little easier for NHL team's to take a shot at him.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This season wasn't Vande Sompel's first time playing forward. He split almost 50/50 during his season with the London Jr. Knights in 12-13.

He was a little injury prone that season and suffered a concussion this season. I like his skill level, his skating, offensive awareness. It should be interesting to see how he progresses, if he gains size (height/muscle) and can get through a season without any injury concerns it should make it a little easier for NHL team's to take a shot at him.

Agree.

He screams 'boom type prospect' that will go later in the draft. A type of player that fans will say "Wow, how did he go 3rd round"

Smallish prospects may emerge in todays NHL with the success of the Zuccarello's of the league.

Look forward to his progression. I know a trainer in the room, so it is always nice to hear the 'personal' - where his head is at - and off ice things.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
He is a stud. Decision making and passing ability is excellent, skating is quick, fluent and powerful. Size will be the only deterrent to where he gets drafter. 2015 will be so deep with OHL talent.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This guy any good? I just looked at Oshawa's stat sheet tonight and he had like 5 points(1G, 4A). He has 17 points in 13 games for the season

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This guy any good? I just looked at Oshawa's stat sheet tonight and he had like 5 points(1G, 4A). He has 17 points in 13 games for the season

Not that it means the world or anything, but he got picked for the Super Series as a 17 year old. Tells you a little bit about what the OHL and TC think of him.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Meant to ask earlier but has he been playing F or D?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Saw him tonight, I thought he looked fantastic. His ability to keep pucks in at the blue line and make plays is extremely impressive. Was solid defensively as well, extremely confident and smart player, very impressive.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Saw him tonight, I thought he looked fantastic. His ability to keep pucks in at the blue line and make plays is extremely impressive. Was solid defensively as well, extremely confident and smart player, very impressive.
Despite his size, he actually defends very well. Projecting what he will be at the next level is tough though. He could end up playing in the same role (first pp, first pk as a forward, second or third pairing D).

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
My favorite "attainable" player from this draft (along with Beauvillier). If we could get either of them in the 2nd round i'd be ecstatic.

It's funny how similar they are stylistically, theyre both elite lvl jack of all trades type players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad