D Landon Dupont - Edge School U15 Prep, CSSHL U15 (2027 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could he play next year in the BCHL?

Because if he doesn't get ES, he can't play next year in the WHL, unless a team does what was done for Savoie.

BCHL would be better than playing minor hockey. And then the year after he could play junior in the USHL, which is pretty similar in level to the CHL leagues.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
CHL has to figure out how to stop losing these players. Whether it’s Power, Fantilli, Celebrini, and some others it’s a bad look for them. I think the OHL has suffered a lot because of it.
My feeling is that in this era of player empowerment, any league that relies on a draft for the acquisition and dispersal of players may be in trouble. A top end player has his pick of NCAA institutions. So, the CHL may have to adopt a tender style process similar to what is used in the USHL/NAHL.
There is little to no chance a kid that talented is going the Pirate Hockey League route.

No U17's, no U18's, no Hlinka-Gretzky. I'd bet everything I own he doesn't play in that league.

You are probably right but it does make for a great bargaining chip.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
There is little to no chance a kid that talented is going the Pirate Hockey League route.

No U17's, no U18's, no Hlinka-Gretzky. I'd bet everything I own he doesn't play in that league.
I definitely think he would. Brooks is a legit Jr A program in Canada and the level of play in the BCHL is higher than any minor hockey league he would be stuck in before USHL/CHL juniors if hes denied ES from the CHL. Aside from maybe U17s, hes not going to playing be U18 & up on the international level as a U16 Dman unless hes a Makar level prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Because if he doesn't get ES, he can't play next year in the WHL, unless a team does what was done for Savoie.

BCHL would be better than playing minor hockey. And then the year after he could play junior in the USHL, which is pretty similar in level to the CHL leagues.
you have to be 16 just like in the CHL. Most top WHL prospects have the "looking NCAA route" near draft time though so they can kinda control where they go. Preston was "going college" but he didn't want to go to PA, same for Ryan Lin and the Ruck twins last year. Dupont deserves exceptional but this is just a leverage play to help get it, Savoie tried the same thing.

On the off chance he does go Junior A which would be a giant waste of time he'd go to the Steel in the USHL so he can still represent Canada at events

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

it’s an Interesting question, BCHL does what it wants since it is no longer affiliated with HC.

But in the past it worked the same as the WHL, (Max 5 games, aside from Covid year)

I’m sure they’d allow it just to stick it to Hockey Canada, and I think that’d be awesome

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
you have to be 16 just like in the CHL. Most top WHL prospects have the "looking NCAA route" near draft time though so they can kinda control where they go. Preston was "going college" but he didn't want to go to PA, same for Ryan Lin and the Ruck twins last year. Dupont deserves exceptional but this is just a leverage play to help get it, Savoie tried the same thing.

On the off chance he does go Junior A which would be a giant waste of time he'd go to the Steel in the USHL so he can still represent Canada at events
He can't play USHL next season either, so if he's not playing next year in the WHL as an ES player, it'll be minor hockey.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He can't play USHL next season either, so if he's not playing next year in the WHL as an ES player, it'll be minor hockey.
I know was meaning he wouldn't play BCHL it'd be USHL. Next year would have to play Midget AAA with Edge again if he doesn't get exceptional but highly likely he gets it. Right now it's looking like it'll be either Edmonton, Everett(Kamloops pick) or Prince Albert(Seattle pick) who gets the 1st overall. Hopefully goes to Edmonton but wouldn't mind Everett. Prince Albert I'm not sure he'd want to go to as they already have Rudolph who's a elite talent himself and only so much PP time, plus some kids don't want to go to PA like Preston last year.

Would be interesting if Calgary would trade up for him though if a PA/Everett get 1st pick as they're going to both be good teams next year and could get Yakemchuk, pick 5-7 and maybe a couple other pieces to help immediately.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I believe from what I recall the USHL was willing to grant Michael Misa early U16 entry into their league if the CHL turned him down for ES, I could see the BCHL drafting up their own early U16/ES entry for an elite talent thats wanting to go the college route.

Reactions: Bubbles

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I wonder if Hockey Canada would need to back down if Dupont started a trend?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
CHL has to figure out how to stop losing these players. Whether it’s Power, Fantilli, Celebrini, and some others it’s a bad look for them. I think the OHL has suffered a lot because of it.

They're not doing anything at all. That's why the BCHL did what it did to at least provide the option for Canadians in the East to play in Canada and still maintain NCAA eligibility. It's done a good job of keeping the Western guys in Canada.

I believe from what I recall the USHL was willing to grant Michael Misa early U16 entry into their league if the CHL turned him down for ES, I could see the BCHL drafting up their own early U16/ES entry for an elite talent thats wanting to go the college route.

I believe the Chicago Steel tendered him. So HC panicked and gave Misa ES.

Reactions: cg98

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
It’s going to keep happening without some reforms. Years ago, some of these players would force a trade to a top tier CHL team; these days, the USHL tender process allows them to control their own destiny. They’d rather just choose Chicago or other well-known USHL teams instead of messing around with trades. Plus, NCAA is increasingly more attractive due to atmosphere, ability to play AHL earlier, quality of play, etc.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It’s going to keep happening without some reforms. Years ago, some of these players would force a trade to a top tier CHL team; these days, the USHL tender process allows them to control their own destiny. They’d rather just choose Chicago or other well-known USHL teams instead of messing around with trades. Plus, NCAA is increasingly more attractive due to atmosphere, ability to play AHL earlier, quality of play, etc.

The Chicago Steel has become the top destination for non-NTDP and Canadians. They really are better than most CHL teams with the amount of training, facilities and coaching.

The only way for Canada to compete is to either create their own NTDP or have a central facility for pre-CHL prodigies funded by HC. But HC is a bit busy spending it's dollars on lawyers. :sarcasm:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
To be honest, if I was the top or top 5 player in my region I would do the same. MacKinnon is the perfect example, a guy who was already playing in the states st prep school and got drafted to a team faar from his home that spoke a different language.

Why would he ever choose that option over ushl? He's already in the USA and can keep NCAA eligibility by picking Omaha (ushl team who had his rights).

In any other sport the top kids pick their academies. High schools, colleges , etc. Yet we were told it was a diva move for 15 year old kids to not report to CHL teams.

Kind of hilarious how that mentality actually stuck around until recently

Reactions: Oak and kyle44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad